Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Slim fast

(103 Posts)
Shinamae Thu 29-Jun-23 13:12:37

I’ve just bought six bottles of this going to take 2 to work a day because I do need to shift about stone.
Have any Gransnetters used this and what experience can they share with me please?

Shinamae Mon 03-Jul-23 08:50:59

M0nica

Shinamae Whenever you want to lose weight, and do it successfully, there will always be the Job's Comforters that tell you that isn't worth it and you will only put the weight back on again.

Yes, many people do put weight back on after a diet, but that is because they see a diet as a 'quickfix' and then go back to the eating pattern they had before, which put the weight on in the first place. And to be fair, many of the people who go on Slimfast and other special food/drink/powders to lose weight quickly are doing it just as a quickfix. and then return to their old eating pattern.

But, providing once you have lost the weight, you adjust your continuing eating pattern to keep it off, you should be fine.

I lost 2 stone 9 years ago, using the original 5:2 diet and have not put it back one, so Good Luck, I hope you lose the weight.

Thank you Monica 💐
I HAVE thought this through.By doing slim fast shakes three days at work I really think it is quite sustainable and then when I have lost the weight just do the slim fast one day a week…
Horses for courses, not one size fits all…🤓

ElaineI Mon 03-Jul-23 09:01:12

DD uses the supermarket version of the breakfast bars. Worked same as the slim fast which are a lot more expensive.

Shinamae Mon 03-Jul-23 09:31:30

Just for those who you are worrying I might starve 😁today is a normal eating day and I shall be having a baguette and some St Agur cheese for lunch (I never do breakfast except for two actimel shots which I am about to have now)
For my main meal later on, I will be having a salad which consists of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onion, hard-boiled egg, and some vintage cheddar cheese, along with two slices of wholemeal bread and butter.
I have no intention of giving up cheese or anything I really like to be honest… time will tell…

Shinamae Mon 03-Jul-23 09:34:09

Shinamae

Just for those who you are worrying I might starve 😁today is a normal eating day and I shall be having a baguette and some St Agur cheese for lunch (I never do breakfast except for two actimel shots which I am about to have now)
For my main meal later on, I will be having a salad which consists of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onion, hard-boiled egg, and some vintage cheddar cheese, along with two slices of wholemeal bread and butter.
I have no intention of giving up cheese or anything I really like to be honest… time will tell…

Luckily, Chocolate and biscuits have never been a problem for me. I am 70 and have just over a stone to lose.

Shinamae Tue 04-Jul-23 23:29:21

Had the salad again for tea tonight,another normal day eating and so is tomorrow. Thursday and Friday back to work so that will be two days back to back of slim fast and a small meal when I get home about 8:15..

Whiff Wed 05-Jul-23 07:01:49

Shinamae you don't need to give up cheese but by the amount you have on your salad did you weight it . Mature cheddar is 4 .1 cals per gram St Augur is even higher. You can still have your cheese fix but instead of relying on meal replacement drinks you could have a healthy diet and cheaper. You just need to plan . At least if you cooked and made your meal from scratch you aren't taking in lots of additives and preservatives which are in meal replacement drinks and ready meals.

Your salad was very protein heavy with high fat content in your cheese. If you had halved the amount of cheese more salad and you could have been a carbohydrate like cold pasta,rice,bulgar wheat or couscous. It would have given you a larger meal with less calories.

I know I will get flak but I have lost 7st by eating food I make myself. Because of my health problems . I make enough dinners to last 6 meals and enough soup made from red lentils and whatever veg I have in ..And always have porridge for breakfast as it keeps me full until lunchtime. My way of eating wouldn't suit lot of people but it's worked for me and I know exactly what I put into my meals. Plus it's cheaper.
If you want to lose weight and keep it off there are no quick fixes. But you have to alter your mind set. I still have treats but add them to my allowance.

I don't work but some on the pears thread do and have worked out a healthy eating plan from scratch .

But losing weight is a personal thing . But I had decades of yo yo dieting and being morbidly obese. But no more.

