Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

NanKate Sun 08-Dec-19 15:20:01

I think 1.2 lbs is pretty reasonable Four after your meals out.

Please tell your DH there will also be a bit of the Mae West about me. As I greet your guests saying ‘Come up and see me sometime’. From memory MW was rather voluptuous, some may say a bit of a slapper but she had a good sense of humour.

I trust there will be nibbles after the Grand Opening, I like those gooey macrons in all colours from M and S please.

fourormore Sun 08-Dec-19 11:23:22

Can't honestly say I'm surprised - 3 course Christmas Lunch last Monday, 3 course Christmas Lunch on Thursday and a 2 course ordinary meal out on Friday - I have gained 1.2lb which is sad but to be expected really.
Meal out with friends tomorrow evening (but I should be able to keep that reasonably sensible? hmm) and another 3 course Christmas lunch on Saturday. I will be happy next weekend if I can manage to stay the same but - hey ho - it's Christmas!
Very popular this year with Christmas Lunch invitations - obviously folk are clamouring for our friendship hoping they will be invited to open our bathroom!!! The job is yours NanKate but hubby is still trying to get the image of your outfit out of his mind!!! grin
Good luck to you this week and where is Shirley????

NanKate Thu 05-Dec-19 11:30:13

Well how nice to be the chosen celebrity. You can actually advertise the opening as ‘Mother of a quite well known person’ (well he is to children) I will say no more. ?

By the way can I wear a purple outfit my favourite colour? I will be a cross between Zandra Rhodes and Grayson Perry.

Yes we like to keep our group light-hearted and I’m pleased to say we are proving successful in our own small way. Losing bit by bit, pound by pound.

fourormore Thu 05-Dec-19 08:44:17

WOW thanks NanKate we have been looking for a celebrity to do the grand opening for us!

The usual suspects like Benedict Cumberbach, Colin Firth, Leonardo di Caprio etc. have all had the nerve to turn us down!
HUH! We've now got one over on them!!!
I will email them and say "Nah nah nah nah nah, we got NanKate so don't need you!" grin

Hetty we do appreciate what you are saying but we have our little club under control and although we do have our own individual aims to lose weight we also keep it light-hearted!

Hetty58 Wed 04-Dec-19 23:11:06

It's utterly pointless to weigh yourself too regularly. The human body can store up to twenty pounds of 'waste' material. Therefore, weight will fluctuate depending on the state of the digestive system.

NanKate Wed 04-Dec-19 22:48:46

I’m back for good Four as the only way I can keep my weight stable is to fess up every month or so when I let things slide.

DH is having to put an extra hole in a belt of mine, to make it smaller not larger before you ask ?

Are you having an official opening of your new bathroom? I could make myself free to cut the ribbon. ✂️

fourormore Wed 04-Dec-19 15:50:41

Good to hear from you NanKate I was beginning to wonder if I was all alone in the wonderful world of calories grin
Had my first Christmas lunch on Monday, the second one is tomorrow and the third on Friday. Not much hope for this week I fear!
The bad news is that hubby got the scales going again and they still say the same - I suppose I can still wish that Santa will bring some that tell the truth - we are all two stone lighter than the scales say grin
The bathroom is complete and is fantastic. I am having to change the mirror though. It looked lovely when we bought it but now, every time I go into the shower there is a great fat woman there staring at me. I'm going to change the mirror to one from the fairground!
Where's Shirley???

NanKate Wed 04-Dec-19 13:04:24

As promised weighed myself this morning and I have lost three quarters of a pound, so I am feeling more hopeful.

Onward and downward girls ?

NanKate Tue 03-Dec-19 20:37:43

I’m back Four.

I went to my WI Xmas Tea today and 2 pieces of cake were eaten, plus a variety of sandwiches. I promise I will weigh myself tomorrow and report the damage. ?

fourormore Sun 01-Dec-19 10:36:16

OK then, where have my fellow comrades gone???? grin
Are you hiding with shame or hopefully out celebrating a mammoth losshmm hmm hmm
I think my scales are on the blink (NO seriously!) as once again I have a loss of 0.2lb.
However, DH has changed the batteries and now the scales don't work at all even with the old batteries back in, so I'm not sure what's going on?
I will sort them by next weekend but I have my first TWO Christmas lunches this week - tomorrow and Thursday so not over enthusiastic!
Perhaps Santa will bring me some lovely new scales that actually confirm that I am only 10 stone and not the 13ish the current ones have been saying?
Come out of hiding girls!!! flowers

fourormore Tue 26-Nov-19 16:11:45

Thanks so much Shysal - I am sure my fellow strugglers will appreciate a laugh as we are not having much success at the moment!
Good luck with your efforts and please do join us if you feel it would help - we support each other whether we have good results or slip-ups!!!

shysal Tue 26-Nov-19 11:07:03

fourormore has requested that I post this cartoon on this thread. Sorry it is a bit pale.
I am a serial dieter who started the Fast 800 plan 3 weeks ago. Lost 10 lb in the first fortnight and now I am stuck! Enjoying the low carb aspect so will keep going.

