Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

A new low-carb support thread for 2016

(995 Posts)
Mamie Fri 01-Jan-16 05:59:16

Thought we needed a shiny new thread for the New Year.
The thread is intended to support people who are already on the diet or want to start losing weight / gaining health benefits by low-carbing.
Here is a simple explanation of this way of eating and how it works.
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
You do not have to count calories, weigh anything, exercise furiously or feel hungry.
You do have to cut out sugar and sugar-substitutes and avoid starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice and pasta.
You need to eat lots of vegetables (especially those grown above ground) and protein which can be cheese, eggs, meat, fish etc. You can eat olive oil, butter and other natural fats. You can eat limited amounts of fruit, dark chocolate and some alcoholic drinks in moderation.
You need to avoid anything labelled low-fat and most processed food and drink.
Here is a link to the Mumsnet low-carb bootcamp thread, for those who want to lose weight more quickly than the diet adopted by most people on the existing Gransnet thread.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/low_carb_bootcamp
Here is a link to the original Gransnet thread - though there is absolutely no need to plough through it before you start. grin
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1214778-Support-and-ideas-for-those-on-low-carb-diet

We aim to help each other by offering ideas, recipes and support. Welcome aboard!

pixie1 Sat 27-May-17 16:04:23

I've been trying the low carb diet since Christmas and have lost 10lbs. It's a very easy diet to follow, none or very little potatoes, pasta, bread or sugar on weekdays and I eat what I want (within reason) at the weekend.

No alcohol on weekdays either.

I also walk approximately 5/6 miles every day.

Thaverever Mon 27-Feb-17 06:59:42

Hello all, breakfast should be a health and light food, as other sad toasted bread with some butter or cheese and jam!

Anya Mon 08-Aug-16 18:42:04

A death wish grin that's hilarious BB

Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 11:35:21

New thread here
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1228651-Low-carb-support-thread-2016-Part-2

BBbevan Mon 08-Aug-16 08:23:15

I think a new thread just like this would be great. I do get a bit cross with some people on other threads who seem to think we have some sort of death wish by eating LCHF.
But new open minded people might find this interesting and helpful

Grannyknot Mon 08-Aug-16 07:30:14

Hi mamie smile good to see you've bounced back from the disappointment. Hope your OH is on the mend flowers.

Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 07:10:15

The weight will go again though Lazigirl with a few strict days. Felt much more cheerful after dinner in the garden and a treat - a Lidl's pannacotta choc-ice each! Also, on the plus side we are not having to flog up to Calais and cross the Channel in August, which we normally try to avoid.
Courgette mountain calls tonight, so baked courgettes. peppers, chorizo and onion with eggs added at the end.

Lazigirl Sun 07-Aug-16 18:57:43

Been away so just caught up. How disappointing for you both Mamie. Hope your OH improves soon. Have some treats as a compensation. Mind you sounds like every meal in your house is a treat! Bb That's really brilliant and just goes to show that it is possible by restricting carbs to prevent Diabetes T2 whatever the "experts" say. The kit I got from the surgery was BG and Ketone monitoring kit, which is given to diabetics and measures low BG too, not sure if available to buy. Am still not down to my target weight as have been staying with friends and eating fish pie with mash, chips with steak, plus crumbles and ice cream twice. Gained 3lbs over 3 days. Just goes to show how easy it is to go back to sq one if not maintaining low carb diet.

BBbevan Sun 07-Aug-16 12:27:36

Courgette city here!!!

Mamie Sun 07-Aug-16 08:22:14

Goodness ffin three years; that is a long time.
The aubergine recipe sounds great. Ours are growing, but still tiny. On the other hand the courgettes..... grin

ffinnochio Sun 07-Aug-16 06:58:44

Just caught up. That really is a blow about not seeing the grandkids for another year Mamie. Haven't seen my lot from across the pond for 3 years, but off to do so soonish.

Char grilled some globe aubergines last night - oiled and rubbed with garlic, with feta cheese crumbled on top, and a squeeze of lemon. Piled on top of rocket and tomatoe salad. All washed down with a bottle of corona with a wedge of lemon stuffed in the top.

Good weather here too smile

Mamie Sun 07-Aug-16 06:17:25

Thanks both. He will recover slowly I am sure, but not getting to see the grandchildren for a year is a real blow.
We shall need a new thread soon! Should we continue with the brief intro and links at the top for new people? Does anything need to be added?
Definitely barbie weather today - lemon chicken and greek salad I think.

BBbevan Sat 06-Aug-16 20:28:43

Oh dear what a shame Mamie I do hope your DH feels better soon. My DH has a wonky knee which is a bit tender at the moment. We have the GDs staying and have been to the zoo today. So lots of walking.

Anya Sat 06-Aug-16 19:03:40

Sorry to hear about your DH Mamie sad

Mamie Sat 06-Aug-16 12:06:30

We put tapenade on grilled red mullet here; so easy. We are having our favourite monkfish and bacon kebabs here tonight.
Feeling a bit fed up though. OH has had no trouble with his knee ligament since he lost weight but has a really bad flare-up at the moment. We were meant to go to the UK next week to see our son and family who are over from Spain. Doctor has said he can't do the journey. We haven't seen them since January and now it may be another year. sad

Anya Sat 06-Aug-16 07:31:53

I made some tapenade yesterday. I cut some semi-defrosted cod into big fingers, topped with the tapenade and wrapped them in smoked bacon. Popped them in oven for about 20-25 minutes and served with samphire.

Quick, very tasty and healthy.

Have frozen excess tapenade in ice cube trays then transferred cubes to freezer bags.

BBbevan Fri 05-Aug-16 15:44:06

Thank you all on here. I have been greatly encouraged by your stories and the wonderful recipes. flowers from me xxxxxx

Anya Fri 05-Aug-16 14:00:40

WONDERFUL NEWS BB

flowers sunshine smile

BBbevan Thu 04-Aug-16 19:06:45

Thanks Mamie

Mamie Thu 04-Aug-16 19:04:52

Brilliant. Well done you. flowers

BBbevan Thu 04-Aug-16 18:57:53

Borderline is now 6.5, used to be 7.0 so well under now. The doctor was beaming,She said she had never had anyone do that I must admit I shed a little tear. So no medication, I have to pop in in 3 month just to see that everything alright and then yearly.
What a relief.
And she recommended a Mediterranean diet to keep things on track
Thanks for the good wishes Shysal, much appreciated

shysal Thu 04-Aug-16 16:24:16

Well done, BB. All your hard work has paid off! What is the cut-off point between borderline and normal?

BBbevan Thu 04-Aug-16 16:12:25

Hurray hurray, hurray. BS down from 7.6 to 5.7 . Doctor couldn't stop smiling and neither can I

BBbevan Thu 04-Aug-16 12:44:25

I bought some BG strips Lazigirl But as my original BS was 7.6 and the first measurement on these is 10 , they always come up with negative BS. Do GP have different ones?Only asking as I have to take a urine sample this afternoon

Tizliz Thu 04-Aug-16 12:26:10

Saw my dr this morning and discussed OH's diet (without actually mentioning his name, can't discuss another patient!). She said "if it works for him, and it obviously is, then stick to it. Every diet has it's good points and if you find one you can stick to then that is a good diet". Nice to have a voice of reason. Shame she can't help with my arthritis ☹️