Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear ? the sequel!

(1001 Posts)
NanKate Wed 01-Jan-20 08:17:35

On 08 May 2018 I started this thread for those who wanted to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle. Many people have joined up and many pounds lost and a few gained.

However the 2 Gransnetters who have stayed the course are Fourormore and Shirleyw who have helped to keep me on the straight and narrow, most of the time ?, and kept up our spirits. Plus a few others who make an occasional entrance and departure and that is fine too - All Welcome.

Do join us the rules are simple.

Choose your own style of diet plan.
Check in regularly with a report of the highs and lows of the diet.
Have an occasional binge but get back on the wagon ASAP.
Pass on any useful diet tips.

So for example I started calorie counting with the NHS Diet Plan. I now eat what I like but make portion control my mantra. I am sure both Four and Shirley will tell you their strategies.

You have nothing to lose, other than weight, on this thread.

So Onward and Downward ? in 2020 and beyond folks. Come and join us.

craftyone Sun 01-Nov-20 18:05:01

Blips!! As whiff says, this is a marathon and not a sprint, my mantra now

I managed 2lb this week, no idea how, it was touch and go.

Tell me about the excess skin. Does it ever shrink back or is it just a fact of life

Whiff Sun 01-Nov-20 13:08:44

Fourormore it's a blip. You have enough to worry about. I can't understand people some have I'm alright jack attitude. They don't care about anyone. They would soon have a wake up call if they or someone close to them got it. Then they would be demanding special attention.

My wonderful daughter said you need a rice sock for your neck. Said I didn't have any rice. So she popped round with some. I am now wearing a lovely sock neck warmer. Once it cools back in the microwave . Mind you couldn't think what sort of sock to use so thought cotton would be best. This will be great to use when my wrist hurts.

My home improvements guy has put a coat of clear varnish on my gate it looks lovely. Beautiful pine gate.

fourormore Sun 01-Nov-20 11:39:46

Dorset you are not alone and as Whiff says it is a blip!
I had a ridiculous result last week when I lost that half pound that I didn't deserve.

This week the scales got their own back and I have put on 1.4. Serves me right as I have been stupid this week and spoiled myself too much.

I knew the nationwide lockdown would come and I dreaded it. We still have a very, very sick relative and should anything happen to him in lockdown we will not be allowed to go to the family. I am so angry because it's idiots who have chosen to ignore advice that are keeping the virus spreading. I won't get going on that though angryangryangry

I know I have let myself go too much this week but hopefully I can be a bit more disciplined this coming week. I will remain in the gang as I know you all understand how mood affects results and you are all there to support me!
Thank you all flowersflowersflowers and welcome to all our new friends!

Whiff Sun 01-Nov-20 10:43:50

Dorset it's a blip. Like the rest of us you will not give up. Which is what the old me would have done. You are a fighter and it's a new week and new month. Had to believe it's November already. My mantra this week is going to be stick to allowance no going over. Hopefully I can do it. Got an Italian style Quorn chicken piece stew cooking away. Will put the pasta in for the last 20 mins. Then that's my next 6 dinners sorted.
Chin up stomachs in.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 01-Nov-20 09:56:41

Good morning all.?. Sunshine instead of rain here at the moment,but no rainbows as yet fourormore ?.
Well done to all the brilliant weightloss and hi to everyone new.?.
I often watch my 600lb life to CraftyOne. I think it shows how complex a process weight loss/gain is.
I hope you are OK Whiff. I must admit I'm extra cautious about tripping at home now I live on my own. Of course extra caution not really that helpful as these things happen. I remember my parents staying here at Christmas a decade ago. It was the year everything was snowy/frozen. Meticulous care had been taken to ensure 6 foot from drive to door ice free. Safely got them indoors only for Mum to slip on last stair a few hours later. It was Christmas Eve but out came the paramedics. She was fine,nothing broken but decided to spend night on sofa. Christmas morning could get up,paramedics out again! Admitted to hospital,nothing they could find wrong. Our lives were regularly interspersed with paramedics for a few years,wonderful bunch!
Well hands up I've put on 4.25 pounds. I havent weighed daily and it was a bit of a shock. I dont feel as though I have eaten excessively, I've been on holiday and put on less! I have eaten more bread,in fact almost daily in form of sandwich or toast and of course its what's on or in it?. I must admit I have no motivation at all today,but will keep on keeping on until I do. Have a brilliant week everyone ?

