Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Slim fast

(100 Posts)
Shinamae Thu 29-Jun-23 13:12:37

I’ve just bought six bottles of this going to take 2 to work a day because I do need to shift about stone.
Have any Gransnetters used this and what experience can they share with me please?

Jaxjacky Sat 01-Jul-23 14:08:36

I think the point is that as a short term tactic to lose weight relatively quickly for a specific event it may work. If you want to keep the weight off, unless you plane to use Slimfast forever, the weight will probably return unless you permanently change your diet.

Spinnaker Sat 01-Jul-23 14:15:05

I've had a revelation today with Slimfast. I've discovered that by adding a spoonful of coffee powder to the chocolate flavour you get the most delicious mocha drink ! I started last weekend and have so far lost six pounds. Yes, a lot is fluid but the feel good factor from the kick start is enough now to get me going properly. Keep on everyone who's trying flowers

Ps. I haven't starved myself either wink

Shinamae Sat 01-Jul-23 14:33:57

Shinamae

Well this might be a bit extreme, but on 3 work days. I have decided to have three slim fast shakes plus my 2 Actimel shots in the morning and water as well,those calories will be 764 and that will just be for three days otherwise I will be eating normally.. and they won’t be consecutive days.

Also, when I reach my goal weight I will do the slim fast one day a week…. To me, this is quite achievable….

FishandChips15 Sat 01-Jul-23 15:00:50

I have always understood cottage cheese to be low in calories. Would it be feasible to say have just this for one or two days a week in a sandwich or on its own and lose weight?

Hithere Sat 01-Jul-23 15:03:03

I hope it works!

pascal30 Sat 01-Jul-23 16:11:53

a friend of mine lost a significant amount of weight using slimfast (for her son's wedding) but because she wasn't vigilant in continuing her diet, she regained the weight very quickly and is now even more overweight.. don't think it will say off..

pascal30 Sat 01-Jul-23 16:15:56

stay off

Shinamae Sat 01-Jul-23 18:11:57

Hithere

I hope it works!

I will keep you posted. Obviously I will have to be quite vigilant about what I eat and I’m pretty sure I can be, but I will be honest when I report back. 😜

Shinamae Sat 01-Jul-23 18:13:47

FishandChips15

I have always understood cottage cheese to be low in calories. Would it be feasible to say have just this for one or two days a week in a sandwich or on its own and lose weight?

Sorry, I will not be indulging in that particular delicacy. 🤢
But I do appreciate the suggestion 🙃

Esmay Sun 02-Jul-23 00:45:16

Slimfast works for some people and they swear by it :
pre - Christmas , pre - important date and pre - holiday .

I've tried replacing one meal with it especially if I'm in a hurry to cook .

The one diet that really works for me is food combining .
It was devised in the 1930's by an overweight doctor .
I think that it's been repackaged through the years .
Basically , you don't eat carbohydrates with protein at the same meal .
I eat protein with a lot of salad /vegetables and no rice , pasta nor potatoes .
I eat fruit between meals .

The only meal that I don't food combine is breakfast when I'll eat eggs with toast and that really fills me up until lunchtime .

The hardest thing is disciplining myself to stop grazing during the evenings and TV watching .
After a couple of days the cravings stop .

Good luck with your diet and weight loss .

FishandChips15 Sun 02-Jul-23 07:36:57

Esmay - grazing in the evenings is my problem. It is mainly down to boredom and feeling lonely.

Esmay Sun 02-Jul-23 09:22:04

Hi FishandChips15 -
I think that I've always grazed and for years was so underweight - right up until age 32 and then , after illness and a failed thyroid the pounds started piling on .
Before then - people used to marvel at the enormous quantity of food that I consumed .
I don't think that I'm bored nor lonely .
There are times when I find some of my friends unbelievably thoughtless .
Last week , one of them gave me yet another lecture on getting a boyfriend and having sex ! She didn't see the tears coursing down my face as I walked away .
Frankly , it's the last thing on my mind !

After a day of almost constant STRESS dealing with my father and his crappy surgery - I know that I reward/console myself with treats in the form of crisps or chocolate !
Last night I ate fruit instead .
My father can be unbelievably difficult it's not old age - it's him .
It didn't matter when he looked after himself .
At the moment , he's refusing his breakfast , medication and bath in the mornings which really delays me .
Tomorrow he'll refuse to do his sputum test so I can't get it to the surgery in time .

So this week - I'm planning on seeing the new Indiana Jones film with a friend .
I try to focus on things that I look forward to .
It's not easy !

FarNorth Sun 02-Jul-23 09:41:14

Esmay that must be such a strain on you. The last thing you need is a new relationship.
Perhaps your friend thought it would be enjoyable for you to have a new partner but if she really did 'lecture' you she certainly is thoughtless.
Make time for friends who are more understanding and I hope you enjoy the film. smile

Quokka Sun 02-Jul-23 10:23:31

I used to take a Slimfast shake to work for lunch. Many reasons; quick, convenient, didn’t have time or inclination for the more usual alternative (sandwiches) but also they contained approximately 30% of my daily vitamins and minerals.

I didn’t need to lose weight. But if you did it seems a sensible way to do it.

