Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

New low-carb thread for post lockdown.

(137 Posts)
Mamie Tue 23-Jun-20 17:47:09

Hello everyone. Have been asked to start a new low-carb thread for those with a few pounds to lose, so here goes.
We have had a very bizarre dietary lockdown involving helping our neighbour to use up her unsold egg surplus (24 a week for two of us), finishing up unidentified leftovers from the freezer (it isn't ratatouille it's tagine), eating produce from the garden in season (10 kilos of broad beans anyone?) and creating menus from the somewhat limited and bizarre offerings of French click and collect shopping (I ordered duck breasts not paté).
We are more or less back to normal now, so please join us, tell us what you are eating and help people lose that surplus weight.

Riverwalk Tue 23-Jun-20 17:54:06

Thank you so much for starting the thread Mamie smile

I've gained 5lbs, mainly due to snacking which I don't normally do and eating pasta and lentil dishes more than usual.

As of yesterday I'm back on the wagon!

MiniMoon Tue 23-Jun-20 18:05:59

Today I decided that I really must try harder to lose the surplus pounds that I have somehow accumulated.
So I have had no carbs! I just ate the meat, carrots and cabbage at dinner time, and only made sufficient potatoes for DH.
I'm proud of myself, no snacks! There is a bar of chocolate on the kitchen table and I have managed to avoid it.
Will let you know how it goes.

seacliff Tue 23-Jun-20 18:12:48

I found low carb does work, but hard to stick to as a vegetarian.

growstuff Tue 23-Jun-20 18:17:51

Vegetables are just crunchy carbs, so I sympathise seacliff.

Rosalyn69 Tue 23-Jun-20 18:19:31

I lost a stone on a low carb diet during lock down. It was hard initially but I find it easy now. Concentrate on things you can eat and not things you can’t.

travelsafar Tue 23-Jun-20 18:24:12

Thankfully i have managed to maintain my weight. Most days i walk for 30mins or so. Lots of working in the gardening, all that bending and crouching down seems to help. Mind you i struggle to get up off my knees!!! smile One thing i have noticed which may have helped is i don't have lunch anymore. As i get up later and have breakfast later i am not hungry at lunchtime. A cup of tea and a couple of rich tea about 3pm sees me through to dinner time. We also have a 'proper' dinner one night followed by either a salad or a sandwich the next. We don't use enough energy to warrant a dinner every night.

seacliff Tue 23-Jun-20 18:24:20

The low carb vegetables are mainly, I believe, veg that grow above ground.

Mamie Tue 23-Jun-20 18:31:28

We definitely had more carbs to begin with as we needed to eke out the meat and fish that we had in stock. In the first few weeks there were shortages of milk, butter and cheese which is very strange as we are in Normandy and surrounded by cows. We have been trying to have lots of Vitamin D so eating plenty of tuna, smoked salmon / trout and the endless eggs.
Tonight we had a stir fry with leftover duck and courgettes and mustard greens from the garden. Lunch was a smoked trout and cream cheese paté with avocado.
I have put on about four pounds but that is mostly wine. ?

MawB Tue 23-Jun-20 18:33:47

Snacking has been my downfall too. My will power keeps me going until about 4.30 or 5 but from then on......sad
I’ve managed to lay off the wine though which is something but over lockdown it’s been 3 lb down, 3 lb on again and so on.

Chardy Tue 23-Jun-20 19:00:22

Sea cliff, have a look at the ketovegetarian hashtag on Instagram.

Yummy

seacliff Tue 23-Jun-20 19:37:19

Thanks for the tip Chardy, there are some good and different ideas. I never think of looking on Instagram.

BBbevan Tue 23-Jun-20 20:02:45

Hello everyone. Still maintaining my weight loss of 2015, with low carb eating. My GP says my diabetes has been resolved. Blood sugar has been in normal range since 2015. I use fasting ( 16:8 ) and apart from the odd treat, stick to low carb

Riverwalk Wed 24-Jun-20 06:42:27

I'm feeling keen and motivated this morning! Been up since 05.00 hmm

Breakfast was fried eggs, mushrooms & previously slow-roasted tomatoes, and coffee.

I make a big batch of the tomatoes and keep them in the fridge - they're very useful and tasty and can be added to many meals. In a roasting tin with halved tomatoes, facing upwards, dash of olive oil and balsamic, salt & pepper and a few sprigs of thyme, or dried thyme - about 2 hours at 150c.

I'm soon off out for a 90-minute walk before it gets too hot!

Furret Wed 24-Jun-20 07:10:25

Well done BB

My problem is I react badly to tomatoes and they are in so many tasty recipes. Can anyone share a favourite tomato-free recipe?

Even one recipe would be appreciated as it would add to my meagre stock. Thanks.

Alima Wed 24-Jun-20 07:42:02

I second what BBevan says. Since losing just over three stone since January on the fast800 diet with 16.8 thrown in I have found that by adopting the 4.3 way of eating to be a good way of maintaining the loss. Simply restraint/calorie counting during the week with a bit of a splurge over the weekend. Until it all goes t..s up again of course.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 24-Jun-20 08:05:49

There are many many low carb (Keto) diet recipes on Pinterest.

BBbevan Wed 24-Jun-20 09:32:03

Furret try the Diet Doctor. Loads of recipes on there.
We are having salmon with lime, chilli and ginger this evening.Plus a salad. Then I always have berries and Greek yoghurt for pudding.

grannysyb Wed 24-Jun-20 10:25:32

I can't do without my two slices of toast and marmalade every morning, but always have homemade soup for lunch even in hot weather. DH actually likes cottage cheese!We are both trying to lose weight, DH has managed 8 pounds and I've lost about 5. We try to have 2 days a week of only soup for lunch and dinner. We only eat potatoes once or twice a week, last night we had pasta, but only an ounce each.

Mamie Wed 24-Jun-20 10:26:44

I had berries and yoghurt for breakfast, lunch is a ham salad with a couple of pieces of fruit and dinner will be barbecued veal chops and Greek salad. Should be pretty low carb.
It is interesting what your doctor said about diabetes BBB. DH had pre-diabetes levels, went low-carb, lost 30kg, has kept weight off and results in normal range for over five years, but is still recorded as having diabetes by the doctor. I am not sure why. (Have tried asking but she just says "bah oui"....

Riverwalk Wed 24-Jun-20 11:04:02

Mamie Type 2 diabetes like high BP can often be controlled and managed by diet, weight loss & exercise but the underlying condition is still there, if you see what I mean. So your DH still has diabetes but no symptoms because of his lifestyle. I think that's what your doctor means!

Lunch will be smoked salmon salad, and I'm about to root around in the freezer for something for dinner.

Mamie Wed 24-Jun-20 11:42:48

Thanks Riverwalk that is helpful. (Much more so than bah oui ???).

Rosalyn69 Wed 24-Jun-20 11:43:09

My husband reversed his type 2 diabetes with the low carb method. Tom Kerridge has an excellent low carb cookbook with generous portions.

Riverwalk Thu 25-Jun-20 06:30:49

Thanks for mentioning Greek salad Mamie - I have some feta which is looking for a home.

Yesterday I had a ragu sauce from the freezer, made with dry-aged rib of beef instead of mince, and it was a challenge not to have it with pasta! I roasted a load of peppers, courgettes, red onion, aubergines etc. and had some of that - a novel combination. Today I'll have some of the same mix with roast chicken.

I'm about to have breakfast of a large omelette aux fines herbes! sunshine

loopyloo Thu 25-Jun-20 09:07:37

Must get out my spiralyser.......