Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Couch to 5k

(41 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

icbn2802 Mon 16-Jul-18 09:50:34

Not a massive achievement, granted. But for me it is. Took on the 'couch to 5k challenge'. Today was week 1 day 1. A 30 minute session of brisk walking interspersed with jogging. So I did a total of 8 minutes of jogging with Sarah Millican offering words of encouragement every few minutes. Am not quite ready for getting out on public display, so I did it all round my fairly secluded back garden.
I'm pretty hot, sweaty and my face is a lovely shade of 'tomato red'. But I've made a start ?

Shirleyw Sat 04-Jan-20 16:04:12

Fresh start....Lets hope i stick to it...

Day 0ne, week one ...did my first run , husband came round with me with the dog ( they were walking round the field lol....at one point i could see them at a distance and my husband standing and my dog was sitting watching me run round lol...thought that was funny

Shirleyw Sun 24-Nov-19 13:36:18

annab....hows the c25k going?

annab275 Tue 05-Nov-19 16:49:37

just started today - I really enjoyed it! so much easier listening with a headset on! I daren't tell anyone I am doing it yet - maybe I will mention after a few more go's!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 13-Sep-19 19:19:35

I started running many years ago as my husband is a keen runner. I started running for 2 mins, then walking for 6 mins. Gradually I increased the running by a minute and decreased the walking. It took me several weeks before I could run for the full 8 mins without stopping. But it gave me so much confidence when I did. Ended up running quite a few 5ks and even one 10 k.

A tip, its better for your joints to run off road, on the grass or an unmade track. Mr B is 71 and still runs, even after a knee operation, but does it all off road. Also invest in a good pair of running shoes that protect your joints.

I don't run now, I took up cycling and must admit I enjoy it more.

Shirleyw Fri 13-Sep-19 19:06:02

Thats brilliant speldnan, well done. You must feel great.

Speldnan Wed 11-Sep-19 14:00:01

Interesting to read this as I was wondering if anyone else of my age had been doing this. I’m 69 and started the program a few months ago. After holidays and minor injuries I’m in the final week. I did my first 30 min run yesterday and feel quite pleased with myself. At the start I could barely run for 1 minute so I am proof that the training works. I had been walking daily though and used to be a fitness instructor in my younger days so I enjoyed the challenge.

CyclingKnitter Thu 20-Jun-19 12:01:13

Go for it, Shirleyw. You're definitely right that it's the head that gets in the way. I could probably fill a book with all the different excuses I can make to myself for why I shouldn't do the next week of C25K, but so far I've given myself a good talking to and not listened to them. Even if you repeat weeks or have a break and then go back to it, you haven't given up - don't forget that!

Shirleyw Wed 19-Jun-19 06:00:18

Oh yes cyclingknitter it's part of nhs choices isn't it? I have been on there couple years ago , also they all sorts of health forums...thanks for reminding me. Yes it is a good site for people wanting advice/tips and support on exercise, health etc.

CyclingKnitter Tue 18-Jun-19 18:25:03

Oops - it's called health unlocked, not unlimited. It's here.

CyclingKnitter Tue 18-Jun-19 18:23:54

There's a really good site called Health Unlimited, which is a forum for people doing C25k. It's incredibly supportive, has loads of people, of all shapes/sizes/ages etc and I've found the tips on this really helpful, as well as the encouragement you get from people. There are lots of people who do the same week over and over, people who start and stop the programme, and then start again. Have a look at it, those interested in doing a bit of exercise - it's helped me enormously.

CyclingKnitter Tue 11-Jun-19 12:42:04

Shirleyw - thanks! It's so easy to make excuses, isn't it? I have left it 4-5 days between runs sometimes (I need to go out very soon, or I'll miss the chance today as well). I've found that putting on running clothes as soon as I get up has helped - because then when you're ready to go, you don't have to faff about getting changed - which I've used as another excuse! Keep it up.

