Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Best exercise bras for the well endowed ...

(36 Posts)
BlueRuby Wed 22-Jul-20 10:54:18

I am looking for recommendations for a very firm control exercise bra. Like a lot of older women I gave up vigorous exercise when I was about 15 (now 64) because puberty gave me a big bust and I hated - and was embarassed by - all the jiggly bits wobbling wildly about. Although I have always walked alot my weight has increased since cancer treatment in 2016 and now lockdown has kept the bathroom scales on an upward trajectory. As things ease up from lockdown and I am allowed out again I'd like to give Couch to 5K a go, but I would like to find a really good, very very firm exercise bra to hold in the wobbly bits. I tried a couple from Amazon but sent them back because they would only have been supportive if you were flat chested. So, fellow Gransnetters with jiggly wobbly bits to control during exercise - any recommendations?

Happygirl79 Wed 22-Jul-20 11:34:07

I bought my exercise bra from F and F Tesco
It is medium to high support and comfortable and wasn't expensive
I am generous in the bust department and it does the trick for me

Peardrop50 Wed 22-Jul-20 11:42:31

38FF here, understand your problem BlueRuby but have no answer. Will be watching and waiting in the hope that the rest of the 'Madonna with the big boobies' department will be along soon.
Meanwhile will check out the Tesco one Happygirl recommends.

tanith Wed 22-Jul-20 13:43:56

I am also in need of a large size I bought a couple of these and was very happy with them although the price has gone up since I bought them from m&s. Not very pretty but do support well.
www.marksandspencer.com/serious-sports-extra-high-impact-sports-bra-b-g/p/clp60376878?color=BLUEMIX#intid=prodColourId-60376879

DiscoGran Wed 22-Jul-20 15:36:11

The best brand sports bras I have had are Shock Absorbers. Available on Amazon. Alternatively M&S do some reasonable ones.

Shirleyw Wed 22-Jul-20 21:05:41

Shock absorbers are good, well, been many years since I bought that make but now I have m and s ones, for high impact....I'm very well endowed and I must say, when I used to do the c25k ( I'm a starter and a stopper at c25k lol) it held me in very well and I felt confident ....no black eyes???

Nannarose Wed 22-Jul-20 21:28:52

This is an excellent site for all bras:
www.amplebosom.com

Personally, I like Triumph.

Do measure very carefully, my mother was a "corsetiere" and taught me that good fitting was vital.

Hope it goes well.

Ohmother Thu 23-Jul-20 07:42:33

Another M&S buyer here. I’ve bought 3 from them. Love the front zip opening. Also another C25K starter n stopper Shirleyw

I had a nightmare in a sports shop trying on one you pull over your head. I got trapped in it and was fighting for breath but the assistants were too busy chatting with each other to here my ‘ HELP!”s. I got free but was an awful sweaty, red, mess. I ran out of that shop!

WeeMadArthur Thu 23-Jul-20 09:13:21

As an H cup who has recently started Couch25k I can recommend a Shockabsorber, it’s really good. They aren’t cheap but they really do stop things from moving about. I got mine from Debenhams

Fronkydonky Thu 23-Jul-20 09:19:06

A company named Boobydoo bra’s are extremely popular and go up to a cup size K. They’re quite new compared to shock absorber, however have been extremely well received by big busted women in UK.

krazykat Thu 23-Jul-20 09:20:26

Ohmother, for various reasons I always wear sports bras, I step into them and pull them up, much easier than trying to get them over my head

NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Jul-20 09:22:12

Prima Donna?
Here’s a review - don’t have one myself but Prima Donna is known for its support.

blog.plumslingerie.com/reviews/prima-donna-sports-bra-review-does-it-ban-the-bounce/

Other shops sell Prima Donna too of course!

Jane10 Thu 23-Jul-20 09:41:44

I'd just like a really comfortable bra. I'm find ones with underwriting very uncomfortable these days.

Itsmyfirstrodeo Thu 23-Jul-20 09:46:01

I would also agree with previous posters that shock absorber has very good support

GrandmaMia1 Thu 23-Jul-20 09:48:41

Bravissimo shock absorber. Brilliant. I’ve had one for years when I was running. I am a big girl and believe me they don’t move!!

midgey Thu 23-Jul-20 09:49:55

Jane10 I would say if your bra is uncomfortable it is because it probably doesn’t fit properly! Better underwriting required!

crazygranny Thu 23-Jul-20 10:09:57

Shock absorber bras are just brilliant (E cup myself)
Also, do keep going with the idea of couch to 5K. I started about a year ago puffing and wheezing along at first. Now I can comfortably run the distance - albeit at a very slow pace! Running 3 times a week has done so much for my general health (I am 70) and was a total godsend during lockdown.

brownhandbag Thu 23-Jul-20 10:14:52

Bravissimo inspire sports bra, I live in these and am 34 GG. Zero bounce and they still separate the girls so you don't end up with one monoboob!

rhki54 Thu 23-Jul-20 10:39:42

Boobydo (based in Ashbourne Derbyshire) are brilliant. Lots of advice about which bra is suitable for different activities and size guides to help you work out which is best for you. They stock an amazing range of sports bras for us ladies who need lots of support! There's a 15% discount on at the moment along with free returns. Bravissimo also stock a good range but Boobydo have far more. I ordered 3 last night.

MrsPigsear Thu 23-Jul-20 12:03:37

I have just started the coach to 5k and still looking for a comfortable bra, so at the moment I just wear two bras which actually works quite well.

Craftycat Thu 23-Jul-20 12:30:01

Bravissimo everytime. They are brilliant & will talk to you over the phone to advise you before you buy.
As Well endowered lady I use no other company. If you buy online they will happily send you a selection of styles to try. Really lovely firm

Seajaye Thu 23-Jul-20 13:07:59

I have a M&S sports bra and a shock absorber one but my favourite best fitting support sports bra which is easiest to put on came from Aldi's Crane sport range and only cost about £7.00. It has a clip mechanism at the back that hooks together to pull the two straps together to form a ' racer style' back which gives the balanced support. The cups include shaped support. Although I didn't think I would ever be a runner at aged 61, since I hated cross country running at school, I've just completed the couch to 5k course via the BBC app. Michael Johnson has a very calm and encouraging voice. And I hope I can keep up my fitness post lockdown.
Also do make sure you wear decent running shoes once you get past the 5 mins running stage rather than ordinary cross purpose trainers, ones with gel or foam built in the soles to avoid damaging your knees and shin bones are best, especially if you are running on hard surfaces. If you are running on unmade country footpaths get some gel trail running shoes as they will grip better. Normally you should buy one size bigger than your normal shoe size, as your toes need extra space. Good luck.

BlueRuby Thu 23-Jul-20 13:12:08

Thanks everybody! I will investigate all the above and get started on my Couch25K :-)

Peeteegee Thu 23-Jul-20 13:17:18

In the gym I wear an M&S sports bra that zips up the front which is quite good, but for my morning run I wear a swimsuit with the bra on top as these together help to anchor the girls and I don’t get as much bounce as when I wear the bra on its own.

stillaspringchicken Thu 23-Jul-20 13:39:02

Have a look online for the brand Sundried, Very supportive and comfortable in use if not the easiest of things to get out of. Cheaper on Amazon than directly from the manufacturers.