Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Increasing protein in my diet.

(72 Posts)
NanKate Sat 19-Aug-23 08:26:32

Just that. Any recommendations please?

Protein bars with reduced sugar content. Do you have a favourite ?

NanKate Mon 21-Aug-23 08:21:24

Can anyone tell me about chai please? It looks like sago which I loved as a child. Any simple recipes would be great.

foxie48 Mon 21-Aug-23 08:27:43

If you mean chia seeds, I just add a tablespoon to my breakfast, they are pretty tasteless, absorb liquids and develop a jelly like outer with a small seed inside. You could scatter them on salads or chuck them into pretty much anything I guess, have a look at this for some ideas.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/chia-seed-recipes

NanKate Mon 21-Aug-23 08:44:12

Thanks foxie48 I shall buy some today 👍

NanKate Mon 21-Aug-23 15:49:55

Just had my first Dr Karg’s crispbread really good, thanks for the suggestion. I broke it into small pieces which worked well.

Hetty58 Mon 21-Aug-23 16:15:38

Excess protein intake tends to be stored as fat (and it's hard on the kidneys) so why would it help in losing weight?

If it's hoped that a feeling of fullness or appetite suppression will result, surely, more fibre would be a safer option.

growstuff Mon 21-Aug-23 16:18:50

foxie48

If you mean chia seeds, I just add a tablespoon to my breakfast, they are pretty tasteless, absorb liquids and develop a jelly like outer with a small seed inside. You could scatter them on salads or chuck them into pretty much anything I guess, have a look at this for some ideas.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/chia-seed-recipes

That's what I do with chia. There are recipes where you can soak chia in water or milk and you end up with a gloopy consistency like sago. Personally, I loathe sago and tapioca, so I just chuck a teaspoon of chia on to salads and yoghurt before I eat them.

growstuff Mon 21-Aug-23 16:24:48

Hetty58

Excess protein intake tends to be stored as fat (and it's hard on the kidneys) so why would it help in losing weight?

If it's hoped that a feeling of fullness or appetite suppression will result, surely, more fibre would be a safer option.

All excess calories are stored as fat.

Hetty58 Mon 21-Aug-23 17:15:41

growstuff, not exactly, some is stored in the muscles and liver - as carbohydrates. Anything the body can't digest (including some fibre) isn't stored.

NanKate Mon 21-Aug-23 17:41:55

Hetty58 I agree I mustn’t have an excess of protein. Some years back I saw a health consultant who evaluated my food intake and said I needed to up my protein a little. I’m definitely cutting back on carbs and I can see my weight loss as my clothes are looser. I avoid weighing myself as it depresses me. I only have about 8 lbs to lose so not a huge amount.

growstuff Mon 21-Aug-23 17:57:12

Hetty58

growstuff, not exactly, some is stored in the muscles and liver - as carbohydrates. Anything the body can't digest (including some fibre) isn't stored.

I know fibre isn't stored because it can't be digested, but excess digestible calories are stored as fat.

growstuff Mon 21-Aug-23 18:00:51

NanKate

Hetty58 I agree I mustn’t have an excess of protein. Some years back I saw a health consultant who evaluated my food intake and said I needed to up my protein a little. I’m definitely cutting back on carbs and I can see my weight loss as my clothes are looser. I avoid weighing myself as it depresses me. I only have about 8 lbs to lose so not a huge amount.

I eat very few carbs (and have eaten this way for years). I get my calories mainly from protein and fat. I eat about double the amount of protein recommended (although nowhere near what bodybuilders eat) and my weight has been stable. My kidney and liver function are tested yearly.

I'm not sure why the OP thinks she needs to increase her protein.

Seajaye Wed 23-Aug-23 12:09:13

I add scoop good quality sugar free plant protein powder to my morning porridge to up protein content from. 4 g to 20 g, which gives me the extra protein conveniently without having to think about too many extra calories

You may have to try different brands as some do not taste great. Make surr it's not full of sugar or sweeteners.