Shirleyw Mon 10-Jun-19 04:44:10

Well done cyclingknitter that's well good. I'm a starter and a stopper where c25k is concerned....I should really put my mind....and 'arse' into gear . I don't have any excuses, yet in my head I always make them...

CyclingKnitter Sun 09-Jun-19 20:30:14

Hi bikergran. A bit of a late reply. I hope you tried the couch to 5k programme. I started- having not run since I was about 15 & forced to do it at school. Today I finished week 4 and am completely amazed at myself. Give it a go - it’s a really good way to get moving.

travelsafar Sun 03-Mar-19 14:19:38

Really miss being able to do this form of exercise.MY feet, back and knees won't allow me to. Good luck in your quest hope you can keep it up.

Magsymoo Sat 02-Mar-19 19:19:29

Start slowly and build up. After all, where's the rush? Try the couch 2 5k programme but do it at your own pace. I run in the gym on the treadmill at the moment so I can measure what I do. Listen to your body and only do what feels right but do it regularly and try to do a little bit more each week. If running is too much at the moment then walk, then a bit more briskly, then a bit on an incline, then run for a minute. Good luck.

bikergran Fri 01-Mar-19 21:11:36

I have never ever run and if I have sprinted a few yards my heart and lungs feel like they are going to burst!

How do we know/find out if we are first of all "Fit" enough to start running/power walking ? My docs are just too busy for me to make an app to ask them !"can I start running"?

I am overweight etc .

Magsymoo Fri 01-Mar-19 20:33:45

Keep going Theoddbird. I am the same age as you and started running about a year ago. On a good day I can run for 40 minutes, some days I can hardly put one foot in front of the other! I think every run is a massive achievement and lifts my spirits and confidence enormously. The key is to keep at it 3 times or so a week until it becomes the normal thing to do. Eventually you will start to even look forward to running.

Theoddbird Sun 24-Feb-19 10:36:54

Oh...I forgot to add....I will be 68 at end of March

Theoddbird Sun 24-Feb-19 10:36:00

I started last Friday. Second day today...it was easier. I am lucky that I live in a marina on my boat and the marina is an island so a lovely walk/run around it. I felt more confident today as I knew I could run...hahahaha. That first one minute run last Friday was scary. I am no light weight by the way. A size 16. Tuesday is my third day as it is my next day off. Looking forward to the lighter evenings so I can do it after work. It says 9 weeks but I am aiming for 12 for the 5k run. How long it takes is not important...

Shirleyw Tue 12-Feb-19 06:05:48

thats great Annapops, have you been out running in the icy weather we recently had?

Annapops Fri 28-Dec-18 08:49:52

After a foot injury in October my running resumed. I now run outside too which is quite an achievement. The couch to 5k plan is complete and I run for 30mins non stop at least 3 times a week. I would never have thought at my age, 63, I would be able to do this. It's an amazing programme to follow if you want to keep fit. Thank you Sarah M.

Shirleyw Fri 28-Dec-18 05:40:00

Weather atm is pretty good to go out for a run.....hope all the c25k runners are doing good....

holdingontometeeth Thu 27-Dec-18 17:57:38

How's the 5km run training going icbn2802 ?
Have you ventured out of your back garden yet ?
I assume that Sarah Millican has improved her fitness too.

Annapops Mon 20-Aug-18 22:23:20

Early days for me. I have just started week 2 and the first run was hard. I am determined to keep going as I would love to think one day I will be able to participate in a 5k. I too go to the gym and occasionally run on the treadmill there. Running out in the open is definitely much more of a challenge but I hope to keep trying.

Magsymoo Mon 20-Aug-18 22:16:22

I am keeping going. I've got to 5k but only running on the treadmill in the gym. I aim to do it once a week and a couple of other days I run 3km with a slight incline. My ambition is to do a Parkrun but I'm a bit scared I won't be able to do it in real life conditions and that I will come in last. I know that sounds vain, but I really don't want to come in last! But I can't put into words how fantastic it makes me feel when I have completed a run. I feel young and fit and really alive.