Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Paleo Lifestyle

(18 Posts)
fumanchu Thu 30-Mar-17 17:26:32

It works for me so I don't care how authentic it is smile It cuts out junk and stodge - I'm maintaining my normal weight despite steroids.

absent Wed 29-Mar-17 20:46:54

The Paleo is actually completely fraudulent. Not only were many vegetables completely different centuries ago, having been changed by painstaking breeding, but many were simply not around in the UK until the Middle Ages or much later. Also, forensic anthropologists investigating the teeth of paleo skulls have confirmed that cereals formed part of the diet.

fumanchu Wed 29-Mar-17 20:13:58

I'm on a mix of LCHF and Paleo. I don't eat anything stodgy or processed, cook everything from scratch, and eat mainly meat & veg. Do have the odd slice of bread but it's multigrain or spelt. I eat a lot of butter olive oil and cream. I'm pn steroids for life and my weight stays steady on this diet.

VictorB Tue 28-Mar-17 12:51:25

I even didn't try any special rule to keep my health well and fit. And also I don't have any special diet plan as well. But thinking to maintain dieting now a days.

gillym Wed 15-Feb-17 19:48:39

good suggestion Shysal. I am on LCHF...it works so well and I am never hungry in fact I now don't eat breakfast so I am throwing in the fasting thing...please no comments on how breakfast is the most important meal blah blah..it isn't true.
I'm losing weight and inches steadily and I am sure I can make this a lifestyle change.
sleeping better and the brain fog has lifted. My hubby has joined me enticed my the fry ups. Go for it SueinHull

shysal Wed 15-Feb-17 15:36:29

SueinHull, you might be interested in the LCHF thread on here. All the information you need is on the Diet Doctor site linked in the original post. Mamie is a fine example of a success story, one of several on GN. I am a half-hearted follower, but it doesn't feel like a diet as such, just a new way of life, and you and your husband won't be hungry or feel deprived once you get going.
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1228651-Low-carb-support-thread-2016-Part-2?msgid=26120174

Mamie Wed 15-Feb-17 14:57:48

Rinouchka I think in this context legumes is used to mean pulses and beans.
Have you looked at LCHF (low carb healthy fat), SueinHull?

Rinouchka Wed 15-Feb-17 14:53:02

SueInHull, confused: legumes are vegetables. Is there a new meaning of legumes in this diet???

grannypiper Wed 15-Feb-17 14:36:40

My Dh has spent the last 3 years without dairy, cereals and packaged food and has eaten very little meat and has put on 2 stone !

janeainsworth Wed 15-Feb-17 13:51:52

Sorry Sue but what struck me about your post was hubby is NOT very motivated.
If this is the case I'm afraid anything you impose on him is not going to work.
Losing weight involves changing behaviour for good, not just while you are losing weight, and people will only change their behaviour if they are motivated. They are only motivated if they can see some benefit to the change in their behaviour.
I would go back to Square 1 if I were you, and think about ways you can make him want to change.
Frankly if anyone tried to put me on the Paleo diet they wouldn't see me for dustshock

Badenkate Wed 15-Feb-17 12:56:18

I'm a bit worried about any diet that eliminates whole groups of foodstuffs from what you eat. Does he not like dairy products, potatoes, pasta, bread? Where does his calcium requirements come from?
Have you looked at Slimming World - he doesn't have to go to meetings, he could do it on-line (or even just do the plan without joining). He can eat as much lean meat, potatoes and pasta, fruit and veg as he likes, but also have limited amounts of dairy, bread and sweet things for a treat. If he's a meat and 2 veg type of man, this would suit him and he wouldn't be missing anything out.

Welshwife Wed 15-Feb-17 10:09:15

What would you replace the cereal part with as it cuts out bread? Also the fruit amount seems small.

grannymouse303 Wed 15-Feb-17 09:42:33

I've read mixed things about this type of diet, it's hard to know which sources to trust anymore when it comes to food

paddyann Mon 21-Nov-16 15:11:42

I considered it but its a bit restrictive as I used to be vegetarian and only eat very limited amount of meat and no pork or fowl at all.I'd find him a diet that allows him to have all the things he enjoys ..he'll stick to it then if he doesn't feel deprived.My sons partner is doing slimming world diet with a lot of success ,mind you sh's only a size 12 anyway but wants to drop 2 sizes .She lost 10 pound in her first week and says she ate more than she normally does

grannylyn65 Mon 21-Nov-16 14:54:54

shock

Jayanna9040 Mon 21-Nov-16 11:15:03

I would point out that paleontithic man died in his late twenties/early thirties, with clear evidence of bone disease, infection and periods of malnutrition.............

Teetime Mon 21-Nov-16 10:56:38

I did look at it and considered it but I'm not a big meat eater so I am doing the NHS Choices 12 week plan which is basically calorie counting and I find I can balance meals better with this. Good Luck with it though its certainly very popular among film stars!!

SueinHull Mon 21-Nov-16 10:22:26

I am preparing a life changing diet for my man. I say WE because hubby is NOT very motivated so I try and help and support him as much as I can. Last weigh in he was 160 kg (about 25 stone). As you can imagine various health issues are raising their ugly head, he is 50 years old and very set in his ways. He has succeeded in the past on The Atkins Diet but then when he relapsed and within 6 months the weight was back on. I have trawled the internet and have decided The Paleo lifestyle will suit him very well. I have meal plans ready and have done my research on the "good eats" and "bad eats". For those unaware of the Paleo Diet, it eliminates cereals, grains, legumes, dairy and any packaged foods from your diet. The concept is 35% Meat or Fish, 40% Vegetables, 20% good Fats and 5% Fruit. Just wondered if anyone else has tried this eating regime?