Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Walking shoes

(73 Posts)
Bicycle1 Tue 06-Oct-20 07:44:49

Hi there , can anyone recommend shoes for walking in 4/5 miles daily , I am prone to plantar fasciitis, very painful ?, many thanks

tanith Tue 06-Oct-20 07:46:23

Skechers are my go to walking shoes the most comfortable shoes I’ve owned I have 3 pairs and rotate them.

Iam64 Tue 06-Oct-20 07:59:23

Merrell are my go to walking trainers.
For the plantar fasciitis try two cheap washing up bowls, one with cold tap water, the other with the hottest water your tap gives. Alternate your feet between these two for 10 or 15 mins every night. Also, freeze a small plastic bottle, like the ones you can buy bottled water in. Roll your foot on this a few times a day

Grannynannywanny Tue 06-Oct-20 08:17:46

Bicycle1 I’ve suffered plantar fasciitis in the past and it’s a misery. I’m another Sketchers fan and find them super comfy from day 1.
I also find my Karrimor walking shoes very comfortable and supportive. Now summer is behind us I’ll be wearing them most days as they are water resistant. I can walk 5 pain free miles wearing them.
www.amazon.co.uk/Isla-Ladies-weathertite-Black-Pink/dp/B015COHFVA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=karrimor+walking+shoes+womens&sprefix=karrimor&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1601968119&sr=8-3

Lucca Tue 06-Oct-20 08:18:36

I’m guessing you use gel insole things ? Brother swears by them for his plantar fasciitis

silverlining48 Tue 06-Oct-20 08:18:57

Have had two bouts of fasciitis so know how painful it is.
I walk regularly and have had expensive boots but now buy Aldi which are comfortable and reasonably priced. I use an insole for extra support.
My podiatrist does not recommend sketchers especially for walking because they do not give enough support.

coastiepostie Tue 06-Oct-20 08:28:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cabbie21 Tue 06-Oct-20 08:57:09

I like Padders., though unlike Hotter, they don’t come in half sizes, but they do have some Wide styles which gives just a bit of extra room for orthotics.

shysal Tue 06-Oct-20 09:00:53

Another Skechers fan here, but I am disappointed that they make few waterproof styles. I am fed up with having wet shoes and socks after a walk on a damp day.

MollyM Tue 06-Oct-20 09:15:56

Skechers all the way. Try to get Shape-Ups if you can. I get mine from eBay. I feel as though I’m walking on a trampoline during my daily 5 mile walk.

Nannieannie51 Tue 06-Oct-20 09:24:59

I have Merrill walking shoes, boots and sandals. I find them really comfy and hard wearing. I have 3 dogs to walk and problem feet.
For everyday footwear I try to buy footwear with removable insoles so that I can change them for gel insoles which seems to work better for me.

sue01 Tue 06-Oct-20 09:32:29

I'm a huge Skechers fan as well. I have a Morton's Neuroma on my left foot - a reocurring benign mass of fibrous tissue - and the shoes cope brilliantly with that. They look good too ! In fact I ordered another pair last night online !

LyWa Tue 06-Oct-20 09:34:03

Another victim of plantar fasciitis here, the best treatment I had was acupuncture. I literally live in Hotter shoes - sandals, slippers, fashion boots, trainers, smart shoes, walking shoes and walking boots. I remove their inner and replace it with my orthotic and never have to worry about comfort again. I made a mistake and bought a pair of trainers I liked the look of in a high street store, but two weeks later they went to a charity shop, that was the only blister I’d had in ten years!

Whiff Tue 06-Oct-20 09:38:34

Another recommendation for Hotter. Since buying Hotter shoes and ankle boots can walk a long way and never have sore feet. Unfortunately only discovered them 6 years ago. Before that suffered with my feet.

lippyqueen Tue 06-Oct-20 09:43:41

Hi there I would like to buy some sketchers for walking in. Does anyone know if any of the styles are waterproof. Thanks

sandelf Tue 06-Oct-20 09:43:47

Another vote for Sketchers and Merrells. S don't last as long and are not as 'strong' as Merrells - more of a lightweight style. Merrells are generally not 'girly' but if that doesn't put you off they are very well thought out and long wearing.

Missfoodlove Tue 06-Oct-20 09:45:05

I would buy a proper light weight walking trainer.
Mine were £85 but are in their 4th year with plenty of life left in them!
The soles are non slip, the support is better than a trainer.
Regarding the PF mine was cured in 1 acupuncture treatment!!!
Best £40 ever spent.

Liz46 Tue 06-Oct-20 09:45:39

I used to be able to buy size 6 1/2 Hotter shoes and know that they would be great. Then they changed the fitting. I now buy Skechers in a larger size so that my insoles will fit into them. I have had plantar fasciitis and trouble with my Achilles tendon.

grannybuy Tue 06-Oct-20 09:45:40

My walking shoes are Ecco Biom. They are extremely comfortable, and not once have I had discomfort of any kind ie rubbing or pain.

jaylucy Tue 06-Oct-20 09:49:32

Skechers are so good!
You can also get insole specifically for plantar to fit into any other shoes.
My son had the same problem when he was working in retail and on his feet for several hours a day, plus having to wear safety boots with little or no foot support after being worn a few times.

jaylucy Tue 06-Oct-20 09:52:41

Buy a waterproofing spray and spray them before the first wearing . I do that with most of my shoes and sandals - they not only keep your feet dry but also keep the shoe/boot cleaner.
For sandals, it stops that footprint that appears inside after your feet have been sweating!

Sheilasue Tue 06-Oct-20 09:58:53

Good pair of trainers like sketchers or Nike I have both.
Or a good walking shoe from Cotten traders. Have had mine for years when h and I used to do country walks.
Very well priced and comfortable. Not that we get much snow in the SE but have come in useful when we have.

Kane4 Tue 06-Oct-20 10:16:00

My go to shoes, trainers and sandals are Fitflop. So comfortable and support in the right place. Not one blister and can wear new pair all day from day one ☺️

TwinLolly Tue 06-Oct-20 10:17:44

I use Keene walking sandals with a closed toe. Very comfortable and lightweight, and fine for water too. The soles are grippy too.

CR39 Tue 06-Oct-20 10:26:51

My daughter is also a Sketchers fan. I wear Clark’s UNstructured Black Leather. Absolute comfort! Lots of nurses wear them I have noticed! £69 and sadly, never in the sales. I had a fall once and ended up in A & E. The triage nurse very sternly asked what shoes I was wearing at the time and when I pointed to my shoes she said ‘well, that ok then!