Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

What do you do to keep fit?

(117 Posts)
Heirofthedog Wed 14-Oct-15 12:37:17

I am on a fitness crusade! Well, I'm talking about it anyway. Have signed up to a local yoga class and am hoping I won't be the only one in a baggy tracksuit and not able to touch my toes. What does everyone else do to keep fit? I walk a fair bit (always feel a Sunday roast deserves a pre or post ramble) but that's all. Am def feeling the 'winter layer' settling in but would like to still be fitting into my clothes post Christmas.

lizzypopbottle Thu 26-May-16 16:48:12

...started not stated! Just saying it doesn't confer much benefit! ?

Blinko Thu 26-May-16 19:08:42

DS bought me a Fitbit for my recent birthday (69, since you ask). It's linked to an app on my ipad. You wear it like a watch and it logs what you eat (which you input) and how much energy you expend in a day/week/month, takes the input from the cals burnt and hey presto, you can monitor how much weight you'll lose/gain if you carry on doing what you're doing. It even measures activity whilst sleeping and quality of sleep.

All very interesting and it puts you in control.

The OH is gadget mad and he's so taken with it that he has bought one too.

Blinko Thu 26-May-16 19:21:11

My sister tells me they have a trampette. I'm wondering if that's a pocket sized lady of the night (as they say) or - more likely - a miniature trampoline. confused

GrandmaMoira Thu 26-May-16 19:58:10

I'm 64 with 3 children. I started exercising when I retired 3 years ago as I was stiff, arthritic and had RSI. I did a weekly exercise class, a weekly swim and walked 10,000 a day. I had to stop at the beginning of the year due to severe prolapse. I had a hysterectomy and repair in February and back to walking but not swimming or exercise class. I will have to avoid some exercises (and heavy lifting) for life, as I don't want another prolapse. I think we have to keep active, even if it's housework and gardening rather than formal exercise, once we retire. I don't think I would age well if I was a couch potato.

Maggie725 Thu 26-May-16 22:51:25

I went to a 'taster' Pilates class, then on my own to be assessed. if you have particular problems tutors can do a 'worksheet' just for you, or join in with a group.
Go the same day weekly for an hour, and do what suits YOU.

absent Fri 27-May-16 07:01:48

One child, 66, 2–3 kilometres in the pool daily. Heaps of exhausting childcare.

winifred01 Fri 27-May-16 07:24:43

Just 80, have been going to gym regularly for 25 years+, Don't like classes but use weights and bands,then either treadmill,rower or cross trainer,go to gym 2 or 3 times a week.

Blinko Fri 27-May-16 08:44:43

Wow, Winifred01, that's inspired me for a start!

Babs1952 Fri 27-May-16 19:00:12

Retired last July and have tried to do 3 excercise classes a week at the leisure centre. Sh bam total body tone and fit steps. Haven't lost any weight but I do feel better for it. I have fit bit zip and I feel some thing is missing if I forget to wear it! I try to do 10000 steps a day. We are leaving the area in 3 weeks so will have to change the routine. I am 64 and have 2 children.

winifred01 Sun 29-May-16 21:45:43

Blinko
Have got a Fitbit for my 80th birthday from DSandDIL! I am thrilled. On another thread a daughter was asking for ideas for a birthday present for her Mum. I promised to report on what I received,well there is one idea!
Look forward to start using it tomorrow.

Nordog Mon 13-Jun-16 22:15:35

At just seventeen I'm quiet fit for my age so far so good as the saying goes. I ride a mountain bike called Rocky like this:https://youtu.be/T35Y0GWwXX0

Nordog Mon 13-Jun-16 22:21:17

At just seventeen I'm quiet fit for my age so far so good as the saying goes. I ride a mountain bike called Rocky like this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T35Y0GWwXX0&feature=youtu.be

That hill was very steep and the horses made it near imposible to climb as it rained the night before.

Nordog Wed 15-Jun-16 22:50:28

This was just my short walk to help others follow the trail for this Saturdays Cycle event have every year, our eigth, starte by my good pal Colin and I.
youtu.be/D3N_9bBoPOc

jenn Wed 15-Jun-16 23:19:20

im 65 I retired 5 years ago and thought I was doing enough exercise by walking my dogs daily and swimming 20 lengths 2/3 times a week as well as looking after my horse but realise it only takes up a couple of hours a day and the rest of the time I am a lazy sod.Exercise for exercise sake just doesn't appeal I know walking is the answer but I cant resist the car keys when shopping and classes are not for me. roll on the winter when mucking out is a good daily workout.

gettingonabit Thu 16-Jun-16 06:54:06

I'm a lazy sod too. jenn you don't sound like a lazy sod to me.

I try to walk an hour a day. I frequently fail. However I play tennis once a week, and do a zumba class once a fortnight.

I dislike walking for the sake of it, so try to make it a part of my daily life.

I'd like to do weights, to tone up my arms.

Nonnie1 Thu 16-Jun-16 13:16:56

If you have a partner who is inclined to exercise then you are lucky. Mine works very hard. He gets up at 5.30am every day and does not return home until about 6pm or even later. He will not exercise at all, not even at the weekends.

If he did, I would do more.

He exercises his finger though.. on the remote smile