Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

No I really don't need a cycle helmet... or do I?

(102 Posts)
Mrskipling Fri 29-Apr-22 10:06:31

On the one hand, it's a bit health and safety gone mad. I've been cycling for half a century, on and off. Never had a helmet, don't need one now, and a peaked cap keeps the sun out of my eyes better.

On the other hand, I've been chatting to a couple of cyclists my age (60s) recently who are horrified I don't have one and recommend I should get one pronto. And "nobody thought seat belts were necessary until they became compulsory, but who would think of not wearing one now?".

Any thoughts?

Pepper59 Fri 29-Apr-22 15:24:15

I think they should be compulsory for adults and children ( like seatbelts). Why would you not want to protect your head?

karmalady Fri 29-Apr-22 15:24:37

so sorry monica, such a very sad thing to happen

Mrskipling Fri 29-Apr-22 15:33:21

monica I'm so sorry to hear that.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Apr-22 15:38:23

Katek exactly you fell over in your bedroom and so might I or down the stairs, one of my grandmas died through falling off a chair she was sitting on I own my own safety and accept that every time I get out of bed I am taking a chance with something

Laughterlines Fri 29-Apr-22 16:26:21

Before retirement I worked with students. We lost students every year to RTAs because they didn’t wear helmets, hi viz waistcoats or have lights on their bikes.

Coming off your bike at 10mph and sliding across a gravelly road, skin can be flayed off noses, chins, cheeks, arms and legs. An unprotected head hitting a granite kerb at 5mph could result in life changing injuries.

Although cyclists can see other road users in twilight, if cyclists are wearing black or denim and no hi viz (as lots do) or have no lights they can be invisible to other road users until it’s too late.

Better safe than sorry. Wear a helmet always and at least snap and crack wristbands or ankle bands and use lights for visibility to others.

Cycle safely there are lots of dangers on the road nowadays.

PollyDolly Fri 29-Apr-22 16:31:51

At the risk of appearing very rude........anyone who rides a bicycle without wearing a safety helmet is a complete idiot! I have also witnessed the devastating effects of a brain injury sustained because someone neglected to wear a helmet.

Katek Fri 29-Apr-22 16:37:22

It’s not just your safety BlueBelle, it’s also the risk to others if you cause or are involved in an incident. It’s like these idiots who head up the Scottish hills in a hoodie and trainers. Safety equipment is there for a reason

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 29-Apr-22 16:38:35

We cycle regularly....also mainly cycle paths, but do go on roads to get to them. We wouldn’t dream of not wearing a helmet.

Years ago, there were less cars, and roads/ paths were in better condition. People were more courteous generally. Now, on our local cycle paths, we have to give way to horse back riders!! and pedestrians. These pedestrians often have untethered dogs. These are the real problem for us. Have nearly come off the bike a few times, because a dog has just appeared from nowhere. The owners shout at us, but it’s a cycle path, we respond, as we go past.

The other bug bear is people plugged into music! All over the place. Can’t hear your bell ?.

No....I wouldn’t go without a helmet.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 29-Apr-22 16:39:40

PollyDolly

At the risk of appearing very rude........anyone who rides a bicycle without wearing a safety helmet is a complete idiot! I have also witnessed the devastating effects of a brain injury sustained because someone neglected to wear a helmet.

Yes...so have I, but could be too identifying to talk about it here.

mumofmadboys Fri 29-Apr-22 17:58:34

I imagine having cycling insurance is very rare.

welbeck Fri 29-Apr-22 18:02:32

i think most cycling clubs/campaign groups include it in their yearly fee.

karmalady Fri 29-Apr-22 18:05:51

yes I agree about cycle insurance, I take it out every year, helps with legal stuff if I am involved in anything eg cars sometimes come much too close dogs on extenting leads. It also provides me with third party insurance. Helmets and insurance should be compulsory for all cyclists

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 29-Apr-22 18:06:57

I agree.

geekesse Fri 29-Apr-22 18:34:35

Some years ago, my ex went over the bonnet of a car that pulled out of a side road across a cycle lane without looking. Helmet split in two, bike a write-off, ex walked away with nothing worse than a bit of a headache. His cycle insurance paid for a new bike and helmet, then reclaimed it from the driver’s insurance.

I cannot understand why anyone would consider regular cycling without a helmet and insurance.

Madgran77 Fri 29-Apr-22 18:50:59

Someone I know (cycling for 55 years and a cycle instructor after retirement} was knocked off his bike. Broke his shoulder, months of agony...BUT banged head on road very hard, little damage because of cycle helmet. Without it ...doesn't bear thinking about!!

Summerlove Fri 29-Apr-22 19:49:10

I’m blown away that people still choose not to wear helmets.

I must be in a very safety conscious area. No one I know would dare ride without one

M0nica Fri 29-Apr-22 19:52:40

I can only assume the OP hates her family and can imagine nothing more pleasurable than leaving them to deal with her death or even worse her lifetime disability.

Summerlove Fri 29-Apr-22 19:55:28

M0nica

I can only assume the OP hates her family and can imagine nothing more pleasurable than leaving them to deal with her death or even worse her lifetime disability.

I’m guessing it’s more of a “she knows best” situation.

MissAdventure Fri 29-Apr-22 20:02:33

Sometimes it takes hearing other people's real life experiences for a person to consider the gravity of having an accident.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 29-Apr-22 20:38:43

I wear a helmet when cycling but I don’t wear it walking downstairs where I have tripped more than I have ever done falling off my bike

CanadianGran Fri 29-Apr-22 20:50:58

I wear one, it is mandatory here. Very rarely do you see a person without a helmet.

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 29-Apr-22 21:18:02

So sorry to hear your story, MOnica. My lovely son in law sustained a serious injury on a bicycle. He has made a full recovery, but there was a time when I feared that my daughter might be a young widow, and my Grandchildren might grow up without their beloved father.
BlueBelle, we are all at risk on stairs and steps, but are probably not travelling at speed at the time, and are unlikely to bump into a car in the hall.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 29-Apr-22 22:18:16

Cycling insurance is not so rare, many people have it myself and Mr B included.

hollysteers Sat 30-Apr-22 02:07:58

The words “Think of your head like an eggshell with the yolk inside” stuck with me.
Your brain is the yolk and the eggshell your skull. We humans are fragile in many ways, so wearing a helmet isn’t too much to ask if thought of in this way.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 30-Apr-22 09:23:50

And some people do have ‘eggshell skulls’ but don’t know that until they break.