Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Reaction to being told you cant lose weight over 50!

(80 Posts)
ClareWhittam Wed 06-Apr-16 09:36:31

Has anyone one else read or been told that it is nigh on impossible to lose weight when you are over 50? Does anyone else agree that statement is a load of horse droppings and has managed to defy the "odds"?
( I decided to prove them wrong and lost a couple of stone last year - healthily, by doing 5:2 diet and kettlebell exercises)
Would love to hear your stories of how you did it.
Granny Clare xx
Ps Before and after pics would be great too. Let's celebrate!! smile

whitewave Wed 06-Apr-16 09:42:14

Rubbish! Tell that to those people without enough to eat.

Rowantree Wed 06-Apr-16 09:47:18

Well....I'm struggling. I'm 62 and extremely overweight. Been on the 5/2 for ages - not just for weight but cholesterol. FInd it VERY difficult not to cheat but I lose weight on fast days and then it goes back again. I am on meds which are associated with weight gain, which doesn't help, so that's possibly acting against me. I'm at a loss and sadly it's not weight. :-(

Alima Wed 06-Apr-16 09:50:39

Absolute cobblers, I lost nearly 3 stone at over 50 from 2000. Managed to keep it off mostly too apart from a couple of hiccups, mostly due to holidays. I honestly find I do not have the capacity for food that I had when younger. Did not follow a diet as such, just ate sensibly, incorporating my daily Mars bar, snack size for the duration. Have no before and after pics, just think blob, not blob!

NannyLondon Wed 06-Apr-16 09:51:05

Wow ! Really ?
Glad I didn't know that last year when I lost a few kg.
I went from a size 20 to a size 8 and I am 65.
The hardest part (for me) is keeping it off.

chloe1984 Wed 06-Apr-16 09:58:06

I lost six and half stones over two and half years with a slimming club. I started when I was 59 now 65 and have kept it off since hitting target. But won't lie it has not been easy but well worth while. Prove them wrong.sunshine

f77ms Wed 06-Apr-16 10:05:25

I lost weight recently after finding out I had high blood fats , it can be done but I think your metabolism slows down as you age so it is harder .

ClareWhittam Wed 06-Apr-16 10:06:59

Hi Rowantree Yes meds are a bggr for mucking up the system. The 5:2 is meant to be a healthy way of eating anyway, weight loss or not. My heart consultant is very enamoured. So great you are doing it!
Can you add in some exercising too? I was told muscles burn fat even while resting (!) so I did some light weight stuff ( the kettlebells)
Good luck Cx

NannyLondon Wed 06-Apr-16 10:21:22

Hi Rowantree; have a read of "The eight week blood sugar diet".
It's been an inspiration to me.
And good luck.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Apr-16 10:23:05

Clarewhittam who was it that gave you that information? Is it on the net? A link would be very interesting. I certainly don't agree with it. If it is just friends and acquaintances saying it, ignore!

pompa Wed 06-Apr-16 10:36:19

What a load of b@@@@@@@@s! Stop putting food in your mouth and any fit person will lose weight, at any age.
I'm 71 and have lost 18 pound in the last 6 weeks, simply by reducing the amount I eat (and modifying the diet slightly) plus a little more exercise. With a little will power, it is a life style that I can continue. Still have the occasional choc and glass of wine. MrsP has done the same, but it's rude to ask a ladies age.

One warning, IF you start losing weight for no reason, see your Doc.

NotTooOld Wed 06-Apr-16 10:40:37

TBH I do think it is easier to lose weight when you are younger because you are forever rushing between job and family, juggling all those balls in the air, so you get more exercise and less time to eat. As a retiree I'm still busy but I do have the time to be on gnet for an hour or to read a book or do some painting. Yes, I get exercise, play badminton twice a week and walk on non-badminton days but it's not the same as being constantly on the go and on my feet as it was when I was teaching and raising a family.

ClareWhittam Wed 06-Apr-16 11:06:59

Hi jinglbellsfrocks The idea that our metabolic rate starts slowing down after 40, (so by 50 it is snail's pace) is all over the Net - even in some medical articles, so I had originally given up at 50. Then last year decided it didnt feel right, letting myself me told what my body can and can't do!! Argh Bit like being told I can't wear hooded sweatshirts at my age! Red rag to a bull.

