Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Pilates

(7 Posts)
JONEStina Sun 23-May-21 15:12:59

Any ideas for an online beginners Pilates sessions please?

Grandmadinosaur Tue 25-May-21 15:09:46

I can recommend Jotuffrey.com
She has new free to watch videos every Wednesday and I like her style. Haven’t done them for a while but did them in the first lockdown. Even if you subscribe to her channel the price is very reasonable around £10 last year when I considered it.

jeanie99 Tue 01-Jun-21 07:59:07

I have said this before but
please consider the possible injury you can do to yourself where the instructor is not ensuring you are doing the exercise correctly.
I went to two classes Yoga and Pilates over two years ago and now have permanent nerve damage to my neck and face and back problems.
I was a person who had done gym work most of my adult life, windsurf and sail active not sedentary.
I only started classes because I had notice my balance wasn't good, had no problems doing any of the exercises so was not aware I was injuring myself.
Just something to consider.

MerylStreep Tue 01-Jun-21 08:28:45

jeanie99
I couldn’t agree more. I’m horrified that someone would consider doing Pilates on line.
I go to a class with 6 people attending. Our instructor is
monitoring most of the time.
The worst ‘class’ I attended was when a friend ( never done Pilates) asked me to attend a class with her at the local church hall.
I estimated that there must have been 60 people there. It was so big the ‘instructor’ was using a microphone ?
I told my friend, and several other people near us that this was dangerous and left.
I made my views known to the church.

Grandmadinosaur Tue 01-Jun-21 11:48:25

Of course you are correct merylstreep and jeanie99
As someone who has done Pilate classes at my gym I should have thought about this aspect for a beginner.

luckyrose62 Wed 02-Jun-21 19:03:36

Have a look on YouTube The girl with the Pilates mat
There are loads of different ones easy or hard she is really good Rachel Lawrence

foxie48 Wed 02-Jun-21 19:30:24

Totally agree with jeanie99 and merylstreep I'd strongly advise anyone new to pilates to go to an in person class and if the instructor isn't going round checking positions, then ditch it. I've done pilates for years and thoroughly recommend it but it took a good instructor to notice that I was using back muscles instead of core muscles in some exercises and potentially risking injury. I've been doing online pilates with my trainer during Covid but she knows me and my injuries so it's been safe but tomorrow I go to my first live class. i can't wait!