Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Frugal February

(569 Posts)
OldMeg Fri 26-Jan-18 08:09:59

Anyone like to join me in this?

You can set your own ‘frugal’ guidelines but the aim is to eat and drink in a more restrained (and healthy) manner that usual just for 28 days.

I did this last year and lost those few extra pounds that nobody wants. For those who have more than a few pounds to shift it can kick start a real weight loss plan for 2018.

It can be combined with 16:8 and any other ‘diets’ you are following.

So, anyone out there want to join in for 28 days and we’ll share ideas and support each other? ?

MawBroon Fri 26-Jan-18 08:12:30

Sorry old meg but February is a dreary enough month without aggravating the gloom.
Time enough when we get to Lent!

whitewave Fri 26-Jan-18 08:13:22

I’m permanently on a frugal plan grin but will join in. I’m not on any special diet except following the nhs guidance on losing weight. 1400 calories per day. Also given up my glass of red every evening which I so enjoy.

I started on Monday and have lost 1/2 a lb so far.

whitewave Fri 26-Jan-18 08:14:53

I actually like to try to lose weight during the dreary months with the plan to look svelt come spring and summer. Never managed it yet but I live in constant hope.

OldMeg Fri 26-Jan-18 08:19:25

That’s my philosophy too Whitewave then come March I’m half a stone lighter when the lighter nights and warmer weather kicks in.

Well done on loss already.

My idea of frugal is one very small glass of ?with dinner so you are frugaler (if there’s such a word) than I am.

gillybob Fri 26-Jan-18 08:23:07

Oops I came to this thread as I thought it was about saving money in February, not losing weight. Having said that I could do with doing both as I have put on a few pounds lately.

OldMeg Fri 26-Jan-18 08:27:06

Actually Gillybob you may well save money too as many of the meals on this regime are very basic and old fashioned such as a hearty chicken stew with left over chicken and using up those left over veg too.

Do join in ?

whitewave Fri 26-Jan-18 08:33:51

No reason why we couldn’t be frugal money wise as well.

I’m not very good at saving and tend to be a bit impetuous. Any ideas always very welcome.

OldMeg Fri 26-Jan-18 08:40:42

Martin Lewis. If you want it but don’t need it, don’t buy it.

Maw Lent begins February 14th!!!

OldMeg Fri 26-Jan-18 08:42:53

My frugal breakfast 1 slice of toast with butter and I poached egg. That will be at 10.00 as I like the idea of not eating for 15-16 hours overnight.

But each to their own.

Christinefrance Fri 26-Jan-18 08:43:43

Can we have a month for enjoying things, drinking gin and eating chocolate ?

Teetime Fri 26-Jan-18 09:07:06

Oldmeg I will try to join(in fact I have already started) you except for Feb 12 which is my 65th birthday I will need to comfort eat and drink!

lemongrove Fri 26-Jan-18 09:18:14

Christine grin sounds good!
Merry March ( do whatever makes ya feel good)

gillybob Fri 26-Jan-18 09:21:26

Well I have had a very frugal week (well with the exception of ordering a pram for DD’s baby, but I’m not counting that) . DH is away all week and I have hardly spent a penny (again not counting the pram). I have batched cooked and frozen a huge basic bolognese sauce (only had to buy a celery) then separated it into 8 portions. Will add chilli/beans, make into burgers etc when I defrost. I had fish fingers and oven chips (fish finger sandwiches...yummy) one night, pork stew another (all from the freezer) made my own sandwiches for work and feel very pleased with myself. smile

MawBroon Fri 26-Jan-18 09:22:15

I’m up for that Christine !

gillybob Fri 26-Jan-18 09:23:07

Butter is my downfall. I can’t give it up. Have managed to get down to Lurpak light but that’s about it. I buy it when it’s on offer (2 for whatever) and freeze it. I find it saves money.

MawBroon Fri 26-Jan-18 09:23:39

Old Meg that still leaves me two weeks of self indulgence though! grin ☕️?????

whitewave Fri 26-Jan-18 09:31:04

gilly I try to eat everything that isn’t processed, so in my book butter is better than the more “processed” stuff.

My tip for saving is to download a budget app. I have calculated a budget for everything I spend and have made entries for the whole of the year. It then gives me an idea as to how much money I can save towards in my case a new wet room. It sounds boring, but accountancy was my thing so not too onerous for me. It helps with keeping me focused as well as I can see what is possible or the wood from the trees.

OldMeg Fri 26-Jan-18 09:31:58

Teetime you can have a free pass for your birthday.

Gilly I love my butter too, but I just have it on that one piece of toast in the morning.

Maw we’ll have a two week headstart on you then ???

merlotgran Fri 26-Jan-18 09:37:43

Thanks to the lurgy we spent most of January surviving on mugs of tea and comforting slices of toast.

I intend to make up for all that in February! grin

gillybob Fri 26-Jan-18 09:38:18

It’s the unexpected things that throw me whitewave as we don’t have savings to fall back on. It doesn’t help that we don’t get a steady regular income so hard to budget too far ahead.

I agree about avoiding processed foods. Not only do they cost more but they can’t be healthy. I am now batch cooker extraordinaire. I even manage to get some into my own freezer sometimes before “the gannets” descend . wink

Niobe Fri 26-Jan-18 09:42:36

I was losing weight nicely before Xmas and gained a few lbs over the festive season but am back on track again. 1 lb to go to get back to pre-Xmas weight. It is hard work!
I am due a diabetic review in latter half of February so that is a great incentive to keep on track.

whitewave Fri 26-Jan-18 09:44:55

Yes not knowing what your income will be from month to month is difficult. But perhaps you could construct a basic income from the past year and try to work from that? Anything extra can be saved or if a month is short then you may have a little to fall back on.

Hark at me!! The worst saver in the worldgrin I know all the theory, putting it into practice is the difficult part.

Greenfinch Fri 26-Jan-18 10:34:25

I will join you too.
I wasn't ready for it in January with all the festive leftovers but now with only two mince pies to go I am ready .

David1968 Fri 26-Jan-18 10:35:18

We're supposed to follow "Dry Januaty" with "Frugal February"?
Oh dear. Wonder what March will bring ....