Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a Pear/Apple - Part 4. Yabadabadoo !

(856 Posts)
NanKate Mon 02-Jan-23 16:48:54

On 08 May 2018 I started this thread for those who wanted to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle. Many people have joined up and many pounds lost and a few gained.

We now have a small band of ‘regulars’ called Pears and Apples who have joined our ranks and they have brought new ideas and support. Many thanks girls what would I do without you all. I am so grateful you have stayed so loyal and been such good friends to us all.

Do join us the rules are simple.

Choose your own style of diet plan.

Check in regularly with a report of the highs and lows of the diet.

Have an occasional binge but get back on the wagon ASAP.
Pass on any useful diet tips.

So for example I started calorie counting with the NHS Diet Plan. I now eat what I like but make portion control my way of life.

You have nothing to lose, other than weight, on this thread.

Our mantra is - Eat Less for Life.

NanKate Fri 26-Apr-24 10:01:20

We all have setbacks Allsorts. I agree with whiff we all keep going on this thread even if we have breaks and our weight rises. It’s life. Just keep going you will get your Eating Less for Life mojo back. 👍

Whiff Fri 26-Apr-24 06:39:27

Allsorts you haven't given up and that's the main thing. Everyone here no matter how many sets backs we have we don't give it. Only wish I had done that decades ago. I don't think those height weight charts have changed since the 70's it's all BMI now. According to the BMI calculator I am still obese . Which I think should be overweight .

It's like shopping for clothes none of the shops have the same measurements for each size. Peacocks I can get away with size 14 tops but M&S it's 16. 16 for trousers in both shops .

But as long as I feel I look good and feel confident I wear what gives me the fit I like.

My brother over did things on Monday and was in lot of pain by Wednesday but rested yesterday and the pain has gone. He can swim and drive on 29th and seeing physio on 2nd. They should be happy with him .
Hope you have a good week Allsorts and everyone else.

Allsorts Fri 26-Apr-24 06:18:55

Hi everyone, I hit a bit complacent, I had lost 7lbs still another 8 or so to go, then I had an Easter egg and ate the lot, gave me my sweet tooth back, in just a few weeks put back on 4 lbs, I just have little staying powers but know many of you and trying again.
NanKate running round with grandchildren keeps you fit.
Whiff you do well keeping on the straight and narrow, you are very determined, your brother obviously the same.
Saw a recent picture of me with one of my grandsons, I was below his should height, I used to be known as tall, now I find I'm classed as on the short side. I still use the height I was fifty years ago to establish what I should weigh, when I go to what I think I am now I need to lose another stone,

Whiff Wed 24-Apr-24 06:20:31

NanKate glad you had a lovely time with your grandsons . My daughter and her boys where here the weekend . They have both grown again. The 6 year old comes to my shoulder and his 3 year old brother just above my waist. They are always taken for being older. Their dad is 6'5" . But they are a joy ..They had been to France for a week so full of things they did.

Shirley well done staying the same . BBQ and birthday cake a wonderful combination. Going to my daughter's on Sunday for my birthday tea. So imagine they would have made me a cake. My birthday isn't until Tuesday and I become a pensioner.

In Merseyside once you reach 60 men and women get a free bus / local rail pass. I was 61 when I moved here saved me a lot of money having it . Yesterday my new one arrived still can use buses and local trains here but now use it for buses in England and Wales not sure about Scotland. All ready for my holiday. Luckily the train strikes are 7,9 and 11th. I travel on the 6th back on 10th. My first holiday in 19 years really looking forward to it. Have some plans but it will depend on the weather for one thing. Going to my brother and sister in law I don't count as holiday as that's visiting family. Didn't realise the 6th was bank holiday when I booked my room in November. But it doesn't make a difference to my travel arrangements. As I need an assisted room going to the premier inn. They have ones for wheelchair users and ones for people like me. Plus very few private hotels cater for the disabled and charged extra if you are on your own . Why I will never understand. At least with premier inn you are charged per room.and always get a king size bed. Having the meal deal breakfast and 2 course dinner works out cheaper.

Put on the three quarters of a pound I lost last week. But when I weigh myself yesterday had lost it . But I only take Sundays weigh in.

Sit fit was fun as usual next week we have to take a tea towel. No idea what we are doing with it . Then no class for 2 weeks as our instructor is going on holiday for a week 13th. So will make sure I put more welly into my exercises at home. Mind you thought I would put on Irish folk songs to do my exercises. When I started marching it was a very fast jig so changed the music back to Abba.

Have a good week everyone. 😊

Shirleyw Tue 23-Apr-24 04:49:13

Morning all, stayed the same this week I’m pleased to say and that’s after a well fed bbq and birthday cake at my daughter’s at the weekend.

Hope your all doing well….wish the weather would warm up a bit more now.

