Gransnet forums

Education

Singing

(39 Posts)
Anya Tue 30-Sep-14 16:17:57

Just realised there is no Hobbies and no Music thread on GN. Didn't think Cold Play etc. quite counted as Culture so opted for the Learning thread.

I've just come back from a taster session with Rock Choir and I'm buzzing. I don't sing very well but that didn't seem to matter and I sort of blended in somehow. I'm definately going again and wondered if any others on GN sing with this choir and if so, perhaps we'll meet up at one of the massed choir events?

Gagagran Thu 02-Oct-14 14:56:36

Sussex carol any good?

janerowena Thu 02-Oct-14 15:05:05

Yes!

We have to start next week, and our librarian is away so I am the lucky person charged with tracking down scores we don't already possess.

dustyangel Thu 02-Oct-14 15:42:04

In the UK I used to belong to a church folk group that sounds similar to rubysong's one. We weren't very folky just more of us and mostly younger than the actual church choir. Some people belonged to both.
It is one of the things I miss living in Portugal. Our choir mistress said that anyone could be taught to sing. In fact a couple of girl friends and I only joined because she had press ganged our husbands into joining to make up for one very good tenor who had moved away.

I did once get roped in to sing in Songs of Praise from the Algarve. We practised all day and sang in the evening. The musical director was fantastic and it was a lot of fun.

Treebee Thu 02-Oct-14 22:28:47

Hi Anya! Yes, I'm in Rock Choir too, currently learning Time After Time as sung by Cyndi Lauper.
I've been in choirs on and off throughout my life and am loving Rock Choir. Singing upbeat songs is so uplifting and the choreography is a bonus, as long as it's not too complicated!
Will you be going to the NEC next year?

Anya Thu 02-Oct-14 22:47:36

Try and keep me away Treebee! Are you learning Viva La Vida and Fall at Your Feet too. I've never sung 5/6 part harmony before and amazed at how easy our choir master makes it.
Wonderful to find another Rock Choir member smile

Treebee Fri 03-Oct-14 19:37:59

Yes, we learned Fall at Your Feet last term, I love that song! We've just learned Viva La Vida.
The way the songs are taught by ear suits me, and the harmonies sound so good.

Nelliemoser Fri 03-Oct-14 19:42:16

The Sussex carol is lovely gagagran but wait a few more months please.

Gagagran Fri 03-Oct-14 19:50:14

Nellie I was just trying to help Janerowena who asked for suggestions of Christmassy stuff with a place name as she has to organise the repertoire for her choir.

My own choir is already rehearsing lots of Christmas stuff as we have a concert on 10 December and we need as much time as we can manage to achieve a reasonable level of performance, so there's no way we could "wait a few more months"!grin

rubysong Fri 03-Oct-14 22:41:11

We don't one called 'Penzance Carrol' unfortunately it is not on YouTube but Sans Day (St. Day in Cornwall) is.

rubysong Fri 03-Oct-14 22:43:22

Sorry. We DO not don't and carol not carrol. (Blooming predictive tablet! )

Maniac Sat 04-Oct-14 20:58:44

Coming from a singing family I've been in choirs and love singing.
DD1 teaches choirs and voice groups and believes anyone can learn to sing.
My soprano voice became very croaky.Recently had a few singing lessons. Now in my 80s I've joined a local choir (Barley Rye Choir) and sing with the tenors -mostly folk songs e.g.John Barleycorn,Wild Mountain Thyme,Up from Somerset etc.. We perform at local events and next week will begin rehearsing carols.etc .
Newbies have to stand in the front row-daunting but it means one is supported by the stronger voices from behind.
Enjoy your singing!

Maniac Sat 04-Oct-14 21:30:52

janerowena
Re songs with place names in title -we sing Bodmin Carol,Dunster Carol,
Ferry to Glastonbury,Up from Somerset,Mingalay Boat song,Pill,Pill
(Pill is near Bristol)
I'll ask my DD1 for some more.

janerowena Sat 04-Oct-14 23:51:27

Thanks maniac and rubysong. You wouldn't think it was so hard!