Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Low-carb support thread 2016 Part 2

(827 Posts)
Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 11:31:57

The thread is intended to support people who are already on the diet or want to start losing weight / gaining health benefits by low-carbing.
Here is a simple explanation of this way of eating and how it works.
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
You do not have to count calories, weigh anything, exercise furiously or feel hungry.
You do have to cut out sugar and sugar-substitutes and avoid starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice and pasta.
You need to eat lots of vegetables (especially those grown above ground) and protein which can be cheese, eggs, meat, fish etc. You can eat olive oil, butter and other natural fats. You can eat limited amounts of fruit, dark chocolate and some alcoholic drinks in moderation.
You need to avoid anything labelled low-fat and most processed food and drink.
Link to previous thread here
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1222065-A-new-low-carb-support-thread-for-2016
Welcome aboard!

Mamie Wed 01-Feb-17 17:53:45

Lazigirl I think the great thing about low-carbing is that exercise doesn't make much difference. Still important for health reasons obviously but helpful if he is unable to move much for a bit.

Lazigirl Wed 01-Feb-17 18:35:22

Michael Moseley on BBC2 tonight 8pm exploring comparative weight loss benefits of diet and exercise.

merlotgran Wed 01-Feb-17 18:37:08

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/brussels-sprouts-recipes/middle-eastern-roasted-sprouts/

I had some sprouts to use up so gave the above recipe a go.
Really delicious with pork chops.

I'm finding a gluten free diet an absolute doddle because the main baddies which have to be avoided are bread and pasta and we're not eating them anyway. I've always thickened sauces with cornflour and have raided the 'free from' aisle in Tesco for things like mayonnaise, stock cubes and gravy granules.

GF foods are not cheap though hmm

NewgranGill Thu 02-Feb-17 17:04:24

merlogran - what do you use to thicken sauces instead of cornflour

Anya Thu 02-Feb-17 18:04:40

Cornflour is gluten free. I think Merlot does use cornflour.

NewgranGill Fri 03-Feb-17 10:55:58

Thanks for that Anya. I know this diet seems very simple - just don't eat grains, things that grow below ground and sugar but I am getting a little confused when I read that people are eating Jerusalem artichoke, which are growing like weeds in the garden but as they're below ground have told DH I can't have, and I do like them so I think I will have instead of potatoes.

Mamie Fri 03-Feb-17 11:04:27

That is me NewGranGill. I reached target weight two years ago and am now using the diet to maintain the weight so have some below ground vegetables. Sorry to confuse you!

NewgranGill Fri 03-Feb-17 14:01:28

Mamie, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Anya Fri 03-Feb-17 15:49:12

Just don't go near any naked flames NewgranGill shock

Linsco56 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:45:46

I've been low carbing for just over 4 weeks and have lost 9lbs of the stone which has crept on slowly over the last year. I'm enjoying the food and it's great to lose weight without going hungry. However, I really miss having a couple of glasses of wine on a Saturday night and that has been the biggest test of willpower.
Has anyone else experienced facial flushing while low carbing or is it just me?

merlotgran Fri 03-Feb-17 23:00:28

Gin and slimline tonic is carb free grin

Linsco56 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:57:45

Dinner tonight. Smoked haddock on spinach topped with grated cheddar mixed with mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and ground nutmeg. It was lovely!

Anya Sun 05-Feb-17 22:31:33

No facial flushing linsco but well done on your weight loss. Hopefully it's just a temporary flush and will subside.

Your haddock dish looks lovely. I do a dinner with smoked haddock, spinach, crême fraiche in mini pots and I drop an egg into it and top with cheese, then bake in the oven until eggs cooked and cheese melted.

Bet it has similar flavours to your meal..

Araabra Sun 05-Feb-17 23:41:50

Mamie How do you make chickpea crackers, please recipe?

Mamie Mon 06-Feb-17 05:33:47

Recipe here Araabra
food52.com/recipes/28121-za-atar-spiced-chickpea-crackers-with-maldon-sea-salt
I use other spices like turmeric and cumin sometimes.

Araabra Mon 06-Feb-17 10:56:56

Thank you.

Anya Mon 06-Feb-17 14:25:38

Just ordered Tom Kerridge's Dopamine Diet - it's all about low carb.

Anya Mon 06-Feb-17 14:26:27

He's lost 11stone!

Linsco56 Mon 06-Feb-17 15:14:13

Wow! 11 stone, that's a whole person.

Anya Mon 06-Feb-17 15:28:20

grin

Mamie Mon 06-Feb-17 15:55:01

It is am amazing weight loss.
Well done Linsco56. I have stuck with a couple of glasses of dry wine when I feel like it. ??

Araabra Mon 06-Feb-17 17:09:23

We like this in depth of winter. www.gingeybites.com/2013/05/hairy-dieters-spanish-style-chicken-bake.html

BBbevan Mon 06-Feb-17 20:14:37

That is a collective favourite on here Araabra

NanKate Mon 06-Feb-17 20:49:07

Anya Tom Kerridge lives in our town and I see him regularly on a Monday morning with his fitness trainer just before they go running together. He looks so much better now he has slimmed down - 11 stone wowee ! He can also get seen pushing his young child round in a buggy. He is very down to earth and is not flashy at all.

That haddock meal looked wonderful Linsco however if I presented that to my DH he could say yuk. It takes all sorts grin

Linsco56 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:57:45

Ha! My DH doesn't cook, so he has to eat what is given to him or go hungry. He did have his with some garlic bread. grin