NanKate Sun 24-Nov-19 19:08:52

I’ve had no alcohol this weekend so I can have a glass or two with my friends on Tuesday evening.

It’s great I have got your support on this thread otherwise I would let things drift.

fourormore Sun 24-Nov-19 18:20:17

Oops Shirley bit of a slip but it was your birthday so don't give up - most, if not all, of it will go over the next week if you behave yourself!
The important thing is to hang on in there!
One bad result does not mean future ones need be, so just put it behind you, tomorrow is another day - a fresh start!
I am back to swimming this week so hopefully a couple of pounds will go, but I seem to be well and truly stuck around the 184lbs mark sad

Shirleyw Sun 24-Nov-19 13:28:34

Oh Nankate, 2lbs is nothing compared to me this past SEVEN days, ...before i announce it , in my defence it has been my birthday week....its not just for the day now , it seems to go on for a few days what with meeting up with family , friends etc......drum roll......up 6 and a half pounds ROFL....I say no more ....will look forward to the response

fourormore Sun 24-Nov-19 11:29:01

Well I'm one happy (and surprised!) bunny as I have stayed the same smile
It is probably the fact that while the house is in turmoil I am going out more and leaving the men to it? I suppose any exercise is better than none but I have only been wandering not really exercising as such.
As long as I stay in the region of my 184/185lbs up until Christmas I'm not going to pressure myself - then when the new year dawns it will be time for action!!!
Good luck fellow strugglers! flowers

fourormore Sat 23-Nov-19 12:52:42

Oh Nan 2lbs is not a lot so don't panic, especially over 5 weeks.
I will probably get a gain tomorrow as with the bathroom still being done we are in chaos and have tended to resort to take away or two for convenience.
Not necessarily 'bad' take away - chicken (and chips blush) rather than fish in batter. 'Healthy sandwiches etc. but bread is my enemy.
To be honest, knowing that we are going away to be spoiled rotten over Christmas I am not worrying too much provided I don't put on too much beforehand. I will really go for it in the new year!

NanKate Sat 23-Nov-19 08:53:51

Confession time girls.

I need to hang my head in shame. I haven’t, until today, weighed myself in about 5 weeks and guess what I have put on 2lbs. ?

I know how I have done it by a bit of choc here, a larger slice of cake there, a few too many drinks. So easily done.

I have at least got the time to get back on track for Christmas.

What a piglet I am. ?

Oldandverygrey Mon 18-Nov-19 17:26:42

Don't worry about it Fourormore, whats a small gain between friends!

fourormore Mon 18-Nov-19 08:47:16

Oops confession time - yesterday's weigh in was a GAIN of the 0.2 not a loss sad
The short term memory loss is getting worse or is it just wishful thinking hmm
Either way it's rubbish but as long as I stay around where I am until after Christmas I am ok.

fourormore Sun 17-Nov-19 10:21:29

Lovely to see Oldandverygrey popping back in - I too am staying the same but unfortunately I need to not stay the same!
Deja vous again this morning - another loss of 0.2lb!
The building site bathroom is still ongoing as there have been so many unexpected problems. That sounds like we have a cowboy but honestly he is not!
The tiles that he had to remove exposed more tiles underneath! When the bath was removed it exposed pipes going to places that they shouldn't be going to and to sort the shower overflow (the bath overflow is now too high), he had to hire a special long drill bit as the the wall is 18" thick!
Hey ho, he is doing a great job and it will be well worth it!
A loss of 0.2 is better than nothing but I am hoping when the scales enter the new bathroom with its new floor they may read differently?
I am probably only 8 stone - the scales have been lying all these years! Ah well back to my padded cell before matron catches me!
Good luck everyone!!! flowers

Shirleyw Sat 16-Nov-19 14:04:25

Stayed the same this week....was very lucky....

NanKate Tue 12-Nov-19 17:13:47

Because Oldand you want to be as healthy as you can for your age. Agile and not huffing and puffing when you get up from a chair. Be able to be with your grandchildren and not just be asleep in the chair with your Horlicks ?

Onward and downward is our motto ? Our little Club is small but beautifully formed ?

Keep going it’s worth it.

Oldandverygrey Tue 12-Nov-19 15:46:58

Nan - why cant I just settle for being old and fat?

NanKate Tue 12-Nov-19 07:40:09

One and a half pounds Shirley ? keep going.

Four sorry you have had a problem with your bathroom I’m sure you will be relieved and thrilled when it is finished.

Respect Oldand I think keeping the weight stable is a tricky business, I should know.