Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Starting yoga - should I be worried?

(58 Posts)
NotTooOld Thu 04-Jan-18 18:21:24

I'm starting a beginners' yoga class tomorrow. I'm not young, have one replacement hip and two stiff knees. I can just about manage to sit on the floor and get up again. That being said, I am well and active, walk most days and play badminton. Should I be worried? Will I cope?

Cherrytree59 Thu 04-Jan-18 18:42:43

If you are going to a beginners class you will be fine.
I started last summer to try and strengthen an ankle after an operation.
(I use an ankle support whilst doing the yoga exercises )

Due to dodgy knees I can't take part in high impact exercise so I find yoga fits the bill.

Give it a go I can't wait to get back to my class which unfortunatly doesn't restart till next week.

NotTooOld Thu 04-Jan-18 18:45:54

Ooh, if it helped my knees that would be a definite bonus, Cherrytree. I'm just worried about feeling embarrassed if, for instance, I can't sit cross legged.

Grannyboots1 Thu 04-Jan-18 18:51:39

I tried yoga in my early fifties and could not sit crossed legged without putting both hands on the floor, when most of the class class were cross legged and palms upturned!!

Squiffy Thu 04-Jan-18 19:15:32

Please tell the yoga teacher about the hip replacement and any other issues that you have. S/he should be able to offer you adapted postures smile

NotTooOld Thu 04-Jan-18 19:29:10

I have done that, Squiffy. Just hoping she remembers!
Granny - hmm, that's the sort of thing I'm worried about.

Cherrytree59 Thu 04-Jan-18 19:38:17

I agree Squiffy we had a lady in or class who had the go ahead from her doctor to rejoin the class after a hysterectomy.
For the first few weeks she did her yoga exercises whist seated on a chair.

NotTooOld The teacher always reminds the students to do only what their body is comfortable with .
Nobody in our class has to sit with crossed legs.
After a few lessons your focus will only be on yourself.

Grannyknot Thu 04-Jan-18 19:43:28

Not2Old if you sit on a brick-sized block (some yoga classes provide them) you should be able to sit with your legs crossed at the ankles.

The only yoga exercise that gives my knees "gip" is if I do a deep scoop bending up and down.

Anyway I always just do what I can do and over time, I find I can do more (e.g. not touch my toes - but after a while I can!)

ginny Thu 04-Jan-18 21:31:29

Just make sure you tell the instructor about any joint or other problems and he/she should tell you how to adapt the exercise. I can’t kneel at all but love yoga.

NotTooOld Fri 05-Jan-18 12:06:02

Thanks for all the advice. I've just returned from the first class. I did find my knees and hip meant I just could not do many of the exercises but the instructor did indeed give me alternatives, some of which worked. All in all, though, I've come away feeling I've only done half the class and am wondering if it is worth carrying on.

Bellanonna Fri 05-Jan-18 12:18:26

Glad you managed it, NTO. I bet you weren’t the only person not to do certain things. Instructors are careful to ask about any physical problems and as you say, you were given alternatives. I actually find Pilates easier than yoga and have been doing it for ten years. The fact you could only do half means that you actually DID half which is better than doing nothing. In time you should find yourself able to do some of the stretches more easily. If not, just give a thought to trying Pilates.

Squiffy Fri 05-Jan-18 12:22:00

Well done for the half that you managed to do! In time, you may find that you can do more, but the half that you did today probably did you more good than you realise. I go to a yoga nidra class and it feels as though we're hardly doing anything strenuous during class, but the after-effect is so powerful it's amazing!

OldMeg Fri 05-Jan-18 13:17:11

Well done NotTooOld. Even without your limited movement nobody expects to be able to do all the exercises at first. Keep at it and little by little you will get better.

Apricity Sat 06-Jan-18 09:35:17

I go to a weekly yoga class that is aimed at older persons (mostly 60-70) although some younger folk do come sometimes and the focus is always about only going as far into a pose as YOU are comfortable. No pressure, no strain and definitely no pain. For some people strategically placed cushions or rolled towels can help. The great thing about yoga is that there are no absolutes and an experienced teacher will always reinforce this to students. It keeps me flexible in a very gentle way. If one teacher doesn't seem right for you maybe check out alternative classes in your area.

