Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Request from help from my daughter, a fitness trainer

(12 Posts)
midgey Tue 05-Dec-17 20:45:01

My pilates teacher is amazingly tactful, she walks around the room talking through the movement and very quietly helps anyone. The crunch is no one knows if you are useless! Such a relief ...I would have left months ago otherwise!

Grannyparkrun Tue 05-Dec-17 20:17:09

Has your daughter thought about teaching 'Couch to 5k' running courses? Recently, people who are older, perhaps a little overweight and have only ever run to a sale at the cake shop, (me in fact!), are suddenly finding that, following one of these courses, they are able to run, however slowly, 5k, (3miles), at their local Parkrun! I am still amazed by the fact that I can do it, and I have met so many new friends, and had so much fun, (at the back, but who cares?!), that I can honestly say it has transformed my life. Teaching people to run through Couch to 5k classes may be the future for Grans who one day, want to run parkrun with their grandchildren!

schnackie Thu 15-Jun-17 10:48:58

Thank you all so very much for your preferences and experiences! You suggested some great ideas and interesting differences ( i.e. loud music vs soft). I'm very pleased to say that the personal interest in each student is something she really has. I worked with children in my career and admit to trying to push her in that direction, but her first job out of uni 15 years ago, (with a degree in dance!!!) was working in a senior centre teaching dance and movement to class aged between 58 and 83! She is a wonderful daughter but sometimes I am secretly anxious to get into my 70's so I'll get more attention from her, ha ha. (I am 64). So I'll carefully copy and paste your replies into an email and I know she will be so grateful. Thanks again x

HildaW Wed 14-Jun-17 19:54:52

Aha.....activerelaxer.....ballroom IS popular here! Its my other activity, somewhat reluctantly my OH has encouraged me (he learned as a young man). I've even allowed myself to learn sequence, rather than just freestyle ballroom and latin, something I thought was so very OLD....but hey ho its brilliant for both mind and body!

activerelaxer Wed 14-Jun-17 19:15:41

I've just retired at 58 and started using my leisure club membership for more than just swimming. I've found I love Tai Chi and their Pilates class is pitched at my level. I'm unlikely to go back to the gym unless the doctor points me in that direction. The leisure club sometimes runs small group training for over 50s and I may well try that next time it comes up.

Age related stuff:
The gym is very noisy and the equipment far too complicated - I don't want gamification or to sync with an ipad. If I'm there, I want a written reminder of what I'm meant to be doing and not too many adjustments per machine.
The exercise studios tend to be cold and dimly lit at night - OK for the spin class but not yoga. In dim light I can't see the instructor, and struggle from the back of the class anyway!
It takes me (even) longer to learn a routine than it did in my 20s.
I want to do something I enjoy that will help keep me active and flexible. I wish ballroom dancing was more popular.

M0nica Wed 14-Jun-17 19:05:03

We belong to our local private sports club because the LA one is so difficult to get to, involving driving through a very busy town.

I do a pilates class and use the swimming pool. My pilates is a mainstream class because, although I am now 73, I am still in good order physically and can do all the exercises. About half the people in the class are over retirement age. There are several 'Over 50' pilates classes, run locally through Age UK (I think) but these are chair based, or seem to be.

All I ask of an instructor, is what I would ask at any age; competent, pleasant manner, and able to work with people of varying levels of ability. I prefer no music or low level background music only as I hate loud music and loud noise and my musical tastes are almost exclusively classical! Loud pop music would stop me attending.

DH uses the gym and the club does have a gym instructor who runs sessions for the over 50s. He is overweight and unfit. He also enjoys using the swimming pool.

Personally I prefer early morning classes because I am one of life's larks. If I was starting again. I would do much as I have done: find a sports facility in a convenient location with facilities that meet my needs and sign up and go.

I think the problem is, GNers are really mixed bunch. If your daughter has a specific interest in developing classes for older people, shnackieshe should, perhaps, talk to her local Age UK, they may already be running some classes and want more and will certainly know a lot about the subject.

shysal Wed 14-Jun-17 17:02:51

Retired people usually prefer daytime classes, but of course many Gransnetters are still working as the goalposts get moved.
I prefer to go to mainstream Leisure Centre classes, rather than those for seniors, where low or high impact options are given for the main moves. Mixed ability Legs, Bums and Tums, and Primetime (over 50s) are very popular in my area along with Zumba, including Zumba Gold, but unfortunately this is a franchise-type of class which requires a financial outlay from the instructor. My local Leisure centres (Fusion) use self-employed fitness instructors, leaving them free to teach in several venues including external village halls etc. Leisure Centres may have the benefit of crèche facilities which your daughter could use.
The thing that motivates me most in classes is the music, which must have a strong beat which makes us want to move, and not necessarily 'Golden Oldies ' tunes. My favourite LBT instructor uses popular recent chart tunes including some techno/club tracks which are fab for giving us energy!
I hope your daughter finds an opening in this field which suits her and her clients. Good luck to her. flowers

Grannyknot Wed 14-Jun-17 16:15:28

... I mean bonding as a group grin don't want to bring class into this discussion smile

Grannyknot Wed 14-Jun-17 16:14:26

Hi schnackie I go to two fitness classes (Pilates, Belly Dancing - the instructor at the latter is a fitness instructor who happens to like Belly Dancing, she's Turkish) and at both what attracts me is the friendly (yet professional) atmosphere, the fact that the trainers are aware not to expect the earth from older people (I once went to a yoga class where the instructor insisted I could do headstands - like she could - when I could barely do the basics, put me right off).

So I would say a friendly atmosphere, a professional approach and an awareness of people's limitations, including perhaps being shy.

Another tip is that the Pilates teacher sends out a really interesting newsletter once a month that includes a "Recipe of the Month". She also arranges social outings about 3 times a year e.g. 10 pin bowling, or doing a sponsored walk, and that adds a social element and has us bonding us a class.

HildaW Wed 14-Jun-17 15:57:42

Here are my thoughts.
Being the age I am....61, I knew that the usual leisure centre set up of young people in lycra showing me how to use all sorts of complicated equipment would not suit. I have a few health considerations and needed serious personal one to oneing - not a one size fits all approach.
I have a very well qualified personal trainer who can do everything from 21 one year old super fits to people well into their 70s with lots of health considerations. He is extremely well qualified and filled me with confidence when he came for the initial consultation (an excellent idea....we sat and chatted for over an hour as he got to know my requirements).
I have a planned session with him at home once a week and we use very simple equipment that I have eventually bought myself as once I gained confidence that I was not going to hurt myself I put myself through a couple of unsupervised sessions during the week.
Its been amazing, I've got stronger, fitter and lost a lot of inches and a few pounds.....a good regime will increase muscle mass and loose the flab. No dieting involved but its encouraged me to appreciate good food more and not over indulge.

I'd encourage your daughter to ensure she is well qualified can help all types and abilities....its the personal approach that really matters. Its all about trust and having a good relationship.

schnackie Wed 14-Jun-17 15:35:28

And, already there's a typo!! Should be "Request FOR help..."

schnackie Wed 14-Jun-17 15:34:15

I hope this is appropriate to post. My daughter has just quit an office job, mostly to stay home with kids, but also to develop some fitness classes or do personal training. (She is qualified to teach both of those, plus as a yoga instructor.) If you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

"Hi Gransnetters, could you please take a minute to help me out? What are you looking for in a fitness routine? What would motivate you? What are your limitations? What would you do if you were about to start from scratch, i.e. Get a trainer? Join a community center? Thanks!!"