NanKate Wed 17-Apr-24 07:10:18

Good to hear your positive cheery words Whiff.

I am recovering from having my two lovely grandsons 13 and 11 for 5 days of laughter, noise and activity. 👍

Whiff Wed 17-Apr-24 06:01:58

NanKate back to my normal self thank you. But taking it easy as I don't want to do anything stupid before my holiday. At least I can back to my normal routine this week. Sit fit and craft group. And can get back to doing my exercises at home . Still did my wake up morning routine but to tired to do anymore. I thought Monday I would be aching after my class but I was fine. So I must be getting fitter.
Hope you are well .

NanKate Tue 16-Apr-24 20:40:27

Just popped in and sad to see that you have got shingles Whiff. So please you are now feeling somewhat better.

Be kind to yourself especially where food is concerned. You need some TLC. 💐🌷💐

Whiff Tue 16-Apr-24 09:31:25

MayBee the anti virals worked and it didn't get any worse and can't say I had any pain and didn't scratch. But already on tablets for nerve pain and other pain killers. The worst was the 6 day headache and tiredness. But fighting fit again.

Shirley that's a good loss. I lose three quarters of a pound but it's a loss so look on it as a win.

Was back at my sit fit class yesterday it was circuit training couple of new exercises but it was fun . Back to craft group this week . Really missed both things last week. Been doing my morning wake up exercises since she gave them us. But didn't do any exercises other than those last week so back to doing them when I am home.

My gardens need weeding but they will have to wait until after my holiday as I don't want to do my back in or injure myself. Waited 19 years for a holiday so taking things easy so as to be fit and well for it.

Take care everyone. 🤸

Shirleyw Tue 16-Apr-24 03:43:35

Morning all…..lost 2lbs 😀

Hope you’re feeling better whiff , shingles isn’t a nice thing to have.

MayBee70 Mon 08-Apr-24 12:16:44

It’s so important to get them asap though. You should have been given an appointment straight away. Even though they’re very expensive we always kept the aciclovir tablets at the surgery because we knew they had to be administered straight away.

Whiff Mon 08-Apr-24 11:51:46

MayBee at least I did get the anti virals after talking to my GP on the phone. And thankfully they have stopped it getting worse and few minutes ago noticed little part of the rash has disappeared so they must be working and that's the main thing. 🤗

MayBee70 Mon 08-Apr-24 08:08:13

I’m absolutely furious that you couldn’t get an appointment with your doctor when you had what was obvious symptoms of shingles.

Whiff Mon 08-Apr-24 06:03:11

MayBee my 6 day headache finally went yesterday. I very rarely get a headache so knew something wasn't right plus I was tired all the time. The rash appeared on left side of my chest Wednesday morning.By evening it had spread and was red with lumps . I have weird skin alone with everything else 🤣. I lack pigment so bits of my body which are supposed to be a different colour aren't but same colour as the rest of me. In more pain than usual.

Thursday I popped into my GP on the of chance some one could just look but no appointments so told to call 111. As I was going to my craft group phoned from the library. Had a call back hour later from paramedic who arranged for me to go too a prescribing pharmacy near to my home. The pharmacist was lovely and confirmed shingles but because of my HPX and never heard of it couldn't give me a prescription. Feeling very wobbly and ill . She arranged for my GP to phone me at home and called the taxi firm I use as not well enough for the bus. Had to ask her to tell them my usual requirement which is I need someone to put my legs into the car.

It was one of the usual drivers I must have looked bad as he got me from the door holding my arm and pulled onto my drive and offered to walk me to my front door.

I text my daughter and she said if I needed a tablets fetched to let her know. GP phoned and let me have the tablets 5 x 800mg for a week . He wanted me to start them that day.

He did make me laugh as he asked if I could be used as an example to other budding GP he teaches a class as if you don't know what is wrong with a patient don't dismiss them. It's because my HPX wasn't diagnosed until 2022 and I was born with it. Told him to use anything out of my medical history he wanted. I would hate anyone to go through what I did.

The leaflet with the tablets said what time to have the tablets so I could work my other tablets round them. My GP wanted me to start them that day so my daughter got them for me and had 2 on Thursday.

I have been on tablets for nerve pain since 1992 and other painkillers. So haven't suffered the pain others get plus getting help from the start I haven't been as bad as other people.
Also may have something to do with HPX as others who had Shingles and HPX their symptoms weren't as severe as other people.

Staying home all week. Not just because of the shingles but my daughter and family in France on holiday for a week and she would only worry about me more and I want her to have a rest as since before Christmas she's had one cold after another caught from the children and a nasty virus which they recovered from quickly but floored my daughter for over a week.

As you can tell I am feeling better back to my rambles. Want to get fit ready for my hols next month.

