Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

How did this happen and...

(41 Posts)
HotTamales Wed 04-Dec-19 00:27:27

...more importantly what can I do about it?

It’s not that I’ve ever been skinny, far from it but I was always slim. Aside from when I was pregnant or breastfeeding I’ve been the same clothes size since my teens.

I’ve always been active and I love a good walk but was never one for gyms or cycling.

Then suddenly 43 happened and since then my weight has crept up. In the ensuing years it keeps creeping. I’ve been ill this year and the resulting time in bed means I’ve gone up 2 dress sizes (in total, not in addition to the weight I originally began to put on).

I’m (mostly) recovered from my illness now and it’s time I addressed my weight.

Although I would modify my diet I don’t want to go on a diet as such and besides, the consultant has said I shouldn’t yet. For similar reasons I can’t and won’t start a strenuous exercise regime.

I need to change things gently; being back on my feet will help but my main questions are:

- are there gentle, sustainable diet and exercise plans I could begin?
- what has worked to stop and even reverse your middle aged spread?
- is there anything you’ve tried that you would advise against?

mumofmadboys Wed 04-Dec-19 17:56:43

I would second tanith's post. Simple and attainable

Buffybee Wed 04-Dec-19 18:02:16

Same here! Low Carb will lose the weight, exercise doesn't really make you lose weight, it's more for fitness.
Try Zoe Harcombe 3 Step, (I think it's called) and has a Facebook help page.

4allweknow Wed 04-Dec-19 18:16:08

Dieting as generally thought of doesn't work. Yes weight comes off but then goes back on with a vengeance. Look at what you eat, how much you eat. If heavily carbs reduce them, same with protein and of course look at portion size. You are probably pre menopausal too and we all know what that can do to weight and shape. Firmly believe in thermal dynamics, if you put to much into your body without burning it off of course you will put on weight. Control what goes in and you shouldn't have too much bother and need little exercise other than for maintaining good health.

Solonge Wed 04-Dec-19 18:20:13

When I was exhausted a few years ago, working as a nurse and charity worker, I tried a vegan diet, cut out all wheat, coffee, tea, alcohol, processed food. I cooked from scratch, drank fruit and herb teas, at nuts, veg, fruit and a small amount of Olive Oil daily. I too had always been slim but drank a lot of coffee, ate haphazardly and not always the best foods. After a year I had lost 3 stone, was full of energy, slept like a baby and was awake early every morning. Not an easy diet to fit into a busy social life...but I managed. Try it, its cheap, easy and you will feel the benefits.

M0nica Wed 04-Dec-19 18:34:42

Same thing happened to me. I pit two stone on despite being physiacally active. I tried every diet known, and others and it had no effect until Michael Moseley introduced the 5:2 diet when I was bout 70. Lost the 2 stone in 4 months.

I do not think it was the specific diet more that my body seemed to have readjusted itself to a non-diet resistant mode. I have not put the weight back on.

Naty Wed 04-Dec-19 18:44:01

Do not neglect weight bearing exercises...these are fundamental as you age. Intermittent fasting is also very easy. Basically fast for 16 hours a day. This means you consume all calories in an 8 hour window of time. And exercise with NO food in your system to supercharge weight loss. I lost 15 pounds easily with this. I also used a website called myfitnesspal to track calories. It will help you to figure out how much you should be eating according to your goals, weight and height. It was AMAZING.

Naty Wed 04-Dec-19 18:45:19

But I'm 34 years old...just a disclaimer because you wanted to hear from ppl who stopped the spread. These principles will work for anyone, though!

hazel93 Wed 04-Dec-19 19:06:08

I just love food ! My only saving grace is I don't have a sweet tooth.
When I get to the point where I have to buy the next size up I don't actually cut anything out just use a smaller plate. Sounds simple but it does work .
To me the word "diet" implies deprivation. told I could not eat certain foods would only make me crave them!
I also have a cycle trainer which I use watching TV, not strenuous unless you up the gears.
Good luck - keep us posted.

Daffydilly Wed 04-Dec-19 20:06:23

Google Rebelfit UK and have a read. It's changed my life, the way I think about food and exercise. X

JacquiG Thu 05-Dec-19 00:00:13

Try keto diet, it has a good reputation. Yoga is good too.

oldgimmer1 Thu 05-Dec-19 06:52:35

I don't think anything "gentle" is going to work. You're probably hitting the age where you're going to have to radically overhaul how you eat.

It's not going to be a diet though. It's a sustainable change.

Personally, the only thing that works for me is counting calories. MFP is good for that. Just download to your phone. It'll set you up with 1200 calories for a long-term gentle-ish weight loss. If you're energetic, it's even better as you can input your exercise calories.

MamaCaz Thu 05-Dec-19 09:45:38

I am still slim, but it is much harder now to control my weight than it used to be pre-menopause.

Interestingly, I have hardly eaten any meat for the last couple of weeks, and my weight has actually dropped (even though I don't think my overall calorie intake has changed). I wasn't expecting that, but it's very welcome!

HotTamales Fri 06-Dec-19 20:32:05

My BMI is currently 26.6.

I’d been feeling that something was not quite right’ since the start of the year, to cut to it I had emergency surgery 8 weeks ago. I’m up and about now and I’ve started taking gentle walks but I‘d slowed down as I became increasingly poorly. Having spent time inactive I’m left feeling doughy and I certainly have gained weight.

The 5:2 diet would certainly be out of the question for now, as is weight bearing exercise.

I’m going to start increasing the speed and distance that I walk every day and reduce my carbs to begin with and see whether that helps.

Shropshirelass Sat 07-Dec-19 09:31:40

Keto way of eating, low carbs and zero sugar. This will be beneficial in lots of ways. Good luck.

Catherine55 Mon 16-Dec-19 11:35:45

I much prefer exercise over dieting, as being active just makes me feel better and I don't feel I have to give anything up!

Just making sure you walk more is a good habit to pick up, if you do have the time to spare, try walking to somewhere you'd normally drive, it doesn't get me out of breath but always gives me a good sense of achievement!

WRT dieting, like I said I don't like heavily cutting down, but making sure your meals only have one carb element, and low fat protein like fish or chicken.