Whiff Sun 01-Nov-20 09:23:22

Sarahmob that's brilliant. And nearly 2 stone well done.

Whiff Sun 01-Nov-20 09:20:58

Well another week the same weight. Did my exercises each day but did go over on my calories a few days . Will have to stick to them this week . Unfortunately exercises on hold.

Yesterday had my last 6 plants arrive. So donned my waterproof trousers, coat and wellies. Planted 4 them noticed the rubber thingy was missing off one of the canes. Stool on a rock and slipped and landed on my lawn luckily on my bum which still has plenty of padding. My home improvements guy had phoned earlier to say they were coming to put my new gate on. So phoned them to see if they were on the way luckily they were. At least I know my waterproofs are good as I sat on the lawn in the rain for 15 mins and was lovely and dry. They picked me up. So glad I don't weigh 19+ stone. Felt ok so planted the last 2 plants.

Found out later the back of my neck hurts. Ok if I move it gently. Just have to remember to be careful when moving my head. It was fine under the hot water in the shower. But can't pour hot water on it all day. Got a telling off from my daughter when I told her what I had done. But on the plus side got a lovely new garden gate and frame. If the rain stays off they are coming to varnish it today.

Hope everyone has had a good week.

Sarahmob Sun 01-Nov-20 09:14:00

I’m not a pear unfortunately, I’m an apple - (although that’s something I already knew.) I’m just going to take comfort in the fact that a) I’m doing something to lessen my risk factors and b) that I’ve taken off another 2 and half pounds this week.
Only another 2and half pounds and I’ll hit the 2st loss marker I’m looking at.
Hoping that everyone has had a good week and that the news about lockdown isn’t getting anyone down too much.

craftyone Fri 30-Oct-20 09:50:26

tbh it is very reassuring to be told what we all knew anyway, that pears are less risk because the weight is below the important abdomen zone. My legs have always been `sturdy`, hated them when a teenager and so envious of those with slim legs up to armpits. Then I remember the apple shaped friend with slim legs from long ago, she passed away with heart problem. Best to always be grateful for what we are, anyway no-one looks further down than that beaming smile on your face and friendly wrinkles

So I looked at last sunday reading and am a fluctuating lb up on yesterday. A little more effort required for the next two days. I would love to be 2lb lighter than last sunday. Small tweaks made, I made hm almond milk and am having the very dark chocolate in that instead of semi milk and for the first time, I added a quarted tsp of ground cinnamon. Its nice

Whiff Thu 29-Oct-20 17:31:59

It said I was avocado but I am definitely pear shaped.

Astral Thu 29-Oct-20 15:57:48

I am definitely a pear then!

NanKate Thu 29-Oct-20 15:51:46

Thanks Craftyone I am at moderate risk, useful to know.

CocoPops Thu 29-Oct-20 15:11:10

Craftyone mine = moderate risk and describes me as avocado shaped! Love it.grin

Whiff Thu 29-Oct-20 13:58:49

Craftyone did mine moderate risk. grin.

craftyone Thu 29-Oct-20 10:38:39

pears can smile

try this waist hip calculator

I did mine and it tells me that I am a low health risk grin

www.thecalculatorsite.com/health/whr-calculator.php

craftyone Wed 28-Oct-20 12:37:42

thanks for the encouragement whiff. I have been very busy today and am energised but having been up and down stairs several times, I feel no need to do extra cycling indoors. I bet the queen does nothing extra for exercise and look at her great age. Just standing burns energy btw

