Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Never to old to lose weight and exercise.

(75 Posts)
Whiff Sat 15-Jun-19 13:33:39

I started to put weight on when I was eight. Am now sixty one. When I started dating my husband in 1975 I was sixteen and 11 stone. When we got married I was near 14st. After having our in 1983 daughter I was 18st. My weight fluctuated after that lowest I got was 17st and the biggest 21st. Every time I decided to lose weight my late husband and children supported me and never once was disappointed in me when I gave up and put it back on.
My husband died in 2004 at the age of forty seven I was forty five. In the intervening years I yo yo dieted.
In 2017 after my mom died I became ill just thought I was run down. I have am illness which I have had for 31 yrs . No one can tell me a name for it. I have spent years under varies consultant neurologists. I am lucky whatever it is is not killing me but has made life difficult. I have symptoms of various neurological disorders. Why I have given that information is because of two of the tablets I was taking for pain and fits gave me jaundice. I couldn't see I was yellow. Just thought all I had gone through being ill, bring the children up, my husband cancer and death. Helping with my dad until he died. Looking after my mom for ten years until her death.
Because I was so ill from the March until finally being discharged by the gastrologist(hope I have spelt that right) in August I couldn't do anything for a long time . Even lifting an empty mug was impossible. I had a lot of time to think about what I wanted out of life now none was dependent on me. Lose weight was top of the list followed by move closer to live by the children and get fitter.
I decided my weight would be a marathon and not a sprint. I would be happy to lose quarter of pound a week. In January 2018 I joined a community fit club programme run by Age UK. It was for 12 weeks. Because I have to walk with a stick and have balance problems the fitness instructor was wonderful. I used a chair to hold on to too do leg exercises and sat down to do the arm ones.
When I started to diet in April 2017 I was 19st 2.25lbs size 32. Hadn't exercised for 40yrs. I am now 11 st 12.25lbs size 16. Lost 7st 4lbs. Didn't start measuring myself until June 2017. But have lost 7" from my bust,11.5" waist and 15" from my hips. I want to get to 11st.
I have cut out danger foods from my diet i.e. chocolate, ice cream and cheese. Can't control how much I eat of those. I have not gone to weight clubs. Tried that when Nick was alive doesn't work for me. I weight everything I eat and drink and count calories. Write it down to keep check. I know even when I get to 11st for the rest of my life I will have to weigh and count calories it's the only way I can control what I put into my mouth. The fitness class carried on due to a grant from Aged UK until August 2018. I have carried on with the exercises. I do 25 mins every day. My strength has improved so has my balance. All my family and friends can't get over the change in me. They tell me all the time how proud of me they are.
My late husband would be shocked. He always loved me no matter how big I got.
It's not been easy and some weeks I have put on. But I have not given up. If I can do it you can to. I spent decades being over weight. No more. Hope this has helped some one out there.

Riverwalk Sun 16-Jun-19 19:59:08

What a journey Whiff!

I'm sorry your husband died so young, but as well as being shocked as you say, I'm sure he would be very proud of your success.

As a fellow life-long dieter I agree about the need to be constantly vigilant!

Theoddbird Mon 17-Jun-19 10:48:55

How absolutely wonderful. Well done you. Xx

Daisyboots Mon 17-Jun-19 10:54:47

What an inspiring story Whiff and very well done.

narrowboatnan Mon 17-Jun-19 10:54:55

Wowsers Whiff - you’ve done really well. I take my proverbial hat off to you! Some years ago I had a couple of months buying, cooking and eating all organically produced foods and couldn’t believe how much better I felt, how much more energy I had. Gradually slipped back to buying ‘ordinary ‘ foods because it cost too much to continue for long

b1zzle Mon 17-Jun-19 10:57:36

Well done! You are an inspiration!

Daisyboots Mon 17-Jun-19 10:59:04

When we saw the consultant after my diagnosis of metasteses my DH asked should I lose weight before starting chemotherapy. "Oh no" was the answer "your wife will soon be losing a lot of weight due to the side effects if the treatment. So no need for her to diet." Now had 3 once a week treatments and get weighed each time. I have lost just 300grams.

