Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Ative 10

(5 Posts)
MarySunshine Wed 31-Jan-18 13:13:57

Is anyone else using the Active 10 app for monitoring brisk walking?
I'm finding it so frustrating and just wondering how to overcome pausing or not realising youve slowed down slightly..
Ive walked briskly now for four weeks at approx 40 mins each day - yet Ive only reached my active 10 a couple of times.. It seems every time I stop to check the road is clear before crossing I get a yellow line through my blue success minutes!
Ive tried walking the back lanes but sometimes have to slow for passing vehicles, Ive tried walking on footpaths and have to slow a little for mud & puddles .. Ive tried a field and had to stop when a dog came to say hullo and twice now Ive misjudged the time and stopped at 9 minutes!!

Anyone have any tips please? I think I deserve to get a few active 10 awards!!

Bathsheba Wed 31-Jan-18 13:23:06

Strangely, the app doesn't seem to work that way for me. Naturally, I have to stop or slow down to cross roads, and it's not a problem. At the end of my walk it calculates everything and tells me that the total number of minutes I walked was, e.g. 45, and the number of brisk minutes within that period was, e.g. 32. If I forget to turn the app off when I get home, it will carry on adding non-brisk minutes to my total.

MarySunshine Wed 31-Jan-18 13:32:50

Thankyou for your reply Bathsheba - Mine works in the same way as yours I think , but I am setting my targets as two ten minute walks a day and when (if) i achieve them I can get a 'walking warrier bronze award after a week - silver after two and I was hoping to build these up and go for 'Gold.

Bathsheba Wed 31-Jan-18 14:08:15

Ah well you're ahead of me Mary - it's as much as I can do to complete one brisk walk a day grin. Though, to be fair, it's usually longer than 10 minutes.

Singlegrannie Mon 14-May-18 14:45:31

I use it, and have discovered that I can overcome the having to stop or slow problem by Ealing around my house , or in good weather my garden ! I am fortunate that the design of my bungalow allows for a circular route and I can keep an eye on the time by walking towards the kitchen clock. I aim to do at least one minute over the ten to make sure !