Shinamae Sun 02-Jul-23 12:59:09

Had my two Actimel shots at 12. Going to work shortly. I will have a latte slim fast drink and a banana one between two and eight. Then when I come home I might have a small salad depending how I feel.
I know it’s probably not good to eat about 9 pm, but I have never been a breakfast eater and I can skip lunch. No problem so I’ve got no alternative really.

Primrose53 Sun 02-Jul-23 13:03:37

The Morrisons own brand slim shakes are just the same and very much cheaper. My friend buys them if she needs to lose weight quickly for a function or special event but puts it back on as soon as she starts eating properly.

Hithere Sun 02-Jul-23 13:50:57

Shina

What else are you planning to eat or drink apart from the actimel shots, shake, banana and the small salad?

Shinamae Sun 02-Jul-23 20:37:41

Primrose53

The Morrisons own brand slim shakes are just the same and very much cheaper. My friend buys them if she needs to lose weight quickly for a function or special event but puts it back on as soon as she starts eating properly.

Thanks for that, Primrose 💐

Shinamae Sun 02-Jul-23 20:41:09

Hithere

Shina

What else are you planning to eat or drink apart from the actimel shots, shake, banana and the small salad?

It’s not going to be a small salad now it’s going to be a prawn curry and rice and I will have a main meal like I say when I get home from work.
I work in a care home and the work is quite hard and I used to pick quite a lot at work so I’ve stopped that as well so that should make a difference. Anyway I lost a pound this week hoping next Sunday when I weigh it will be at least 2lbs.
I am going for a carvery Wednesday lunchtime….😋

Shinamae Sun 02-Jul-23 20:43:43

Shinamae

Hithere

Shina

It’s not going to be a small salad now it’s going to be a prawn curry and rice and I will have a main meal like I say when I get home from work.
I work in a care home and the work is quite hard and I used to pick quite a lot at work so I’ve stopped that as well so that should make a difference. Anyway I lost a pound this week hoping next Sunday when I weigh it will be at least 2lbs.
I am going for a carvery Wednesday lunchtime….😋

By the way, it wasn’t an actual banana, it was a banana shake..
These two..

MerylStreep Sun 02-Jul-23 20:57:03

Hithere

Starving yourself doesn't work and it is not healthy

You stop, add food items to routine diet and the weight comes back

Shinamae isn’t going to starve herself, have you read what days she is going to eat. Hardly starving 🤦🏼‍♀️

Whiff Mon 03-Jul-23 05:54:49

I remember using some sort of meal replacement drink in the 70/80's they did work but as a quick fix. To lose weight and keep it off you need to alter your mind set and remember losing weight is a marathon not a sprint. Slim fast and the like do not teach you good eating habits and I well remember how constipated I got all those years ago on those drinks. You can make cheaper and healthier meals cooking from scratch and you don't have to cook everyday.

And yes I do know what I am talking about . I have lost 7st by weighting and measuring everything I eat and drink and counting calories and kept it off. But been trying to lost the last stone and bit for 2 years but one day I will get there. I started my diet in 2017 if I only lost quarter of a pound a week I was happy. I stopped buying food I have no control over like ice cream, chocolate ,biscuits only cheese I buy is a 400g block of mature cheddar and cut it into 8 and freeze . Instead of the 5 different sorts I regular had in my fridge.

If you want help and support losing weight read the pears thread . We all have different ways to reach our goals but there are no quick fixers been there and done that for decades.

I was over 19st and size 32 now just over 12st and size 16. And no the skin does not tighten up as some celebs would have you believe. I am saggy and baggy but I don't care. Decades of being morbidly obese has stretched my skin. I am now 65 .

Ailidh Mon 03-Jul-23 06:06:40

I'm currently following on Facebook and Instagram a young fitness instructor called Sean Casey.

I don't like to put a link because he's a bit on the sweary side, I'm assuming to appeal to other young men.

He's engaging, has good recipes, and what I like best are his reminders that the only way to lose weight is to maintain a calorie deficit. He's not knocking any diet people choose (apart from the ones that charge vast amounts for some sometimes dodgy nutritional advice), just reminding his audience that whichever way we find best to structure it, calorie deficit is how they all work.

Between him and Paul Mckenna's virtual gastric band, I've lost 10lbs in 4 weeks. Lots to go but I definitely Would use Slim fast or similar in the future for, as others have said, a quick fix for a specific reason.

M0nica Mon 03-Jul-23 06:55:10

Shinamae Whenever you want to lose weight, and do it successfully, there will always be the Job's Comforters that tell you that isn't worth it and you will only put the weight back on again.

Yes, many people do put weight back on after a diet, but that is because they see a diet as a 'quickfix' and then go back to the eating pattern they had before, which put the weight on in the first place. And to be fair, many of the people who go on Slimfast and other special food/drink/powders to lose weight quickly are doing it just as a quickfix. and then return to their old eating pattern.

But, providing once you have lost the weight, you adjust your continuing eating pattern to keep it off, you should be fine.

I lost 2 stone 9 years ago, using the original 5:2 diet and have not put it back one, so Good Luck, I hope you lose the weight.

Ailidh Mon 03-Jul-23 07:33:57

Exactly, M0nica. It's not the going back to eating normal food that's the post-diet problem, it's the going back to OVEReating normal food.

Been there, got the T-shirt, in many sizes 🌸