Shinamae Wed 05-Jul-23 09:07:18

Thanks for that information Whiff but for the time being, I am going to continue with my plan and will post on here to let people know how it’s actually going. It might fail it might work time will tell…🤓

Esmay Wed 05-Jul-23 10:22:26

Hi Shinamae ,
You've inspired me to lose some weight !
I've decided to replace one meal with a rich vegetable soup and /or fruit .

I've had a couple of days of cravings and headaches -but I think that I'm winning .

A friend bought me a box of Afghan cakes yesterday .
I didn't have the courage to tell him that I was dieting .
It would have been rude and in his eyes insulting .

Here's my new soup recipe :
Two red onions
Three courgettes
One bunch of celery
One Knorr vegetable stock cube

Chop the onion and fry in some olive oil until softened .
Chop the vegetables and toss into the onion mix .
Add one Knorr cube .
Plus enough hot water to cover .
Bring to the boil .
Simmer .
Liquidise.
Enjoy .

Courgettes are in season now !

I hope that your diet is going well .

Shinamae Wed 05-Jul-23 11:16:47

Esmay that’s great 😁 To be honest, I am such a lazy cook that I will use a tin of soup if necessary.🤷‍♀️
But your soup does sound delicious 😋
Another thing I really cannot be doing with weighing food and counting calories, like I said before it’s horses for courses and that method just is not for me..

HousePlantQueen Wed 05-Jul-23 11:40:23

Good luck and I hope it works for you, sounds like a sound plan to me. One hint; when having a cheese salad, fill your plate with salad stuff, plus chopped grapes, mango, and then grate the cheese over the top. The grapes and mango liven up the salad veg, and grated cheese goes a lot further than cubes.

Esmay Wed 05-Jul-23 11:40:30

Shinaemae - my next experiment is with lettuce soup .
I have a glut of lettuces .
I am a very lazy cook these days .

Keep you posted !

Llamedos13 Wed 05-Jul-23 13:01:29

Hi Shinamae, You got me thinking as I need to loose a few pounds and am also not in to counting calories etc. so I’ve been out and got myself some of the readymade slim fast drinks, must say they are very yummy and chocolaty. My plan is to replace one meal a day, either lunch or dinner depending if I’m hungry at lunch time or not. So far so good, I feel thinner already and it’s only day two😂( who am I kidding?)

Shinamae Wed 05-Jul-23 22:21:55

Right, it’s been a “normal” eating day today for me. I went to a local restaurant with my friend and had a lovely carvery. This morning I just had my two actimelshots.
I have just come in and had some raspberries fresh from the garden (not my garden, I hasten to add my friend gave them to me!) 😜
I have also had two latte coffee’s and some water (not enough, I know) but that’s it for today.
Work tomorrow and Friday two till six, so I will be on my shots two or three shakes depends how I feel. If it’s three I won’t have a meal when I get home if I only have two slim fast shakes at work I will have a small salad or beans on toast when I get home.
I weigh once a week on a Sunday start naked in the kitchen so I am looking forward to this Sunday but a little bit trepidatious 😁

GrannySomerset Wed 05-Jul-23 22:45:24

Keep us posted, Shinamae, you are the inspiration I sorely needed. Will make a plan in time for next week’s shop and aim to find something which works for me despite my weakness for pastry and fresh bread.

Shinamae Thu 06-Jul-23 01:11:07

GrannySomerset

Keep us posted, Shinamae, you are the inspiration I sorely needed. Will make a plan in time for next week’s shop and aim to find something which works for me despite my weakness for pastry and fresh bread.

👍🏻thank you
Definitely check back Sunday morning, it will all be revealed whether this is working or not as it will be a full week…
But I do know that losing weight is not an exact science so if I don’t lose much this week I will still keep on with this plan…

Shinamae Fri 07-Jul-23 09:39:11

This is what I will have today between now and 8 o’clock this evening when I come home from work when I will have a salad or beans on toast.
This is the second day of this back to back because I have work two days together. Tomorrow will be a normal day and then Sunday will be this again and Sunday is when I weigh…🤓

Esmay Fri 07-Jul-23 10:12:46

Hi Shinanae ,
I was doing really well with mine until yesterday .
It made me realise just how stress and compensatory eating affects me .

