Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

"Dry January" and weight loss

(59 Posts)
Davida1968 Sun 05-Jan-20 17:10:31

DH & I are doing a "dry January". Did any GNs out there complete this (successfully!) last year? And if so, did anyone find that it had helped them to lose weight?

gillybob Sun 05-Jan-20 17:34:53

I’m in the middle of a dry October, November, December, January .....

Haven’t touched a drop of alcohol for almost 4 months . Not through choice I hasten to add. I Don’t feel any better ( for it) at all and haven’t lost so much as an ounce of weight .

Urmstongran Sun 05-Jan-20 17:58:20

I gave it up for Lenten once. 7 weeks. Lost 1lb.

Wake Mon 06-Jan-20 00:17:16

Didn’t drink alcohol last October and now doing Dry January. Not sure why as didn’t lose weight when I stopped last time. You’re supposed to sleep better as well so why am I writing this at just after midnight in our spare room having gone to bed at 10.30?.!,

suzied Mon 06-Jan-20 05:57:30

You’ll get the moaners on here saying they only drink half a shandy once a year so anyone needing to do Dry January must be a total alcoholic - why they feel the need to say that I’ve no idea. I do dry January and Veganuary this year, not polishing my halo just yet. If you think that a couple of glasses of wine has similar calories to a slice of cake, then all being equal you should lose weight. However, if you replace your glass of vino with a bag of crisps or bag of cashew nuts, you won’t.

Teetime Mon 06-Jan-20 06:35:20

Im doing Dry January to reset my attitude to alcohol, try to get a better nights sleep and hopefully lose weight. Its bloody miserable and I am eating chocolate and biscuits to cheer me up!

NanKate Mon 06-Jan-20 06:52:51

I had a dry January a couple of years ago. I lost no weight felt thoroughly miserable and vowed never to do it again. I didn’t sleep any better either. So I am back to a glass or two of vino at the weekend.

Cheers ?

Marydoll Mon 06-Jan-20 07:32:38

I have not had any alcohol for nearly a year, due to medical conditions and interraction with medication.
At least if I had lost any weight, I would have felt better about it.
I haven't lost a bit of weight, despite no longer gorging on crisps and dip with my wine!!!

Davida1968 Mon 06-Jan-20 09:59:17

Thank you for your comments, GNs. Oh dear, so far things are not looking good for the weight loss, though I take heart from susied's comments. On the plus side, I note this morning that I have lost 3lbs since Christmas, so I live in hope....

Urmstongran Mon 06-Jan-20 10:03:28

Perhaps any weight loss would be a bonus. Your liver will be grateful though. And your blood pressure. Good reasons health wise to do it.

Good luck!

Americanpie Mon 06-Jan-20 10:25:20

I am doing it again after a successful attempt last year and I lost 7lbs without trying and I ate what I wanted, more or less. Apparently as alcohol is seen as poison by the liver it processes it first and leaves food until later. I think this is why even a few low calorie tipples can pile the weight on. Good luck.

icanhandthemback Mon 06-Jan-20 10:31:33

I had one bottle of Porter over Christmas. There's no weight loss when I give up alcohol!

kaycee Mon 06-Jan-20 10:37:01

Good luck davida1968. I am doing dryish January! Trying to get back to 2-3 alcohol free days a week and then sticking to the 14 units per week. Not to lose weight but because I felt my alcohol intake was creeping up. Hope I can keep this up beyond January.

Theoddbird Mon 06-Jan-20 10:39:17

All the alcohol has gone now...so thinking about it seriously even though a few days into January.

LadyO Mon 06-Jan-20 10:46:31

Oh yes it’s my third Dry January... going ok so far but it’s SUCH a long month ahead. My Partner is doing it as well and it’s not so much the alcohol I miss but the social side of sharing a nice bottle at the restaurant or by the fire at home. The alcohol-free substitutes are ok-ish but I tend to just drink water... you do get a bit sick of it but I hate all sweet fizzy soft drinks. Off to the gym shortly to take my mind off it. The main aim, as Teetime said, is to reset my attitude after Christmas - I will then stick to only drinking at weekends going forward.

Singlegrannie Mon 06-Jan-20 10:57:05

I hate having a birthday in January- it messes up resolutions and is not a good time for celebrating. To make it worse, my surgery have decided (unilaterally) that I must have my diabetic review "close to my birthday". It's enough to drive me to drink......!!

Cid24 Mon 06-Jan-20 10:58:37

I find the weight falls off me when I don’t drink !

kaycee Mon 06-Jan-20 10:59:02

I wish there were better alcohol-free drinks around, the ones that are good are quite expensive. When we were in Italy I used to drink Crodino but it's difficult to get here and really expensive. Certainly a gap in the market I think.

KatyK Mon 06-Jan-20 11:00:38

A few years ago I lost two stone. I didn't give up alcohol. I still had a couple of glasses a night as I did before I went on the diet.

JonesKpj000 Mon 06-Jan-20 11:01:51

I had no choice due to husbands health conditions to support him, but also due to my meds. It's been 2 years now, and I can honestly say I do not miss it. I couldn't be doing with a hangover anymore. Sorry to say, I haven't lost any weight as a result but I do feel much better in myself for it. Good luck to all of you doing Dry January. Cheers to those that aren't doing it x

mamaa Mon 06-Jan-20 11:02:24

Did the sober October MacMillan thing, now going 'dry' in the week...October made no difference to weight unfortunately although I did feel a sense of achievement so that was a positive; albeit short lived due to 'letting go' over the festivities! wink

M0nica Mon 06-Jan-20 11:02:31

It depends how much you drink and whether your replace it with something else

Stop drinking a bottle of wine a day and spend your evenings eating sweets or pork pies and you will probably gain wait.

Stop drinking a bottle of wine a day and replace it with fizzy water with ice and a slice of lemon and you will probably lose weight.

Gingergirl Mon 06-Jan-20 11:02:53

Worth trying. Due to minor illness I didn’t drink for three months...also cut down on sugary foods and portion sizes and have lost (unintentionally) three quarters of a stone. Alcohol is calorie laiden and anyway, it’s good to give the liver a rest!

Craftycat Mon 06-Jan-20 11:27:56

We both lost weight over Christmas- no idea why as we ate well. Possibly because we got a bug day after Boxing Day & we are still coughing. Unfortunately we still have a lot of food to eat up in the freezer.

Juno56 Mon 06-Jan-20 11:59:09

This is my third Dry January and as with some other posters I did/do it to reset my attitude to alcohol. It works because the rest of the year, other than Christmas and holidays, I generally don't drink on 'school nights' (Sunday - Thursday). I feel healthier for it but sadly it doesn't have any effect on my weight.