Nannan2 Wed 23-Aug-23 12:15:52

Skinless chicken

GrannySquare Wed 23-Aug-23 12:26:02

Tinned sardines are good value & packed with healthy fats.
Pop a couple of tins - in spring water rather than oil - tomato sauce base for pasta/pizza. For polish, I put a jar of quality tuna drained on top to serve to avoid it being a fish mush.

Tinned sardines in tomato or olive oil on good toast for supper.

0% fat yoghurt is high in protein.
Have a stash of hard boiled eggs in fridge for snacks.
Chunk up a block of cheddar into thumb sized pieces as fridge snacks.
Nuts.

If I indulge in coffee shop snacks, I get a milky latte & small bag of plain nuts for protein & good fats.

GrannySquare Wed 23-Aug-23 12:26:43

…. & of course, good quality no added sugar peanut butter. I like Whole Earth.

Granbelle10 Wed 23-Aug-23 12:38:10

I suggest you incorporate protein in your meals rather than snacks - suggest eggs, nuts, beans, fish, small amounts of meat and cheese.

sunbar Wed 23-Aug-23 12:45:07

Fairlife Core Power Elite. 42 g protein. Not too sweet. You can find at Amazon. Hopefully available to UK

cc Wed 23-Aug-23 13:05:23

I don't think protein bars are the way to go either, so many of them are really sweet and they aren't filling though they're often very calorific.
We have porridge made with skimmed milk some days, eggs in some form for breakfast every day and snack on roasted (unsalted) nuts of various kinds. Our other meals are pretty normal protein and two veg types.
We also like lentils prepared in various ways, some spicy, some just savoury, which can be eaten as an addition to a main meal. You can get them ready to eat in store cupboard sachets or cook yourself a batch every few days, flavouring to suit the meal you're having.
I also agree with other posters that tinned fish is a really good way to add protein. Sardines in various forms are lovely for a snacky lunch and tuna in spring water is good in sauce with pasta or with a jacket potato.
We also like risotto and find that smoked mackerel is good in this, added near the end so it doesn't disintegrate to much.

cc Wed 23-Aug-23 13:06:53

Sorry, "too much" - I can't bear typos!

Juicylucy Wed 23-Aug-23 13:28:20

Protein bars are a manufactures dream, however the rubbish in them is nasty and bad for your gut. Steer clear.

Babamaman Wed 23-Aug-23 14:16:58

My nephew is on a high protein diet:
No protein bars - they ave too much sugar :
Breakfast is usually : eggs, fish (kedgeree type thing)
Smoked salmon, advocado
Falafel, hummus
Lunch: chicken, pulses, Mediterranean type veg
Dinner: fish: mackerel, salmon alternate the lunch chicken with fish
Drink lots of water
Doesn’t eat potato or pasta !
Good luck, it is a lifestyle change

ShewhomustbeEbayed Wed 23-Aug-23 14:26:38

theconversation.com/five-ways-to-increase-protein-intake-as-we-age-147511#:~:text=However%2C%20protein%20is%20extremely%20important,protein%20as%20we%20get%20older.

Yes, we need more protein as we age, not less.

Babamaman Wed 23-Aug-23 14:27:58

Why has petrol got so very expensive again????
Really rip off Britain

Cornishgreenhouse Wed 23-Aug-23 14:46:35

Just check how much protein you really need. Excessive protein, especially from animal sources can put a strain on kidneys. Have you been told to increase your protein levels…. Only saying because I found out by accident that my kidney function was low, no symptoms at all, which is quite common apparently. I was then advised to watch especially the amount of protein I ate - especially from animal and dairy sources. The dietician told me it’s a fallacy that you need lots of extra protein to keep healthy.

Caleo Wed 23-Aug-23 15:38:12

Is whole milk still judged to be a complete food except for its lack of iron?