Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Frugal February

(570 Posts)
OldMeg Fri 26-Jan-18 08:09:59

Anyone like to join me in this?

You can set your own ‘frugal’ guidelines but the aim is to eat and drink in a more restrained (and healthy) manner that usual just for 28 days.

I did this last year and lost those few extra pounds that nobody wants. For those who have more than a few pounds to shift it can kick start a real weight loss plan for 2018.

It can be combined with 16:8 and any other ‘diets’ you are following.

So, anyone out there want to join in for 28 days and we’ll share ideas and support each other? ?

OldMeg Mon 26-Feb-18 19:57:19

Wow Niobe what a star ?⭐️?✨

Niobe Mon 26-Feb-18 19:53:46

Went to the GP today and as soon as I walked in he commented on my weight loss! Have lost 8 kg since I last saw him in November. He reduced my Metformin from 4 to 2 tablets a day.

OldMeg Sun 25-Feb-18 14:41:44

Having time on our hands is a big problem as it can bring in an attack of the munchies I agree. That’s why I got up and made some lovely biscuits the other day - so I’d be busy an occupied. And conversely I won’t be tempted to eat too many when I’ve baked them myself.

Tegan2 Sun 25-Feb-18 12:19:49

I found a piece of paper with my weight/measurements that I took in January time, when I realised my weight gain had got out of control, and it shows I've lost more inch wise than I'd realised [I think I was so dismayed I tried to forget about it]. I didn't go to the gym yesterday as I was tidying the house [joke; it looks worse than ever; I just re arranged the living room and today I'm going to put everything back to where it was before] and didn't really have a proper meal [turmeric tea, a banana, leek and potato soup, some tinned pilchards [it's all I could find to eat and I fancied some fish] and a handful of nuts. Surprisingly I didn't put any weight on [I thought I'd snacked too much]. It's days when I just potter round the house that the snacking gets out of hand. Forgive me if I talk to myself on here, but it's really motivating me blush. It's good to look back and also good to know that any lapses will have to be put on the www!

Tegan2 Fri 23-Feb-18 23:12:11

I'm sure that's what it is.

OldMeg Fri 23-Feb-18 21:23:43

Good to hear that the thread is helping Tegan

With DH away I’ve again eaten really healthily and quite sparingly. Just had a bit of salmon and broccoli for supper. When he’s here we have ‘dinner’ when I’m alone it’s just a spot of ‘supper’ on a smaller plate.

I’ve made some lovely lemon biscuits and allowed myself two of those with a brew mid afternoon. Because I made them myself I’m eeking them out.

It’s interesting that your hunger pangs have gone ? could it be your stomach is shrinking d’you think?

Tegan2 Fri 23-Feb-18 20:27:10

That's what I find; although the S.O. only stays here at weekends, because he's been away for over a week I've made a point of planning my meals. and I think I've ate really healthily. The constant feeling of wanting to eat has gone. Although I'm not going tonight the conversation at the sauna is really helpful as most people there are trying to lose weight; one guy had lost 2 stone since January but, as he admitted, it's easier when you have so much weight to lose. We also throw ideas around as well. This thread has been SO helpful, too!

OldMeg Fri 23-Feb-18 12:05:08

Was away with GC earlier this week so only just weighed myself today instead of yesterday and thankfully haven’t put any on, though lost nothing.

It’s now DH’s turn to travel so he went off yesterday to stay with his sister and it’s so much easier when I just have to plan for myself. Just had a cucumber sandwich and a home-made Watermelon Chill for supper last night and no ?

Tegan2 Fri 23-Feb-18 11:13:30

Well, I still seem to be stuck at the same weight, even though I'm still eating well and did the gym/sauna again last night. It's very dispiriting. Then again, before I retired I would have, by this time of day, been on my feet for 5 hours, so I need to realise how many more calories I was using up back then. I wish I could put my computer on a shelf so I have to stand next to it rather than sit [which is what I did at work]. Much healthier.

Niobe Fri 23-Feb-18 10:49:49

At the beginning of the month I was 68.2 kg. Today I am 66.8 so have lost 1.4 kg so far. Yippee! I am on the last 6 or 7 kilos so it is slowwww going.

OldMeg Thu 22-Feb-18 13:19:21

grin

Nannylovesshopping Wed 21-Feb-18 15:15:57

cavewoman hahaha hadn’t thought of trying crack to lose a few poundsgrin

cavewoman Wed 21-Feb-18 14:43:34

Back ontrack blush

cavewoman Wed 21-Feb-18 14:42:39

Well done Tegan .Over 1lb a week!
Just getting back on crack after stressful few days (elderly parents!)
One more frugal week to go!

OldMeg Wed 21-Feb-18 08:17:50

4lb is impressive Tegan

Tegan2 Tue 20-Feb-18 21:29:05

Managed to get to the gym tonight as the leak has stopped [although the plumber still hasn't got the part to fix it properly]. Felt down this morning because I'd gone for @ 16 hours without eating and hadn't lost any weight but, when I was at the gym tonight I was @ 4 lbs less on their scales. So I am getting there slowly.

MissAdventure Tue 20-Feb-18 21:11:43

blush

OldMeg Tue 20-Feb-18 21:10:19

I suspected as much from the ominous silences!!!

Nannylovesshopping Mon 19-Feb-18 15:58:01

Jalima1108 I have never ever lost my appetitegrin

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Feb-18 15:48:19

the S.O. has taken the dog on holiday grin

I have been hopeless, you would think with not feeling well (just a nasty cold) that I would lose my appetite - but no.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 10:13:09

My trolley has very wonky wheels, Tegan. It doesn't take much for them to fall off.
I kind of knew that last week was going to be a bad one, emotionally, and that really affects my eating. It makes me cross that I'm so reliant on food as a comfort, but it is what it is.
Hopefully your week will be filled with healthy choices and exercise; I'm rooting for you!

Tegan2 Mon 19-Feb-18 09:58:33

I've been really good [I think] but I haven't had much exercise this weekend other than mopping up the leak in the kitchen [and wasn't able to leave the house because of it]. My son turned off the water yesterday and I have a plumber coming out this afternoon. But I haven't lost any weight; if anything I've put some on, All I had yesterday was my turmeric drink, a M&S meal, several satsumas and a banana. It's quite dispiriting, but that's when the wheels start to fall off the trolley isn't it. As the S.O. has taken the dog on holiday to give me a whole week to tidy the house, get fit etc I daren't slip back into old ways. I think some sunshine might help.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 09:26:48

I have avoided posting because I haven't been at all frugal of late: just can't seem to get in the right frame of mind.
Going to try again from today.
blush

whitewave Mon 19-Feb-18 09:14:25

Oh dear I haven’t been posting because I seem to have fallen off the rails. I am now the same weight as at the beginning of the month.

It isn’t a question of no gain no pain is it!!

OldMeg Mon 19-Feb-18 07:34:26

How’s it going fellow Frugaleers? I’m off for a few days, it being half term week here, and not sure if I’ll have a Wifi link to log on.

Don’t think I’ll have lost much, if any, this week but so long as I haven’t gained that’s my aim.