Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

New low-carb thread for post lockdown.

(138 Posts)
Mamie Tue 23-Jun-20 17:47:09

Hello everyone. Have been asked to start a new low-carb thread for those with a few pounds to lose, so here goes.
We have had a very bizarre dietary lockdown involving helping our neighbour to use up her unsold egg surplus (24 a week for two of us), finishing up unidentified leftovers from the freezer (it isn't ratatouille it's tagine), eating produce from the garden in season (10 kilos of broad beans anyone?) and creating menus from the somewhat limited and bizarre offerings of French click and collect shopping (I ordered duck breasts not paté).
We are more or less back to normal now, so please join us, tell us what you are eating and help people lose that surplus weight.

Riverwalk Thu 21-Jan-21 09:02:12

I know this thread was started after the first Lockdown and we're now on our third, I think, but I need a bit of a kick to get back on the wagon and tackle these extra pounds!

I had eggs, tomatoes and a latte for breakfast and taken sardines out of the freezer for lunch; and tonight who knows!

lincolnimp Sun 03-Jan-21 20:20:38

I have so enjoyed reading all the posts, and you have really inspired me.
I am on day 2 of the Keto diet, using their meal plan.
I lost 5 stones about 10 years ago, on a low carb diet suggested by my GP as I was pre type 2 diabetic with high BP
Kept it off until we had a major stress incident 3 years ago, and I just comfort ate.
Lockdown then added more weight---but NO MORE
I have started the year as I mean to go on, and intend to end the year 2 1/2 stone lighter.
Thank you for your inspirational tips

Riverwalk Fri 21-Aug-20 21:47:09

I'm glad to hear that your daughter is recovering Mamie. smile

I'm sure you're spoiling her with your lovely food!

Mamie Fri 21-Aug-20 18:43:50

Yes thank you, she is much better. Just waiting for the insurance to arrange to get her home. We are enjoying spoiling her!

BBbevan Fri 21-Aug-20 17:32:05

Is she alright now Mamie ?

Mamie Fri 21-Aug-20 13:35:14

Hi all! Sorry to go off grid for a while but the family came for a short break and DD was rushed to hospital for emergency surgery. She is recovering well and there are no long-term implications, but haven't had much time to think about food. ?

Riverwalk Mon 17-Aug-20 07:52:55

It's much cooler now, max 22C, today I think, same yesterday - but it's still quite humid so I'm getting in a 2-hour walk this morning before my energy is drained!

Eggs, tomatoes & mushrooms for breakfast, and lunch will be gammon & cheddar salad. Ocado delivery later so I'll be spoilt for choice for tonight. smile

My freezer, only 3-draw, is satisfyingly almost empty - I do enjoy batch-cooking then eating the fruits of my labour and not letting frozen food lurk in there for months!

BBbevan Thu 13-Aug-20 17:50:03

We have loads of beetroot in the garden. I saw a recipe for beetroot wine, but I think I will pass on that one. We are having a frittata this evening with salad. Nothing with runnerbeans as we are all beaned out.

Riverwalk Thu 13-Aug-20 12:31:34

I ate breakfast at 06.30 so thoughts are turning to lunch - salmon fillet with salad, including lots of beetroot. I seem to have accumulated a few vacuum packs of cooked beetroot, so it will be gracing my salads for the next few days!

Not sure about tonight - something from the freezer, probably meatballs and courgetti.

Mamie Sun 09-Aug-20 16:33:14

We had egg and bacon fried on the barbecue this morning, cheese salad for lunch and veal chops with more salad tonight. It is horrendous here. So hot and dry beyond belief. We have several very big trees in our garden and the leaves are turning brown and falling off.

Riverwalk Sun 09-Aug-20 16:15:58

As much as I love food have to say that this very humid weather does rather dull my appetite - I'm still hungry but can't build up any enthusiasm!

Breakfast was eggs, tomatoes and avocado; lunch bits and bobs from the fridge e.g. leaves, coleslaw, mozzarella balls, chorizo; tonight will be sirloin steak and salad.