Hope you are keeping well and your dog not knocking your legs. Are you on the list for a knee replacement? Or haven't you got to that stage yet?

My brother is recovering well from them replacing his socket in his artificial hip. And because he lost so much weight ready for the op and swam everyday day his GP has taken him off his BP tablets and talking about reducing the amount of heart tablets he takes.

The consultant who did his op asked if he could be used as an example of a patient getting himself fit and losing weight before the operation. And how it speeds up recovery.

Anyway rambled enough . 😁. Take care everyone.

MayBee70 Sun 07-Apr-24 22:54:17

How are you Whiff? I am thinking of you…x

MayBee70 Sun 07-Apr-24 09:03:44

Oh no. Good to hear you got the anti virals so quickly.x

Whiff Sun 07-Apr-24 07:55:34

Just a quick one I have shingles but rash started Wednesday but got the anti virals on Thursday. Lost 2.25lb this week stuck to my cal allowance. Have a good week everyone.

MayBee70 Wed 03-Apr-24 19:43:57

My partners on Apixaban, too. He’s in charge of the dog on walks to prevent her running into my bad knees but somehow never manages to stop it. The worst times are when I’m walking ahead of them and she catches me unawares. It’s usually when my knee is ok. Each time it happens I think it brings me one step closer to needing a new knee sad

Whiff Wed 03-Apr-24 11:35:56

Shirley brilliant weight loss. You have more will power than me . I eat my Lindt bunny after my dinner it was 50g one but I didn't have any pud. Also it was low cal dinner.

I am trying very hard to lose 5-7 lbs before my holiday as it's my first one since 2005 and want to have some naughty treats.

MayBee glad your dog is better . Taken a long time to heal . So plenty of walkies for you both. Why is it people and animals always hit the bad part of your body. A woman at my older grandsons school trod on my left foot which is my worst side. There was plenty of room and my foot was out of the way but she still trod on it . Being on Apixaban I bruise easier so have a bruise on top of my foot. 🤬 It's easy to over eat when with family hope you enjoyed your Easter egg.

MayBee70 Tue 02-Apr-24 21:27:21

I’ve got the family here and ate far too much yesterday: there was some left over pizza and I ate the Easter egg the kids gave me. When they go home I’m going to have a healthy week. Took the dog for a walk today ( she’s only just back walking again) and she ran into my bad knee which is annoying. I’ll get the scales out on Friday.

Shirleyw Tue 02-Apr-24 21:12:50

Well done whiff, that’s great, I too lost 3lbs this week through weighing and calorie counting, re started with NHS weight loss app.
I’m pleased to say not one piece of chocolate passed my lips even though the rest of family had them.

Weather is still quite a bit of rain this week, when are we going to have the lovely Spring days?, I know it’s not particularly cold .

Whiff Sun 31-Mar-24 09:33:56

Happy Easter to you all 🐣🐰. Lost 1.25lbs this week so pleased about that. Have a lovely day all of you.

Whiff Sat 30-Mar-24 06:01:39

grannyactivist that's great. I don't have anything bread like in as they are my downfall. Not had any hot cross buns this year as I can't stop a one 🤦.

I am dieing to get my seeds started but it's been so wet so haven't been able to set the staging in my greenhouse house yet. Got all my seeds before Christmas. Will be ordering more compost this week . The ground is so wet weeding is to messy and heavy for me at the moment as I will remove lot of wet soil with the weeds.

My window cleaner came yesterday morning. Beautiful and sunny within a hour of him going we had hail. And it was sunny ,rain and hail rest of the day.🤬

Any excess veg plants my daughter has some and my craft group snap them up. My dad could plant a whole packed of seeds and everyone would grow unfortunately bit hit and miss with me. 😁

grannyactivist Fri 29-Mar-24 22:45:38

Hi Whiff - I’m eating a balanced diet with lots of home grown vegetables and enough protein, just really cutting down on carbs. I’m doing lots of exercise too, which is making a difference.

Whiff Fri 29-Mar-24 05:24:49

grannyactivist well done wth the brill weight loss. I do hope you are eating more than soup and berries and cream ? Is that for one meal a day or 3 ? Also cream if it's low fat ok but if it's full fat then low fat or fat free (personally I don't like that ,) yogurt would be better. I know you have lost weight and that is a way working for you but you needed a balanced diet to make sure you get all the nutrients and calories your body needs daily. Also if you are exercising and only eating soup ,fruit and cream your body will start to use fat reserves that are needed for your organs to work properly.

Remember it's a marathon and not a sprint so the next month your weight loss may slow down but the main thing is to keep going and not given up. Bet you have lost inches as well as the weight.

Shirley staying the same shows you can maintain a weight while not the weight you want but proves to yourself you can stay the same is should boost your confidence. Well done.