Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Spinning class anyone?

(40 Posts)
Antonia Sun 25-Mar-18 20:50:17

My DD age 40 is desperate to lose the last half stone to take her to her ideal weight. She can't do strenuous weight exercises because of a health issue so I tentatively suggested we might both try a spinning class. (I am also wanting to lose weight). However, I am 65 and I don't know if I could cope. Has anyone done this and how did you find it?

Anniebach Sun 25-Mar-18 20:53:33

I thought you meant using a spinning wheel, something I could actually help with ?

Antonia Sun 25-Mar-18 21:02:25

Sorry Anniebach I should have explained. In fact, the term was new to me only a couple of weeks ago but my DD knew what it was. It's basically sitting on a static bike and pedalling to music. I think I would like the music, but not sure if my ageing body can cope with the rest of it.

BBbevan Sun 25-Mar-18 21:17:12

So did I Anniebach I wondered why it was in Diet and Exercise ?

tanith Sun 25-Mar-18 21:17:16

Spinning classes at my gym are very strenuous and look arduous to me. A lot of the ‘ride’ is done off the seat in an almost standing position I wouldn’t be able to do it and I ride 8k on a static bike in the gym 3 times a week. If you are pretty fit I imagine you could give it a try but otherwise I’d give it a miss and find something a little less taxing.

midgey Sun 25-Mar-18 21:24:26

My son, a mountain bike enthusiast, tried it last week and said he was’broken’ at the end! Possibly not what you were looking for Antoniagrin

MillieBear Sun 25-Mar-18 22:51:23

My OH loves it. He's lean, fit and adores cycling. I would rather poke my eyes out with a sharp stick than subject myself to such misery. You've only got to look at the faces of keen cyclists to know that it's something to be endured rather than enjoyed. But don't let me put you off! grin

MissAdventure Sun 25-Mar-18 23:00:02

I'm glad I now know what spinning is, at least. I've often wondered, but been too lazy to even look it up.

shysal Mon 26-Mar-18 05:11:10

If you get a good instructor and like loud music the spinning classes can be fun, but with a mediocre one they are just boring and torture! I used to wear padded pants but my backside was always bruised and I sweated buckets. Unfortunately the daytime class I attended folded, but I enjoyed it in a masochistic kind of way! I should imagine a lot of calories would be burned, but exercise without change in eating habits has little effect on weight I find.
Good luck, hope you both find a class that suits.

Happychops Mon 26-Mar-18 05:58:43

I used to love spinning classes, and have to admit to being hooked on them a few years ago attending several classes per week. I had an enthusiastic instructor,it can be hard work and if your not used to excercise it would come as a shock..You are on stationary bikes and you pedal to music, you increase the resistance with a dial as the instructor calls out instructions,you can slacken it off to make it easier to pedal, in theory you can pedal as hard or as easily that you like,my experience during the couple of years I did it,was that the people who don,t excercise hated this class. Why not try one class to see how you both like it, or if you both swim that would be a good option.

Antonia Mon 26-Mar-18 07:18:35

Thanks for the input everyone. I watched a couple of videos and have decided it isn't for me. I think swimming would be a better option.

Teetime Mon 26-Mar-18 08:47:41

Have you thought about Walking Netball its something you can do together we have various age groups in our group. We do get out of breath and burn calories in a fun way. The ladies who wear a Fitbit tell us how many and how many steps at the end of the session. Its so much fun you don't think its exercise.

BlueBelle Mon 26-Mar-18 09:07:05

I would have thought spinning would be way to strenuous for someone who can’t do strenuous exercises

Anniebach Mon 26-Mar-18 09:18:16

I will stick with sitting on the sofa and using my foot pedal, but I am trying to regain muscle strength in my legs,

This spinning sounds agony

GabriellaG Mon 26-Mar-18 10:41:49

1) Take ear plugs, music is LOUD.
2) £7.50 for 20 mins where I live.
3) Strong knees and leg muscles are a must.
4) They go FAST.
You don't lose weight that way.
Walking fast and eating less is the way forward.

minxie Mon 26-Mar-18 10:47:08

Spinning classes are very hard work , if you’re not used to it. It will kill you until you get used to it

Laine21 Mon 26-Mar-18 10:47:09

Give it a go, take your own music and headphones to block out the din lol

Cycle at a relaxing speed suited to you, so what if they are all spinning far too fast to see the wheels spin?, it's something to do together and have a right old laugh about afterwards when you both collapse at home.

Coconut Mon 26-Mar-18 11:30:00

I have done this and most instructors want you to go at your own pace and not strain yourself. Most of us try several different types of exercise till we find one that suits us, one persons joy is another’s torture !

Camelotclub Mon 26-Mar-18 11:35:16

Yes they do always look stressed and miserable, milliebear!

You wonder why on earth they do it. Spinning class would be my idea of hell. But likewise, yoga would bore me to tears.

Jillyblom59 Mon 26-Mar-18 11:43:53

I used to love spin classes, but unfortunately I am no longer fit enough to even attempt one at the moment. They are loud, fast and knackering!
They are definitely not for the unfit. I’d try riding a static bike at your own pace to build up your fitness levels.

vickya Mon 26-Mar-18 11:48:18

Tai chi is gentle and still very effective to get fit and help balance and you learn the form so it good for concentration.

Moira29 Mon 26-Mar-18 11:51:52

I’m 64 and go to an express spin class twice a week. It’s called express because it is only 30mins and not the usual 45mins. I enjoy it and find that you find your own pace but still have a good workout. Seems to keep my slightly arthritic knees supple.

Applegran Mon 26-Mar-18 12:02:05

I have no idea about spinning exercise, but have read several times that weight loss is almost entirely about what we eat. We do need exercise for umpteen health reasons, but on its own only loses small amounts of weight, unless you run marathons, or swim miles, or whatever. So the advice I've read is to eat healthily : Someone summed it up like this : Eat real food, not too much, mostly vegetables.
(Real food is food which has not been processed - is recognisable as the vegetables or whatever else it was made from, and not from a factory)

Mercedes55 Mon 26-Mar-18 13:12:24

I second what Applegran has said. My DIL is always trying to lose weight and goes from one exercise class to another in the elusive hope that she will lose weight. They have a hyper dog and I often think she would be better spending her time taking the dog for a long fast walk than wasting money on exercise classes. Then of course there is the food part of it all, but being a MIL I don't like to interfere grin

Saggi Mon 26-Mar-18 13:34:09

Try just walking Antonia! I walk between 8-10 miles a day 4 days a week...then swim 40 lengths 2 days a week. Thursday's off for good behaviour! Don't go near a gym....and can't see point of paying for exercise! I'm 68 and have a resting pulse rate of 48 bpm. Never heard of spinning. Or , get a bike!