Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Reaction to being told you cant lose weight over 50!

(81 Posts)
ClareWhittam Wed 06-Apr-16 09:36:31

Has anyone one else read or been told that it is nigh on impossible to lose weight when you are over 50? Does anyone else agree that statement is a load of horse droppings and has managed to defy the "odds"?
( I decided to prove them wrong and lost a couple of stone last year - healthily, by doing 5:2 diet and kettlebell exercises)
Would love to hear your stories of how you did it.
Granny Clare xx
Ps Before and after pics would be great too. Let's celebrate!! smile

Jane43 Fri 27-Jul-18 13:09:26

Well I’m 74 and have lost 25 pounds since the beginning of March. I have dieted on and off all my adult life and this time it has been really hard, much harder than ever before. I have had to cut out breakfast and limit bread to one slice a day, the rest of my diet is fruit, vegetables, brown rice or quinoa, Greek yogurt, a small amount of cheese, chicken and fish. I only drink coffee with soya milk and no sugar or water. I have been trying to do 10000 steps a day as walking is the only exercise I can do comfortably. It wouldn’t suit some people but I feel so much better and will keep going until my BMI is 25.

Lizzypopbottle well done on your achievement. Is TDEE the same as BMR? I read about BMR when I was failing to lose weight despite eating healthily and found that my recommended daily calories at rest were 1300. I am 5’ 8” and found during my research that my waist should be no more than 34” and only have one more inch to lose. That was when I realised that I was going to have to be much more stringent with my diet than previous attempts when I was younger. I found that eating between the hours of 11:30 and 19:30 suited me better than the 5:2 but any form of fasting is supposed to be beneficial and has become a way of life now.

I have about 7 pounds to lose to reach a BMI of 25 so the end is in sight. Congratulations to all who have lost weight and if you have some pounds to lose don’t let age deter you.

notanan2 Wed 27-Jun-18 20:55:45

also I can no longer "match" DH food wise.

His health kicks look very different to mine. We used to be able to eat healthy together and basically eat the same but now he can still metabolise quite a lot of food and be a healthy weight, but I can't.

notanan2 Wed 27-Jun-18 20:53:00

it is certainly harder! I found that over 40 the amt of calories I needed to loose or maintain weight (even if exercising lots) are far far tighter than they were under 40.

I have had to totally change my mindset about how much food I think I need as it has changed.

If I ate now the way I ate as a slim 20 something I would be huge.

So there is some truth in it in that my old ways for maintaining weigh no longer work, but I CAN loose & maintain weight.

websub1 Sat 13-Jan-18 11:41:05

I'm over 50 and I've lost 55lbs so it is possible.
In my experience, the hot flushes can actually help your weight loss efforts (a bit anyway). Because, when you have a hot flush or night sweats, your body temperature rises. And when your body has to work to change your body temperature, either up or down, it uses up energy. The result is that you burn a few more calories! This is good news if you’re trying to lose weight and you’re over 50 or in the menopause or peri menopause.
I definitely noticed that when I hit my late forties and then the big 50, my metabolism slowed down. While it did take almost a year before I saw a difference, I found a way to speed up my metabolism. And I now benefit from a metabolism which I think is equal to how it was ten years ago.
My Energy levels dropped too, but walking a lot helped me get them back up. Not sure if it's okay to post a link to my blog here. Please remove if not, but I wrote an article on this exact subject which might be useful Losing weight after 50

BBbevan Mon 13-Nov-17 20:57:30

I am 73. Was diagnosed diabetic. Went on the Low Carb diet. Lost two and half stone. Reversed my diabetes and continue to maintain weight loss . Willpower is all you need.

jeanie99 Mon 13-Nov-17 20:26:56

Complete rubbish.
I didn't need to loose any weight but went on a restricted diet because I was pre diabetic and lost one and a half stone and I'm 72.

Leemaria Sat 16-Sep-17 08:02:15

At the age of 52 my weight was creeping up and I thought it's now or never (wanted to loose a stone). Joined slimming world after a friend done well with them. Well it's been a revelation, lost 7lb in six weeks and cooking good food from scratch, and cutting out the rubbish. As I really put my mind to it I have found it quite easy. So I really think it's all about determination.

Emmaline Sat 12-Aug-17 11:29:01

I think that the most of us are aware that eating less and moving more is the ideal way to lose weight but unfortunately there are a lot of us who don't have simplistic lives and very often the term walking in other peoples shoes comes to mind!

Ambergirl Sat 05-Aug-17 20:25:04

It is really simple....eat less and move more. As we age our metabolism does slow, so we need less and we are less mobile. Maintaining a healthy weight in this day and age with so much food available and in temptations way can be tricky. It takes discipline, but certainly is possible. Personally I think fancy strict diets don't work. Simply eat healthy food and not too many carbs and sugar and watch portion size and the weight will come off with a bit of exercise thrown in!