I sometimes watch my 600lb life, it does help to keep me on the straight and narrow. I couldn`t help thinking that the woman last night had a victim mentality and I felt very sorry for the poorly mum. What a filthy hovel they lived in too. I think dr Now did very well with what he said, some people are beyond helping but he was good all through

Whiff Wed 28-Oct-20 08:21:27

That's brilliant Craftyone. At least you know what you want to do. I find it's easier to have a plan of action.

craftyone Wed 28-Oct-20 08:04:19

I am holding my own this week, have lost 2lbs but don`t want to lose any more for sunday weighing, nice and steady for me going forwards.

Whiff Mon 26-Oct-20 16:39:57

Never had any problems. I either blanch it for 3 mins or as I cooked the whole thing yesterday to use part of it I froze the rest . Just in a large plastic bag. I will just take out what I need and reheat. When I cook braised red cabbage always freeze it in portions in plastic bags.

Astral congrats losing glad it was a nice surprise.

craftyone Mon 26-Oct-20 15:05:48

whiff I have never frozen cabbage. Does it freeze well? I love savoy but am working my way through my own red cabbage first, waste not want not

Astral Mon 26-Oct-20 14:20:08

I'm a pound down today, wasn't expecting it so happy surprise. I have 10 pounds to go to reach 10 stone then will see how I feel.

6 pounds lost in 9 days, I must have been carrying a lot of excess water! No wonder I have been up to the loo in the night

Whiff Mon 26-Oct-20 11:58:02

Craftyone congrats on losing. I made a cabbage cheese to go with my stew for dinner. I hadn't had a Savoy cabbage for months and fancied one. Only used 53g cheese 30g each of flour and low fat olive spread and skimmed milk with 150g cabbage made 4 lots each portion worked out at 149 cals as my stew was only 175 cals makes a hearty meal. Rest of cabbage in the freezer .

Cutting toe nails is so much easier for me as well without a huge tummy in the way.

Intent to grow some of my own veg next year. Mostly in my greenhouse . Which will go up next year once paving done. Following Craftyone who is an expert gardener growing fruit and veg.

Will be making blueberry jam one day this week. Don't buy jams or marmalade as make my own same with chutneys.

Have a good week everyone.

MayBee70 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:17:05

Reaching them is only half the battle if you have toe nails like mine....

craftyone Mon 26-Oct-20 10:58:50

sparkling flowers

I am so glad that I put my scales by my bed betwixt en suite and bed, it helped me when I was on a plateau all last week. So I have tweaked my food a bit, upped the protein, kept veg the same as I eat a lot of veg but changed out of roots to salad stuffs and this morning, it is another lb gone.

I am a sugar addict and it has been so hard to wean myself off. I still have chocolate but a small bit of 85% as it is so good for me and I still have a bit of my blackcurrant jam on crunchy toast, the last meal of the day by 4.30 which I count as a snack, the only bread in the day and the only jam. It marks the psychological dividing line, when I actually stop eating until breakfast

I had a lot of ground almonds in the freezer and some excess eggs, I made almond scones, small ones, no sugar or flour. They are excellent for that mouth hunger in the afternoon. Butter, egg and almonds and it fills me. I made 2 x cauliflower cheese yesterday and am looking forward to the second one this afternoon. I am having a hearty salad again, takes a bit of munching and digesting, better for me at lunchtime as it is fully digested and assimilated before bed

A spin off from losing 3kg is that it is much easier to cut my toe nails grin

NanKate Mon 26-Oct-20 07:30:34

Morning All.

Yes thanks Shirley we had a celebratory lunch at Cote. Shared a starter with DH then had grilled chicken sliced potatoes in a mushroom sauce, and a small white wine spritzer and NO pud. Back on the wagon today.

Keep going folks. ?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion