Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Diet drinks

(26 Posts)
NanKate Thu 03-Dec-15 16:14:26

Can anyone tell me what diet drinks they like, as a friend suggested I try a diet coke and I am still feeling queasy 3 hours later? shock

I do drink plenty of water but want something with few calories but good taste.

tanith Thu 03-Dec-15 16:48:51

I drink a lemon and lime one or cloudy lemonade from Tesco, some people seem to really taste the sweeteners in diet drinks but its never bothered me.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 03-Dec-15 18:25:25

I'm one of those who doesn't like the taste of sweeteners, and I find diet drinks too sweet as well as funny-tasting. What about orange juice with fizzy water? I know there are calories in the orange juice, but the water lets you have a glass with fewer calories. if you see what I mean.

shysal Thu 03-Dec-15 18:48:40

I am usually happy to drink water, but on the odd occasion I will have Caffeine and sugar free Coke. As I never have the sugary version it tastes fine to me. Another option is sugar free squash with diet lemonade or fizzy water.

kassi Thu 03-Dec-15 19:03:02

I can't drink tea, coffee, or hot chocolate, as all make me vomit, and I don't know why. This started when I was in the menopause, and has never gone away. I had the same when I was pregnant so suspect that it's hormonal. I drink diet coke and water, but coke and a nice piece of cake just isn't the same! I just don't know what else to try. I can't stand flavoured water and the like.

loopylou Thu 03-Dec-15 19:03:35

I like diet coke or water but my favourite is grapefruit juice and soda in a tall glass with ice (which is my drink of choice whenever we go out too).

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Dec-15 19:09:49

The only tea I can drink at the moment is a weak darjeeling. Used to like a good strong cup of tea.

Perhaps try a Robinsons No Added Sugar fruit squash NanKate? I've gone off sweeteners myself. Can't digest them.

gettingonabit Thu 03-Dec-15 19:20:52

I like Diet Coke, but it doesn't satisfy a sweet craving for me. I agree it tastes very odd alongside "proper" sugary food.

My current drink is watered-down smoothie, with lots of ice. Or one of those little cartons of fruit juice.

I used to like Ribena too. Can't stand the "no added sugar" drinks.

Maranta Thu 03-Dec-15 19:26:55

I don't like artificial sweeteners either, won't touch them.
On the rare occasions when I don't want tea I drink waterered down fruit concentrate.

Pittcity Thu 03-Dec-15 19:36:05

I have a terrible "hangover" if I have artificial sweeteners and so steer clear of diet drinks. Surprisingly a lot of "full fat" lemonades etc have artificial sweeteners in too.
I have discovered Fever tree mixers which are natural. I love the elderflower tonic water.
Fizzy water is my soft drink of choice when out.

M0nica Thu 03-Dec-15 19:42:12

The juice of half a fresh lime put in a glass and topped up with fizzy water. It works well with lemon as well, but can be a bit sharp. But like others I also go for fruit juice and fizzy water.

I find sweeteners taste nasty and aspartame can give me headaches.

Greyduster Thu 03-Dec-15 19:59:12

I'm another who likes fruit juice diluted with water, fizzy or otherwise. I hate diet drinks and any kind of sugar substitute. My diet drink of choice is tap water. I have to say, I'm very fond of cold tea (no milk or sugar!).

seacliff Thu 03-Dec-15 20:21:50

I drink diet coke but also want to get away from artificial sweeteners. Yet i love fizzy cold drinks.

I also drink Robinsons lemon as a hot drink, but that has Sucralose, Acesulfame K which doesn't sound good either.

I enjoy Tesco Sparkling Water Hint Of Lemon And Lime but that has Sweetener (Sucralose).

I am thinking of trying sparkling water and roses lime juice.

NanKate Thu 03-Dec-15 21:32:16

Thanks for all these suggestions will do a bit of a tasting in the next week or so.

I am trying to lose a stone and am half way there and think by cutting down on the drinks I have with my lunch and supper could knock off another pound or so.

The sweet sugary taste of the Diet Coke was just not for me, I could taste it hours later.

I like the idea of adding fizzy water to fruit juice. Also the elderflower tonic water sounds good, but I have tinnitus and was told the quinine in tonic water would make the clatter going on in my head worse.

I will check out the Robinsons squash too Jing thanks.

ConniePowell Tue 08-Dec-15 11:22:45

Hey Thanks for sharing this guys.

JamesFidler Sat 14-Jan-17 06:51:10

I have read in an article that diet coke are more harmful than regular ones. So I would suggest you to stop drinking these diet drinks instead drink lime water.

Pharmascience1 Tue 21-Nov-17 09:30:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

marielosgonza95 Sat 25-Nov-17 05:29:00

Hello! I suggest natural drinks or just water, those are the healthiest options. You can also try with powder protein to make smoothies, this helps to tone muscles as well. The suplements that I like the most for my beverages is sunestron.

sharoncurley Fri 27-Jul-18 19:13:03

I add blackcurrant Robinsons squash to cold milky tea, works a treat. Tastes like ice cream but is virtually calorie free. You should definitely try it.

Richa94 Thu 16-Aug-18 13:05:49

For me limewater is the best substitute of diet coke, it not only refreshes the body but also contains very less amount of calories. Other than that it also helps in improving digestion. Fruit juice is also the best alternative to diet coke.
If you are also looking for a diet drink, then you should definitely try these alternatives.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Aug-18 14:21:22

Fizzy or still water with sliced cucumber, lime, lemon or any sliced fruit is delicious (if you leave a jug in the fridge giving it time to infuse all the better)

Nandalot Thu 16-Aug-18 15:10:41

Leave the diet drinks alone if they contain aspartame. I keep trying to persuade my DD not to drink so much Diet Coke.

Abigailmckd Wed 27-Mar-19 08:04:09

Thanks for the ideas.i can't take aspartame and buying drinks is difficult. Cloudy apple juice is just as good?

Marydoll Wed 27-Mar-19 08:47:27

Remember, Kate, that grapefruit juice can interfere with certain medications. I love grapefruit juice, but it's a no, no for me nowadays.

I drink Pepsi Max, far too much of it!

FlexibleFriend Wed 27-Mar-19 10:14:12

I drink Tesco's sparkling spring water Lemon and Lime flavour and only Tesco's will do. I've tried loads of others and they taste different. Each to their own.