My father was in a good and cooperative mood and I decided to go to the cinema after lunch .

I saw someone in the garden and on investigating found some really rough workmen replacing the fence .
Things had been moved by the neighbours , who had come into the garden without asking .
I politely asked these guys to make sure that no damage would
be done to my new shed .

Prior to going out - I found large concrete slabs up against it .
I'm hoping that the lower panel hasn't been damaged .
I managed to move it upsetting my back and my knee .
I sat in the cinema in real pain .

Two really large ones need to be moved and I shall complain about it and ask them today .
How my appetite increased - chocolate /crisps anything !

Hopefully , I'll get back on track today !

Shinamae Fri 07-Jul-23 10:21:01

Esmay

Hi Shinanae ,
I was doing really well with mine until yesterday .
It made me realise just how stress and compensatory eating affects me .

My father was in a good and cooperative mood and I decided to go to the cinema after lunch .

I saw someone in the garden and on investigating found some really rough workmen replacing the fence .
Things had been moved by the neighbours , who had come into the garden without asking .
I politely asked these guys to make sure that no damage would
be done to my new shed .

Prior to going out - I found large concrete slabs up against it .
I'm hoping that the lower panel hasn't been damaged .
I managed to move it upsetting my back and my knee .
I sat in the cinema in real pain .

Two really large ones need to be moved and I shall complain about it and ask them today .
How my appetite increased - chocolate /crisps anything !

Hopefully , I'll get back on track today !

Esmay, that’s awful, hope you’re not in too much pain today but don’t let a blip in your plan put you off 🤓
Yesterday at work they had my two favourite cakes home-made coffee cake and profiteroles and I was very good. Didn’t touch one because I know if I was to have one profiterole I would think that I’ve failed so I’ve been very very strict with myself.. and the thing is tomorrow. I know I can eat more or less what I like so today will not be a problem….
I apologise for the terrible punctuation, but it is not me. It’s my iPad it does it all the time and I cannot be bothered to go back and keep correcting it. 😂

Esmay Fri 07-Jul-23 10:57:42

Hi Shinamae - your punctuation looks fine to me .
I think that I've made progress in realising why I overeat :
Yesterday was so obvious .
I'm keeping a diet and mood diary !

Shinamae Sat 08-Jul-23 12:06:12

I feel a little vindication coming on….🤓

Whiff Sat 08-Jul-23 13:59:41

Shinamae yet another food story . Remember the glass of red wine a day was good for you,dark chocolate was also good for you,coffee was good for you ,red meat was bad for you then it was good for you .

What next cream cakes and ice cream diet is good for you.

All our funded by whatever industry what's to push it's product.

Fags are bad vape instead now vaping is bad for you.
Next week it will be something different.

Shinamae Sat 08-Jul-23 16:07:05

Whiff

Shinamae yet another food story . Remember the glass of red wine a day was good for you,dark chocolate was also good for you,coffee was good for you ,red meat was bad for you then it was good for you .

What next cream cakes and ice cream diet is good for you.

All our funded by whatever industry what's to push it's product.

Fags are bad vape instead now vaping is bad for you.
Next week it will be something different.

☹️

Mollygo Sat 08-Jul-23 18:35:26

Whiff
What next? cream cakes and ice cream diet is good for you.
DH would hate that diet. He doesn’t like either of those.

Shinamae Sun 09-Jul-23 09:34:36

With great trepidation, I stepped on the scales and have lost 2 1/4 pounds this week. I am pleased with this as I have been eating sensibly but not really restrictive. Yesterday I went to Marks & Spencer’s and had my weekly treat….😁
Anyway, my way of losing weight is obviously not going to be for everybody. The same as other people is losing weight journey is not gonna be right for me. Just wish everybody trying to lose weight some success…😁

FarNorth Sun 09-Jul-23 09:45:30

Congratulations Shinamae.