Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Hugh fearnley whittingstall

(103 Posts)
Menopaws Wed 02-May-18 22:18:01

Who is watching his fat fight campaign on tv at the moment. He's always inspired me in everything he does and I think this is a good one. However, everyone has different likes and dislikes about these presenters and I wonder what others think of these campaigns, usually by chefs.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-May-18 22:27:42

I watched the first one, may have to catch up on the others, although I am finding him rather 'holier than thou' - like a smoker who has given up smoking being almost evangelistic about anyone else who smokes!

What I found strange is that the f word, ie the fat word is an absolute no-no (sharp intake of breath) but the other f word is used everywhere these days.

The other thing that was surprising was that it was assumed that people living in deprived areas could be ft* because they lacked the money to buy fruit and vegetables but when Hugh F-W attempted to sell them fruit and veg at wholesale prices there was little uptake. The local shopkeeper said his sales of fruit and veg had declined considerably over the last 5 years - everyone wanted takeaways.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-May-18 22:30:19

In answer to your question Menopaws, I prefer it if the chefs stick to cooking - and producing programmes which promote cheap, wholesome foods.

ft* that was supposed to be the f word ie fat.

OldMeg Wed 02-May-18 22:45:46

Menopaws I’m enjoyimg it. I find him refreshing and totally disagree with Jalima about him being ‘holier than thou’. Tonight was only the second one surely?

I was horrified to discover that the UK is the fastest, most overweight country in Europe. Not surprised though as Jalima pointed out about the sale of vegetables in particular.

It’s about time the fat word was used more often instead of pussy-footing around the issue.

paddyann Wed 02-May-18 23:15:55

I agree with Jalima he comes across as very judgemental and for sommeone of his income eating well isn't an issue.People on limited budgets with no cooking skills cant always live to his standards.

Might be a better idea to have somone ordinary ,overweight and scraping a living to show us it can be done.Would be more of an inspiration to folk in the same boat.

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 05:47:59

Cabbage and carrots aren't expensive. Along with onions I'm not convinced you actually need much else in the way of vegetation.

It's nice to have variety if possible, obviously, but I'm talking about needs rather than wants.

So I guess people who don't eat enough vegetation don't want to.

I do a killer mildly curried cabbage with leeks.

OldMeg Thu 03-May-18 06:27:09

It’s sheer laziness.

Much easier just to pick up a ready meal or chips and put it all in the oven or microwave or better still get a cheap takeaway and then you don’t even have to shop.

Am I being deliberately provocative? Probably.

gillybob Thu 03-May-18 07:00:19

I agree that cabbage and carrots are not expensive but surely there has to be some protein to go with them to make a nutritious meal.

I agree with Jalima and paddyann so easy for the likes of him and his mate JO (who incidentally is looking quite porky of late) both down to their last £millions to preach to those living on the breadline.

gillybob Thu 03-May-18 07:02:31

My DGC ( fortunately) all enjoy proper meals. They all love vegetables ( eldest DGD 12 is vegetarian now) and they have been known to squabble over the amount of sprouts on each other’s plate . I know by feeding some of their friends though, that they are perhaps not typical .

gillybob Thu 03-May-18 07:08:52

We should also remember that many parents both work full time and starting to cook a meal from scratch after perhaps a 12 hour shift might not be ideal . Much easier to grab something that can be microwaved etc. My son does almost all of the cooking because he enjoys it and it’s never a chore for him but I can undertstand why many young people don’t .

OldMeg Thu 03-May-18 07:27:00

What a defeatist attitude, and now who’s being ‘judgemental’? At least someone’s trying to do something about the problem and all they get is criticism.

So what’s the alternative? This nation of gluttons is running the NHS into the ground. The programme stated that 1:6 beds in hospitals is occupied by someone with Type 2 diabetes, an illness that is largely avoidable.

I worked full time and still managed to put a home cooked meal on the table, cheaply too, as do my own children even though they work long, hard hours. It’s a commitment someone in the family has to step up to, like your son Gillybib so well done him.

Personally though I think it’s irreversible though. Too many lazy people out there who can’t ‘find the time’ to shop and cook but can find time to watch TV and access social media.