Molly10 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:00:24

Well done you. Keep up the good work and you'll have many more years to celebrate. flowers wine

justanovice Mon 17-Jun-19 11:04:08

Very well done. You've definitely inspired me to keep going.

BladeAnnie Mon 17-Jun-19 11:14:56

Whiff - a huge well done. What an incredible achievement!! I have put on quite a bit of weight over the past 18 months - I had major surgery on my foot and ankle which was always going to be a long recovery process. Then developed sepsis and almost didn't make it. But lived to tell the tale!! Still got a long way to go mobility-wise but your story is incredibly motivational - thank you for sharing ?

Hawelka Mon 17-Jun-19 11:15:27

I think you’re a very admirable lady and a very strong one. Congratulations, you’ve done amazingly!

Minerva Mon 17-Jun-19 11:23:58

I am so sorry you lost your husband at such a young age but my haven’t you done him proud. What an inspirational story.

grannyJillyT Mon 17-Jun-19 11:24:19

How inspirational! Well done. I desperately want to lose weight but since my husband died
(2017) I guess I have given up caring for myself. Also youngest son living with me having broken his hip (2017) after the funeral so have been caring for him and moved house.

Whingingmom Mon 17-Jun-19 11:28:36

You are inspirational - not only in your physical weight loss achievement, but your mental strength and determination are awesome.

JaneA Mon 17-Jun-19 11:33:25

Whiff - love to hear stories like yours - well done. You have given me inspiration. Thank you

Judi45 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:40:53

Whiff, well done you. I 'm 75 and really struggling to lose weight and getting so upset & disheartened. Could you tell me please how you find out how much weight for each food you should be eating and how you count the calories? Is there a book I could use for this rather than the fancy diet books?

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:46:43

Dear Whiff-thankyou so much for your inspirational post. Well done on your brilliant achievement. I'm sure as many other long term dieters appreciate it's a hard thing to do needing determination. I'm 58 and like you have yo yo dieter for most of my life. I had most success with weight watchers,the old one. Last year I tried Slimming World but although very popular didnt work for me. In may I went back to calorie counting which I hadn't done since my 20s! I'm losing a pound a week. I was amazed at how much easier it is now,theres so much info and help online and most foods have calorie info. Most importantly its changed my relationship with food as I'm accountable for everything I put in my mouth,no food is free or unlimited! I'm going on holiday in August and initially was worried that would put weight back on. I think for the first time in my adult life I appreciate that this is now a lifestyle not a short term diet. In the past I would have used a holiday etc as an excuse to overeat now I realise that's not how life can be!
For me the best approach is not to have treats available in large amounts eg a three pack of Soleros! I also am more aware of whether I'm just tired or thirsty rather than hungry. I work 2 days a week in a care home for 12 hours a day and temptation is everywhere but have learnt the importance of ensuring take own food which is tasty and high in protein and fibre and keeps me going until the end of shift!
Keep up the good work Whiff, and all of you out there who on the same journey never give up!

Dottygran59 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:54:17

Wow, Whiff that's amazing! Well done you. So sorry that you lost your hubby, and yes, he would have been shocked and very very proud of you.

I am dieting, and like you it's very slow, but so worthwhile, only 4lbs to my target and some weeks it's only half a pound, but I love being slim and stylish again.

Massive pat on the back to you

Caro57 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:54:25

What an inspirational post - thank you. Very well done, I am sure you must feel better for the loss too. I am struggling with 7lbs to do to my target, having gained again whilst on holiday - you have really encouraged me!

vickya Mon 17-Jun-19 12:08:19

Well done, Whiff . You are doing the right things to keep healthy and yes, staying that weight or a bit less is the long-term, lifelong thing.

I was like you, always overweight, size 16-18 and yoyoing and struggling from about age 10. I got to a pound under 19 stones and at age 60 I could hardly walk as have arthritis. I went o Slimming world and lost 3 stones. thought I could do it alone from then on and stopped going and began to gain. I then went to Weightwatchers and lost a further 5.5 stones.

