Gransnet forums

Education

Open University

(82 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Wed 05-Feb-14 16:45:25

I got a BA Hons with the OU finishing in 2003. It took me 7 years because I could only do one module a year usually 60 points but it took me an extra year because I was really interested in doing a course one year that was only 30 points and I had to do a corresponding 30 points to make up. I couldn't,t do more than one course a year as I was working full time whilst I was studying. I did find it very interesting and met a lot of people. I went to one summer school and opted often to attend study groups. It was fairly expensive I remember but nothing like the cost of attending university full time. I,d say give it a go maybe try a short course if you,re unsure. The standard of teaching I found very good.

HildaW Wed 05-Feb-14 12:30:13

Yes, the OU has kept its standards high and thankfully it's qualifications stand alongside other Universities, in fact there were ever increasing numbers of younger students taking courses when I was studying. Many younger people study more vocational courses alongside their full time careers. Stepson is near completing a computer (all gobbledegook to me) degree course he started in his early 30s. His employer has paid for a large proportion of the course.

I'd always recommend people our age (??) finding out about their local U3a. They do vary depending on area and personalities involved but many run fascinating courses.

Eloethan Wed 05-Feb-14 00:09:56

I did several modules in the 80's and thought the materials provided, lectures, summer schools and feedback were excellent. It wasn't cheap then but I think it's very pricey now.

annodomini Tue 04-Feb-14 20:27:22

I did three OU French courses in the '90s because I had long regretted not taking languages at University in my youth. Now my DS2 is doing the OU French course, having done Spanish in conjunction with a Business course at Uni. I also enjoyed a creative writing course a few years ago. Now I don't think I can afford any more OU courses. sad

mollie Tue 04-Feb-14 19:49:21

Congratulations HildaW. I did three courses in the mid-90s including one summer school and enjoyed every bit but had the opportunity to transfer my points to a full-time university course in 1997 and graduated with a history/eng lit degree in 2000. Pity about the funding but I suppose the OU's reputation stands it in good stead amongst all the other unis but it's taken it out of the scope of the pleasure/leisure student...

HildaW Tue 04-Feb-14 19:42:00

Finished my OU degree 5 years ago and had a great experience. Yes, its pricey - mainly because Gov funding was slowly withdrawn over the decades making all those lovely Summer Schools far too expensive to keep going. That being said it's 'proper' teaching and recognised throughout the world so I'd still be happy to recommend it. I loved every minute of my Humanities/English Lit degree.

mollie Tue 04-Feb-14 19:30:48

I quite fancy doing a course and have been browsing the OU site but I'm disappointed by the choice now and shocked by the fees! I did some OU courses in the mid-90s so I knew what used to be on offer but I guess the change reflects the current demand. Does anyone else study with the OU or an alternative?