Teetime Thu 03-May-18 08:57:48

I'm enjoying the programme and I find Hugh a very warm and caring person. Last nights programme was particularly inspiring I felt it will help me to get back on track. I have downloaded a six week walking plan which I shall start as soon as I get off these crutches in 4 weeks time.

paddyann Thu 03-May-18 09:18:00

Did any of you watch Rich House Poor house last night ? That family were struggling on two wages to survive,I've always cooked from scratch as do my children but I'm not stupid enough to think everyone gets taught to cook by loving parents or that they enjoy it when its a case of cobbling together cheap uninspiring ingredients.
I dont like being preached at by those "superior beings" who because they've been lucky in life think they know it all so someone living on the breadlin must get really peed off at it.Let chefs cook ...let education come from people who might understand what its like to struggle and cry themselves to sleep ,like last nights couple,because life is so grim .

Fennel Thu 03-May-18 09:23:39

I haven't seem this series, but it takes a lot of time and effort to provide nutritious meals. Not just money, except you do need the equipment.
Then plan what you're going to make, write a shopping list, go shopping, then cook.
Jamie Oliver once started a series where he tried to teach non-cooks how to make a few simple dishes and he had to give it up - people dropped out from lack of interest etc.

annodomini Thu 03-May-18 10:00:37

It's an interesting programme but I didn't find it very inspiring. I think he should be concentrating his efforts on the schools, on both the syllabus for the food and nutrition classes and on the menus for school meals. In France, children sit down to a properly cooked meal at lunch time, including fresh fruit and vegetables.
www.google.co.uk/search?q=french+school+meals+menu&rlz=1CASMAE_enGB792GB792&oq=French+school+meals&aqs=chrome.1.0l4.7179j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Wouldn't this be a good way to curb the progression to a society of obese adults?

fourormore Thu 03-May-18 10:06:48

Teetime - off the subject slightly but where did you find the six week walking plan? I haven't got the valid excuse you have with your crutches - mine is pure slobbery grin
A structured six week plan may be the answer?

shysal Thu 03-May-18 10:36:30

I was never keen on H F-W, but loved his 'Hugh's Wild West' nature programmes on BBC2 so have warmed to him. I was surprised to see that he was in the overweight category along with many of us.
I love my veg, always filling well over half my dinner plate with them, and only eat processed foods or take-aways once in a blue moon, but still struggle with my weight despite exercising too. sad

OldMeg Thu 03-May-18 15:50:54

Sorry Fennel I disagree. It doesn’t take ‘a lot of time and effort to provide nutritious meals’. It takes a bit of time, a bit of effort and a modicum of planning.

winterwhite Thu 03-May-18 16:26:29

There seems to be some virtue signalling here.
No one can be in ignorance as to what constitutes a good diet - until of course pesticide residue in most veg is held to be cancer-inducing, wh I predict will be a scare again in the not too distant future.
Talk of the laziness of other people seems a bit harsh and impertinent. Remember George Orwell, saying that when life seems against you, you don’t want to be told how to live for a week on oranges, dates and whole-meal bread. You want a packet of chips, a packet of cigarettes and a strong cup of tea. Still much truth in that.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 16:28:46

I must say that I do like Hugh F-W - but in the programme I saw he did make me think of 'reformed smokers' grumbling about anyone who dared to light up near them.

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 16:33:48

I agree that cabbage and carrots are not expensive but surely there has to be some protein to go with them to make a nutritious meal.

Yes.

gillybob Thu 03-May-18 16:34:18

Someone needs to look at school meals because if my 2 primary school aged grandchildren’s school is anything to go by then meals are often atrocious. Fine if you are on first or even second dinner but the higher up the school you get the less there is left to eat when they get into the dinner hall. Not unusual for my years 3 and 5 DGC to say there were only horrible sandwiches left or the scrapings of the salad bar with mash or beans. Obviously it’s hard to know what each child might choose but school dinners are not cheap and I would expect that they would at the very least have a nutritious meal for their money.

gillybob Thu 03-May-18 16:37:08

Funnily enough my DGC would probably be quite happy with a plate of cabbage, carrots, sprouts etc. As they love all kinds of veg.

My eldest DGD’s secondary school canteen is the opposite and she says the food is “amazing”. She’s a vegetarian and can always find plenty to eat that she likes.

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 16:37:16

Dishes like Lancashire HotPot were invented by Lancs mill workers who had long shifts but still had to feed themselves and their familes. I'm not sure of the full details but I think cheap bits of meat and veg were left (in a pot!) on a dying fire to stew while people were at work. It can't be harder to do that now than it was then, can it?

merlotgran Thu 03-May-18 16:40:51

Exactly!

How hard can it be to throw some ingredients in a slow cooker, go to work and come home to a nutritious meal?