Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Low-carb Support Thread 5 for 2019

(56 Posts)
Mamie Tue 01-Jan-19 11:26:03

Welcome aboard everyone!
Link to previous thread
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1249582-Low-carb-support-thread-4-for-2018

Mamie Sun 13-Jan-19 17:47:00

Posting menus just in case it helps! Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Today:
Egg and bacon, spelt toast
Home-made garden surplus vegetable soup, apple, orange
Slow-roast pork, roast squash, steamed leeks. Glass of wine.
Tomorrow:
Full-fat yoghurt and berries
Home made mackerel paté, spelt toast, apple, orange.
Cold pork with spicy dish of aubergines and tomato.
I am not sure how best to help people starting low-carb way of eating. Is this useful?

BBbevan Sun 13-Jan-19 19:07:25

We only have breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. Today we had lemon and poppy seed omelette with yogurt and blueberries. .Got DH's highest accolade as in " I'd have that again" It came from a book called Nourish and was lovely.

Mamie Sun 13-Jan-19 19:30:31

That sounds nice. We quite often do omelettes or shakshuka for lunch.

Riverwalk Mon 14-Jan-19 07:18:25

Just to echo what Mamie said Mumofmad - I eat plenty of vegetables, including roots, so get fibre another way. I eat little bread, pasta, rice & potatoes; and no cake, pastry or pies.

From being a teenager, and 5' 2", I was always a stone or two overweight and the typical apple. I've been on all sorts of diets over the years and they all work but as we know it's the sticking to them that counts! I find low-carbing suits me and the easiest to stick to.

Riverwalk Mon 14-Jan-19 07:23:16

Sorry, meant to say to Lemon I think low-carbing improves my energy level as I feel less sluggish - that could be psychological of course as I'm on a high when keeping the weight under control, but it'll do me!

As soon as there's a bit of light I'm off out for a river walk smile

Nannytopsy Mon 14-Jan-19 07:31:25

Several years ago I lost 4 1/2 stones on Atkins but it has crept back on. Christmas has not been good and I do worry about fibre so we are going to try eating more fibre, pulses etc while still avoiding the bread, pasta, cake side of carbs. Let’s see how that works ...

Struggling2do1 Mon 14-Jan-19 09:28:30

Thanks for the menu ideas Mamie, they sound really delicious. I started this new way of eating on Friday & have already lost just over 2lbs. It will be interesting to see how much I can lose in a full week. I am also going to get back to the gym. Do any GN also incorporate gym with low carb diet? Thanks

Lazigirl Mon 14-Jan-19 11:25:58

I can see where you're coming from MOMB. If you follow a totally ketogenic diet I can see that it would be a problem, but I don't think long term it would be sustainable. Cutting down starchy carbs is a good way of sustaining weight loss, without trying, as Mamie says to be totally carb free. I was in the pre diabetic range, but after reducing, not eliminating, some starchy carbs, have lost some weight and am no longer in the pre diabetic zone which has got to be better. I have found being more aware of diet we plan meals better, eat many more vegetables, plus nuts, pulses and occasional pasta and rice. Mamie seems to have a lovely fresh and varied diet for example.

Mamie Mon 14-Jan-19 12:32:33

Not the gym Struggling2dol, but when I first started I did the Michael Mosley high intensity thing of walking up hill really fast for a couple of minutes then easing off for 30 seconds (from memory). I do think it helped to kick start the weight loss. We live deep in the French countryside so exercise is usually walking and heavy gardening, plus a keep fit class. However I had had several months of very little exercise because of a broken ankle and have actually lost weight, so I don't think it is essential, apart from the all-important health point of view.

Lazigirl Mon 14-Jan-19 16:34:48

I do regular walking Struggling, it's cheaper than the gym!

BBbevan Mon 14-Jan-19 16:35:22

Like Mamie I don't go to the gym. I used to do Zumba , which I enjoyed. However since moving I have not found any classes for the over 70s. However we have a large garden and we grow lots of veg etc. So that is constant excercise Also I have started to cycle again and I walk whenever I can. It seems to suit my DH and I as we have not put on any weight .

advshopfronts16 Sat 19-Jan-19 08:16:49

Dude very nice post... thanks for sharing

Izabella Sat 19-Jan-19 19:47:37

Tried something a little different with cauliflower tonight. Creamed it with a little creme frais and chopped pickled gherkins stirred in. I made it into a couple of rounds and served with plain salmon and courgetti.

Lazigirl Sat 19-Jan-19 20:13:18

Sounds delicious Isabella. Did you process it or roast it in slices?

Izabella Sun 20-Jan-19 11:50:49

No it was creamed using a blitzer

BBbevan Sat 09-Feb-19 13:15:39

Mamie a bit of help please I have noticed that you have mentioned spelt bread. I have found a recipe for spelt bread in a bread maker. But the results have been disappointing. A little, barely risen, hard crust loaf. Tastes alright though. Do you make yours by hand or use a bread maker? And what is your recipe please?

Mamie Sun 17-Feb-19 12:38:53

Hi BB Sorry have been in UK and missed this!

For 1kg loaf
710g spelt flour (ours is about 70% wholemeal)
Packet dried yeast
375ml water
Dessertspoon of salt and of olive oil

Polish method: In bowl put 410g of the flour, yeast and salt mixed. Add cold water stir to make batter, cover with cling film leave overnight. Will rise and then fall back by following morning. Stir in oil, add flour gradually mixing with spoon until stiff, then tip out, mix with hands adding as much of the rest of flour as necessary until you have a smooth, non-sticky and springy dough. Form into ball, put into oiled bowl to rise. When doubled in size, knock back and shape as required (we roll and put into buttered tin). Leave to rise again, slash with sharp knife, put into oven at 230°, (make oven steamy at first by spraying water), bake for 15 minutes, turn oven down to 180° and bake 20-25 minutes.

Mamie Sun 17-Feb-19 12:41:19

Should add both risings should be covered with clingfilm.

BBbevan Sun 17-Feb-19 16:09:54

Thanks Mamie. I have had 3 tries. The loaves would have made excellent additions to the rockery. As it was the rooks quite liked them.
Will give your recipe a try tomorrow

BBbevan Sun 17-Feb-19 19:34:30

Sorry should have said did you enjoy your stay over here? It's a bit hairy for us at the mo ?

Mamie Sun 17-Feb-19 19:43:09

We did thanks BB. We stocked up on spices, hot chutneys, horseradish, mustard, English cheese, pork pies and what used to be called man-sized tissues, then had a nice English pub lunch, as we don't know when we will be back. ?

Mamie Tue 19-Feb-19 06:31:40

Did it work BB?
How is everyone doing? The weather has been so lovely that we are starting to get back to salads. I am thinking about a Waldorf for lunch. ?

BBbevan Tue 19-Feb-19 06:40:40

1piece of spelt toast for me this morning*Mamie*. And it looks like a proper loaf. Thank you. We had a lovely aubergine and peanut curry last evening. DH had nana and rice with his . I am so used to not having those things now that I find it no hardship.
Hope everyone is well. Is your ankle completely healed now Mamie?

BBbevan Tue 19-Feb-19 06:41:52

DH had naan and rice. He would never eat his Nana !!!

Mamie Tue 19-Feb-19 06:50:05

? Let us know how it tastes.
Almost there with ankle thanks BB, it is still a bit stiff and complains about distances, but much better. The lump of bone is still quite big and I am fed up about not being able to wear my boots all winter!