Nonnie Wed 06-Apr-16 11:33:31

Rubbish! My friend who has been overweight for years has just lost about 2 stone which is a lot for someone as short as her. She did it by going for long walks every day and watching what she ate as well as going for a weigh in every week. I could learn from her as I have put some weight on but don't blame my meds or health issues which cause weight gain. It is simple, I am eating more than I am burning and there is no excuse for that. I know I have to live on about 800 calories a day or I gain weight. Must go back to doing it.

pensionpat Wed 06-Apr-16 11:46:30

Most people know how to lose weight, whatever their age. Eat less and move more. The method is far more complicated and will vary. I've lost more than 2 stone and lowered my cholesterol. I have done it with Slimming World. However I never stayed to a meeting. That wasn't for me. I paid £5 a week to be weighed basically, but the commitment was important and I never weighed myself at home. That was the difficult part. I also walk more than I ever had, but need to do more I think. I am 68.

Charleygirl Wed 06-Apr-16 12:12:11

What do you do with the excess skin if you have lost a lot of weight?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Apr-16 12:26:59

I think metabolism probably does slow down after menopause. That must make it harder to lose weight. It probably depends on whether you can summon up the energy/motivation to keep being as active as you were before. That can be difficult. I'm finding it harder and harder to keep up the exercise. Even the gardening doesn't motivate me as much as it did before. Alright, I'm seventy four, but I know I have to keep moving.

I guess I just need to say, "Shift it, you lazy bu---!"

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Apr-16 12:28:16

Chilly weather doesn't help either. I crave warmth.

winifred01 Wed 06-Apr-16 13:14:42

I swear by the5-2 diet . 2 years ago was 11St. 5 lbs, at under 5ft! For past year I have kept my weight to 8 St 7lb . I am 79 so it isn't too late to lose weight, wish I had known about this diet years ago, it suits me. Exercise helps but it iscalories that make the difference. Give it a go

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Apr-16 13:37:10

I couldn't do the 5.2 diet. I don't like feeling weak with hunger. I think that diet is unnatural. I would like to be nine and a half stone. I have eight pounds to lose. And I don't think I can do it.

Atqui Wed 06-Apr-16 14:59:49

Good question Charleygirl when you get older the skin loses its elasticity doesn't it?Especially if one has yo yo 'd . I lost quite a lot of weight after retiring, but when I look in the mirror at my 'turkey neck' It's hard not to be upset. I've got over the flabby bingo wings as I can wear clothes with sleeves , but I hate looking older than my years.

Greyduster Wed 06-Apr-16 15:14:14

My friend is in her late seventies and she lost three stone on the slimming world regime and said it didn't feel like a diet. I lost a stone and a half on the 5-2 diet but I am a professional backslider and went and put it all back on again! But in respect of the OP, yes, it's a load of tosh!

ginny Wed 06-Apr-16 15:14:22

I must be younger than I thought then. Have so far lost 1 St. 10 lbs. since Christmas .

lizzypopbottle Wed 06-Apr-16 15:28:51

I lost a stone doing 5:2 and have kept it off through 18 months. I lost the hump off my back and regained my waist. I no longer loosen my belt and undo the top button on my jeans when I sit down. However, I do still fast regularly twice a week. I am 64. I will never allow that hump to come back so 5:2 is for life. It also helps to protect me from the age related conditions my mother suffered from e.g. type 2 diabetes, heart and blood pressure problems, dementia etc.

It's really important to calculate your true calorie 'needs' by searching for a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculator on line. Put your details in then you divide by 4 to find your fasting allowance. The 2000 calorie suggestion for women is an average for the 'average woman'. If you are shorter or taller than 5'4" your calorie needs will be different. If you are very heavy, you don't have to struggle on 500 calls on fasting days. You will lose weight if you consume 25% of your TDEE twice a week and it's higher the heavier you are. You must keep recalculating as the weight drops off because your calorie needs will go down. The more exercise you do, the more calories you are allowed. It's important not to go mad and exceed your TDEE on non fasting days.

lizzypopbottle Wed 06-Apr-16 15:32:07

Phone rang! Just one more thing (promise) You don't know what you are capable of until you try. Be determined!