Emmaline Sat 05-Aug-17 19:05:26

I'm 82 nearly 83 and disabled with a very bad back which causes me a lot of pain so I have to take a lot of meds and I think that they slow down my ability to lose weight along with the fact that when the pain is VERY bad I cannot stand long enough to make myself a decent meal so I have to grab what I can from the kitchen and that often means I not only eat all the wrong things but I indulge in much more than I would ordinarily eat.. I am very sedentary and can't exercise so with that I find it very hard to lose the weight but then to keep it off!
I started to diet in 2010 at 226lbs and by 2014 I got down to around 190lbs but I'm now back at 209lbs shock which is most disappointing but I am determined not to give up! smile

LadyGracie Sat 05-Aug-17 12:09:14

I've lost 1st 7lbs in the last couple of months on SW. I'm 66

JackyB Sat 05-Aug-17 12:05:06

I keep meaning to try and lose weight, but then I think "why bother now I'm over 60". The wrong attitude, I know, but I am also put off by the fact that it definitely is harder once you're past the menopause.

Recently I had a tummy bug and didn't eat for nearly 4 weeks, lost 5 kg, but my trousers were still tight. (Where did it go?)

DS2 has announced he will be getting married in 2 weeks. I wonder if I can lose some weight and shape up by then?

goose1964 Sat 05-Aug-17 09:16:02

I was told this by my blood pressure nurse. I have lost weight recently as I'm not well ( gall stones, liver and pancreatic problems) so I can't eat anything containing fat ans the nausea stops me from picking and eating large meals

Smurf52 Thu 03-Aug-17 21:16:05

Well I lost 6 stone four years ago when my marriage broke up. Narcissist ex was playing mindgames with me. I just completely lost my appetite. Now i am in a better place i have gone back up to 18st 7lbs!! I went to an Allen Carr hypnotherapy seminar in January and after being a chocaholic all my life, don't touch the stuff now but still can't seem to lose weight by trying to eating healthily and cutting down. In my teens to 50s I lost weight so much easier. It defo is harder when you're in your mid 60s.

BlueBelle Wed 14-Jun-17 06:48:04

72 and lost stone and a half between last October and December
at 5 4 ( lost three inches to osteoporosis) and now just over 10stone I feel about right any lower and I ll start going wrinkly
You can lose weight at any age if you put your mind to it I put weight on when I eat too much ....simples

ginny Wed 14-Jun-17 06:31:32

I commented when this was a new thread but just wanted to say that I have now lost almost 4 1/2 st . I am definitely over 50.

Dyffryn Wed 14-Jun-17 00:12:03

I have recently started the 5:2 diet having read about it on this forum. I have read the book and feel quite inspired by it. I have been on it two weeks and have already seen a difference. I am feeling really positive about this eating plan

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Jun-17 23:54:57

it seems to grow in more unexpected places too!
Although my eyelashes have got a bit sparse.

DH and I have lost half a stone each and I said to him this morning that this is not the time to relax - onwards and inwards is the way to go!
However, we do have a couple of meals out booked hmm

paddyann Tue 13-Jun-17 23:18:15

lot of rubbish just like the folk who say your hair stops growing when you pass 50..if mine hadn't been cut every 6-8 weeks it would be knee length..IF you want to lose weight you will

Cherrytree59 Tue 13-Jun-17 20:43:15

I'm 58 and have so far lost 6lbs at slimming world.
Last year I lost one stone for an operation.

Since the age of 19 I have been a yoyo dieter.
I need a reason to get my butt into gear.
I have tried so many times to lose weight under my own steam, but always fail.
I have to pay up and do a weekly weigh in.

This time it is for a family mi!e stone birthday party.

Having said all of that I do eat very healthy food.
Fish, veg, fruit.
But other things obviously make their way passed my lipsblush

LadyGracie Tue 13-Jun-17 19:59:22

I've lost 11 1/2lbs in 5 weeks on SlimmingWorld, next weigh in tomorrow, I may have gained this week because of my birthday lunch with family yesterday (I'm 66) - but I'm back on track today and determined to lose another stone.

mimiro Tue 13-Jun-17 19:53:31

menopause added weight
after menopause all but about a stone came back off.
do come from family of tall slim women tho

genetics and medicines do effect the out come

loopyloo Tue 13-Jun-17 19:45:04

I eat through boredom, and when I go in the kitchen I want to eat something. Have absolutely no willpower. Before Christmas when I was told I was a type 2 diabetic I was so good and lost half a stone,but now really struggling.
But will make a new start.

NfkDumpling Thu 01-Dec-16 07:31:24

The 5.2 diet didn't work for me. I lost a pound on the 'fast' days and then promptly put it straight back on on the eat days although I stuck to around 1,000 to 1,100 calories. I lost a stone at Weightwatchers over a two year period, three years ago but that's slipped back on. I'm trying to cut down on fat at the moment but nothing much seems to shift it. Dodgy knees and hips stop me doing much exercise, can't even use my legs to swim. I tried rowing at the gym but that just made me hungry!
I need to loose a stone to stop being in the overweight category. Any suggestions welcome!

ninathenana Thu 01-Dec-16 07:28:41

I believe there is a whole thread about the 5-2 diet