Craftycat Sat 06-Jan-18 09:35:24

I've practiced Yoga since I was in my 20s. It is an amazing practice for any age. I have seen many people do it sitting on a chair if necessary. If your teacher knows her/his stuff you will get a lot out of it & gain strength & better balance. Do persevere for a few weeks & I'm sure you will notice a positive difference. I can no longer get onto poses I used to find easy but it still keeps me supple & strong. Pilates is very good too but I prefer Yoga. I do so hope you get to look forward to your class.

dragonfly46 Sat 06-Jan-18 09:48:56

I did yoga for years then went back last year. After a few lessons I developed bursitis in my hip which I cannot get rid of. It is very painful especially at night so no more yoga for me. Just be careful and take it easy. It is not easy for people of our age to sit crosslegged on the floor for any period of time.

Sheilagh Sat 06-Jan-18 10:07:40

I've had two knees and one hip replaced ( one more hip and I'll have a full set ) and I go to keep-fit classes three times a week, it's more like dancing which I love , we exercise every part of the body from fingers to toes and the music we exercise to is very uplifting and varied. I love it.

Yogagirl Sat 06-Jan-18 10:26:06

NTO you have been given great advise on here re your new yoga classes. Keep going, as others have said you did half the class, so well done you! If your class have no blocks, get your own and a new yoga mat, as it's nice to have your own, it does take 6 sessions to get the 'sticky' in the new mat, so a little practice at home will do the trick. Also a blanket is very handy, to roll up and sit on, instead of the block, to cushion your knees and hips, and head when you get onto the headstand shock not serious about the head stand lol.

I am a yoga teacher, and have students with many different health problems, including hip replacements, I always give variations and always say at the beginning to read your body and leave anything out that's not for you.

I've had cancer survivors, that were my students before, during and after, that have come just for the relaxation after their op and/or chemo, and from there, slowly back to being a regular yogi. Ages from children to 85yrs old and all fantastic!

Good luck xx

NannyC2 Sat 06-Jan-18 11:20:16

you must first have approval from your doctor or physical therapist.
As a Christian I would not practice yoga since the intention of yoga is a path to attain salvation through union with a false deity.
Spiritual meditation can be done without Yoga, but not everyone is religious and therefore, everyone has free choice.

Magrithea Sat 06-Jan-18 11:57:36

NottooOld I started yoga recently and find sitting crossed legged and upright hard (and I don't have a new hip) but you'll soon find that you focus on yourself and not the others in the class

NannyC2 most people don't think of yoga as a spiritual practice and do it for the benefits. Those who practice for religious reasons don't regard their deity as false - each to his own!

Madmartha Sat 06-Jan-18 12:03:27

I started yoga a year ago as I did no other exercise. I persevered, not doing all the exercises, and it took several months before I began to notice how much more supple I was, and now I can rise up from bed / sun lounger without using my hands - it’s a small miracle! I still can’t do anything that puts extra weight onto my toes as some bones are fused but I just do what I can and would highly recommend. Worth sticking with!

Chicklette Sat 06-Jan-18 12:11:40

A good yoga teacher will take into account your physical issues. I've been going to yoga for over 10 years. We get all sorts of abilities and it's fine. Some are incredibly able (and envy inducing!), but others are much less able. When I started I was (obviously) younger, slimmer and healthier. I now have Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. But I'm stronger and more flexible than I was. I'm so glad I discovered yoga when I did as I'd probably worry it would be too hard for me now. I go to 3 or 4 classes each week and can easily do headstands etc. Go along and I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Roseandwally29 Sat 06-Jan-18 12:38:29

Last year age 58 I set my self a goal of running a 5K which i had managed in my thirties and forties but not run for several years. I managed the 5 k after building up the distances but I also developed bursitis in my left hip. An Xray revealed some arthritic changes and after i had lots of rest and physio the bursitis is hardly there now but I've given up on the running. I walk 5k with supportive shoes and swim and I do Trigger point Pilates and yesterday I tried a Yoga class which I really enjoyed and will continue with.
I think as we age we need to be more gentle with our joints. Good luck with your yoga NotToOld

Jude57 Sat 06-Jan-18 13:10:50

I started yoga when I was 59- to improve my balance mostly as my mother has had multiple falls and broken bones since hitting her 60s. I wanted to avoid this at all costs.
I love it, you do what your body allows you to and this will increase with time and practice. As others have said, tell the instructor about your hip and knees- a good teacher will always give you alternative postures. Lots of people in my class are much younger( but no more flexible) but there are a good number of oldies like me. Best thing I ever did. Enjoy

Luckygirl Sat 06-Jan-18 13:14:11

The problem for me is that there is absolutely no way I could sit on the floor - and even if I did I would not be able to get up!!!