Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Low-carb Support Thread 5 for 2019

(55 Posts)
Mamie Tue 01-Jan-19 11:26:03

Welcome aboard everyone!
Link to previous thread
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1249582-Low-carb-support-thread-4-for-2018

Mamie Tue 01-Jan-19 11:30:32

Happy New Year to all. Thanks for the good wishes and I am pretty mobile now, though still building up walking stamina. I have been in the happy position of needing to put a bit of weight back on this Christmas and have enjoyed a few carbs (especially potatoes) along the way. Now pretty much back to target and a normal low-carb maintenance diet. Let us know how we can help Riverwalk and others.

grannyactivist Tue 01-Jan-19 11:37:02

I used this diet very successfully a few years ago, but 'fell off the wagon' when on holiday and have piled the pounds on ever since. We're eating up what's left over from the festivities and then I'm back in the fold, but will need lots of help to motivate myself.

Shirleyw Tue 01-Jan-19 15:05:27

Low carb suits me....I do slimming world but not many of the carbs.....

Riverwalk Tue 01-Jan-19 15:27:44

Thank you Mamie for our 2019 thread smile

Well I'm back on the wagon as from today - the grandchildren have just left after five days and there's not too much 'naughty' food about the place!

I didn't indulge excessively, but roast potatoes, stuffing, crisps, a few pasta dishes, extra wine, canapes, etc have taken their toll shock

Izabella Tue 01-Jan-19 15:47:27

I did indulge over Christmas, it was just easier. So I am back on the wagon helped immensely by the fact I have not really eaten properly for several days as per The Lurgy thread.

Buffybee Tue 01-Jan-19 15:55:12

I'm going to heave myself back onto the Zoe Harcombe low Carb diet.
It will have to be next Monday as I need to really organise myself for the 5 Day Detox that gets you into the diet.

lovingit Tue 01-Jan-19 16:07:52

back to slimming world to lose the half stone that has taken residency upon my person.

Mamie Tue 01-Jan-19 16:15:29

We never bother with NYE so are having a special meal tonight. Marinated venison, sprouts and roasted squash followed by chocolate mousse- 50g of very dark chocolate and 2 eggs. No sugar, no cream. It is delicious. I only had dark chocolate with grains of sea salt in, so it will be a bit different. ?

Shirleyw Tue 01-Jan-19 18:01:29

Tomorrow is my weigh in day.....when i over indulge I always look pale...my family can always tell when I've had tooooo much of a good thing lol....

Shirleyw Tue 01-Jan-19 18:02:52

....also , I get tired quickly, lethargy sets in...not good....what happens to you guys when you over indulge?....apart from weight gain lol.....

BBbevan Wed 02-Jan-19 16:07:59

We have been really poorly with nasty colds. With 9 to cater for and 5 staying we struggled. However Everybody helped and we all had a good time. I did have a roast potato and some Christmas pudding, but weight is still fine. I got 2 low carb cook books which seem full of interesting recipes.Will try some next week. We have a cruise coming up so I must be seriously low carb to give myself some lee way when we go.
Hope your ankle is O.K nowMamie ?

Mamie Wed 02-Jan-19 16:32:13

Thanks BB much better though still not fully flexible, another few weeks I reckon. Sorry to hear about the colds, hope you feel better soon.
What were your low-carb books?

BBbevan Thu 03-Jan-19 18:32:53

Gosh I had a shock this morning . I weighed myself for the first time since Christmas. And I had put on over a stone. I was stunned.
Then I realiized that DS and DiL had been using our bathroom and had changed the scales from imperial to kilos. I had to take several deep breaths
Low carb books were by Jonno Proudfoot and Annie Bell.
Some great recipes which I will try next week.

Nata Thu 10-Jan-19 07:56:35

@BBbevan
Uhh, glad you sorted that out!

Struggling2do1 Thu 10-Jan-19 14:06:05

I have put on 4kg over Christmas and that is on top of being 1.5 stones too heavy! Question, is wine ok on low carb diets? I always thought that alcohol was a no, no!

lemongrove Thu 10-Jan-19 14:13:25

Struggling Wine is an essential part of life, and if I looked like you I would be very happy indeed! wine
When we next meet I will veto your order of double chips if you like ( I’m very helpful.) smile

I would actually have a go at the low carb diet, but to all who do, do you find it effects your energy at all?

BBbevan Thu 10-Jan-19 14:38:50

I have done low carb now for 21/2 years. I have never felt better. And I have kept off the weight I lost to reverse diabetes.

Struggling2do1 Thu 10-Jan-19 16:21:40

Ah thanks Lemon you are too kind. Having consumed my weight in alcohol over Christmas & New Year I need to ween off slowly!

Mamie Thu 10-Jan-19 16:37:59

Struggling I have been low-carbing for several years and have always enjoyed a glass of wine, but only very dry wine. If you need to do a very strict weight loss then you can't have it, but I lost weight slowly over a year and it was fine. I think I have lots more energy with this way of eating, though some people notice a change at first.

Lazigirl Thu 10-Jan-19 16:49:50

Happy New Year to everyone. Glad you're on the mend Mamie. I have put on a bit of weight with Christmas eating. Was in Spain and there was delicious bread with everything blush. Now back to regular meals, and the fear of regressing into diabetic zone will keep me focussed!

Mamie Thu 10-Jan-19 17:14:50

Lazigirl my problem with Spain in winter was always eating too much fruit!
I guess the other thing about energy Lemongrove is that you must eat the fats, otherwise you will feel hungry. So full-fat yoghurt, cream etc. ?

Struggling2do1 Thu 10-Jan-19 17:53:59

Thanks for the tip Mamie. I am clearing the house of left over Christmas food and will shop low carb tomorrow with the addition of a glass of dry wine occasionally.

mumofmadboys Sat 12-Jan-19 19:05:48

Does the recent news item re need to eat 30g fibre per day to help prevent heart attacks, strokes and cancer concern you ?

Mamie Sat 12-Jan-19 19:27:58

No not really mumofmadboys. It is low carb, not no carb, so easy to include that amount of fibre and more. Fibre would mostly be from vegetables, nuts and limited quantities of fruit. As we are in maintenance mode rather than trying to lose weight we also have a slice of spelt bread a day and pulses from time to time.
I thought the Guardian article was quite misleading as it seemed to be based on a sort of Atkins diet rather than current versions of low-carb.