BBbevan Fri 07-Aug-20 09:52:48

We had spagbol last night. Me with Courgetti, DH with buckwheat penne. I have no idea about this evening , though it might be Herby Fish stew if it isn’t too hot.

Riverwalk Fri 07-Aug-20 07:29:47

Going to be 34C today and much of the same for the next few days so lots of salads in the offing, although I still like hot food on hot days!

I have a smoked gammon joint in the slow cooker, which I'll slice and portion and have some for lunch - the rest will go in the fridge and freezer. Tonight baked cod loin with what I don't know yet.

BBbevan Tue 04-Aug-20 17:18:08

Really cold and wet here, but warm weather forecast for Thursday
. Hallelujah! we have found a recipe for courgettes that DH actually requested today. Mamie’s courgette matchsticks with spices. We had them last week I think. Anyway I’m not complaining as we have a glut of courgettes and beans at the moment.
Thanks Mamie, It has always been difficult to get DH to enjoy vegetables. ???

Mamie Fri 31-Jul-20 18:43:02

We had another morning at the beach, the sea was lovely but it was 30° by 11am.
Lunch was egg mayo and avocado and dinner was veal chops with green bean and tomato salad.

Theoddbird Fri 31-Jul-20 11:35:45

I have a keto vegan recipe book. The recipes are quite complicated som with things I had never heard of. think I will stick to weight watchers...hahaha

BBbevan Fri 31-Jul-20 11:10:39

We too are having smoked salmon and scrambled egg but for lunch. Crustless quiche and salad for supper. We only have breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. We do 16:8 fast during the week.

Riverwalk Fri 31-Jul-20 10:19:36

I did an hour's walk at 08.00 and it was already 25C - up to 34C later!

Smoked salmon & scrambled eggs for breakfast; fried halloumi salad for lunch; and cod loin with something tonight.

Cabbage having been mentioned upthread I bought a small savoy - last night had half finely shredded and sauteed in butter and seasoning topped with crispy roast chicken thighs. Hadn't had cabbage for ages.

BBbevan Tue 28-Jul-20 19:14:48

I think we are going to be hot by Friday also. Very rare in SW Wales. Might have some sort of bbq and ask DD and SiL to supper.

Mamie Tue 28-Jul-20 17:47:56

We had barbecued sausages and salads tonight. Our butcher does fab pure pork sausages - we had three each tonight - espelette, fromage and curry (though they could have been hotter). We are now being told 39° by Friday. ? Too hot to barbecue I think. Yikes.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 28-Jul-20 16:53:19

Frozen stuffed peppers, what a great idea. I am picking up all sorts if hints on here. I can’t get on with edamame pasta - I have tried, so real pasta is a very occasional treat in our house.

It’s a wonder we don’t look like cabbage and courgettes Perhaps we do ?. I use walnuts a lot and they are nice added to cabbage dishes.

BBbevan Tue 28-Jul-20 16:45:28

Riverwalk yes I thought about a cucumber raita afterwards.
Spag Bol this evening with edamame spaghetti.

Riverwalk Tue 28-Jul-20 12:40:17

Weather here has been variable but supposed to be 32C by Friday!

Mamie's spicy sticks are great aren't they BB - I often have minted yoghurt as a 'sauce' with such dishes so handy if you've overdone the spices.

Today will be bits & bobs salad for lunch and I'll take out some frozen stuffed peppers/courgettes for tonight.

BBbevan Sun 26-Jul-20 19:21:38

Gosh I wish we had something resembling hot weather. It has rained all day. We had chicken breast with courgette and pepper sticks this evening. I did the vegetables as Mamie had suggested up thread. With turmeric, cayenne pepper and cumin. I think I made the mix a tad strong. Glad I had yogurt for pudding to sooth my throat. DH thought they were great though. But then he can eat a vindaloo without breaking sweat.

Mamie Sun 26-Jul-20 14:26:26

We are having a lull in the very hot weather, so last night we had spicy mackerel with tomato salad and cucumber raita and tonight is slow-roasted herby belly pork with cauliflower mash and spinach.
We even got an hour of rain yesterday so the weetabix brown grass is now sprouting weeds. Back to 27° tomorrow and 34° by the end of the week.