This took about 4 years though. Slower stays off. I've been WW gold member since 2009 and am able to walk again. I swim daily and walk on a treadmill and do tai chi. Getting 2 dogs helped a lot as they have to walk, rain or shine, hot or cold. But it means I have had to change my pattern of eating.

I count the WW points as I love eating and still have days when I lose the plot and can gain 3 lbs in a day! That 3 lbs takes several weeks to lose again. I weigh in weekly at WW as the check there means I can't fool myself. And the advice and encouragement and tips on what is filling but healthy and less fattening are so helpful.

I was around 64 when I got down to a healthy weight. There are ladies at my meeting who are older and bigger and find the advice helps them. This has been an advert for slimming groups smile I have a group of online friends too and we weigh weekly and chat about health and weight.

Cece44 Mon 17-Jun-19 12:27:58

Hero of the day! A truly inspiring post. Well done you!?

Whiff Mon 17-Jun-19 12:50:17

Oh my. Reading all your messages has made me cry. I didn't think I would get any feed back. I can't get over all the lovely things you have said. I have been posting on the house and home forum as I have being having a time of selling my house. Buyers have pulled out on me twice days before exchanging the contracts. But even though I can't control any of that. My dieting is something I can control which has helped me cope with all the hassle I have to go through.
To all who have succeed congratulations. And to all who are still fighting to lose weight believe me it is worth it.
I used to hate clothes shopping I only brought what fit not what I liked. Now clothes are cheaper. Don't have to shop at Evans and other out size shops. Love the clothes sold in supermarkets and of course M&S.
Thank you all again.

widgeon3 Mon 17-Jun-19 13:04:22

Lost 4 st 9 lbs Was lucky that my husband had to go away for a period and I was able to change the diet. He was always skinny and liked a very calorific diet which the whole family ate.I just retained the weight put on after having had 5 pregnancies
During his 8 months abroad I fed the children on the diet that they chose ( but it WAS nutritious) and for myself a very low calorie diet consisting mainly of home-made soups. I cut out the bread as that had always been saturated in butter and i didn't like it without. The vegetables in the soup ensured it was rich in fibre
The September term started 2 months later and I was back to teaching and school meals but already my appetite had diminished and i found very small portions were all I needed. Please remember that school food is not necessarily the most appetizing and i had trained my stomach to eat far less.
The next year I joined my husband abroad but in a warmer climate where he was willing to eat a less calorific diet. The entire weight loss had occurred whilst he was away and we all adopted the same normal diet without any weight gain on my part. After 25 years of eating normally we returned to the UK when he felt the need for steak and kidney puddings again. I just did not have the energy to cook separate menus, adopted his, even with reduced portions and regained most of the weight I had lost 25 years before,.

Moral.... get your family used to eating ready made meals and you can eat as lightly as you like... Please let me know if you find any without additives/ preservatives etc and which taste like my home made as I haven't come across them yet and have tried most brands in most stores

BonnieBlooming Mon 17-Jun-19 13:04:31

Well done!!! I also lost weight slowly and without going to a slimming club. At my heaviest I was 20 stone, I'm half that now. I think your attitude is spot on. Be happy with slow and steady and dont be downhearted when you have a wee gain. To lose all that weight with a disability is especially commendable. I sure you feel so much better for it and look amazing !

Redrobin51 Mon 17-Jun-19 13:04:37

What a wonderful inspiring post. Unused to work for Age UK and those classes turned around alot of people's lives. Many did them to help with general health and balance but being more active had the knock on effect of them also losing weight. You have showed great courage and determination and I am sure your family are extremely proud of you.x

Whiff Mon 17-Jun-19 13:08:11

Judi45 I use an old copy of Rosemary Conley A-Z of fat and calories. Unfortunately when I wanted to get a new copy couldn't get on anywhere. I always look at packaging for all the things I buy. See how many calories per 100g and using my trusty calculator work out per gram. I then write it in the book. There are calorie books available also supermarkets have nutritional and calorie information on all there products on line. The NHS website has some useful information . Which you might find interesting. Don't buy fancy diet books found they are useless. For me the key has been weighing everything and counting the calories I have done it by myself. I tried slimming clubs years ago but they were not for me. But for some people they work. You have to find what suits you. No easy I know. Hope that helps.