Gransnet forums

Education

Home schooling

(156 Posts)
Elegran Sat 21-Feb-15 15:43:16

There is a lot of online help for home-schoolers. It is worth having a look and seeing just what is possible.

FarNorth Sat 21-Feb-15 15:04:08

Crafting maybe if it is explained to your DGC that s/he can stop going to school if they are willing to try and learn at home, they will be happy to do that?

The "social" aspects of education were not pleasant for my DCs and neither were some of the teachers' attitudes and behaviours, I learned later on.

I wish, now, that I had had the confidence to home-school them.

Crafting Sat 21-Feb-15 14:03:06

granny did you teach him yourself? Are you a teacher by profession? My GC may be home educated as can't cope with school but at the moment isn't willing to learn anything and is falling further and further behind all the time. DGC has difficulty in social skills as well wich makes things even harder. Was your son willing to learn at home? My DGC is so against school at the moment and can't seem to settle to learn anything. It is a real worry.

grannyactivist Sat 21-Feb-15 12:23:32

My youngest son was home educated in part - from the age of 11. He thrived and was able to get both a good academic education as well as becoming a very accomplished guitarist and potter. He gained an academic bursary to university and in his first year did so well that he was awarded a place on the Dean's List (a sort of Honour Roll that looks great on a CV). He has some good friendships and has a lovely girlfriend; he excels at his chosen sports of sailing and windsurfing and relaxes with cross-stitch, crocheting or knitting. (What can I say? He's in touch with is feminine side - and he also bakes a mean chocolate cake for which his girlfriend is very grateful.)
People often worry about the social activities that children educated at home 'miss out' on, but many home educators meet up to provide group experiences for their children. My son joined the Air Cadets and made friends there and he did a lot of outdoor activities in groups. For me the main benefit of educating my son out of school is that I was able to encourage his non-academic development alongside his more traditional academic achievements and adapt my 'teaching' to his particular learning style.
Schools can be wonderful places and suit a majority of children, but schooling is not the best way for everyone to achieve an education.

Mishap Sat 21-Feb-15 12:00:29

Look up the website for "Education Otherwise" and that should reassure you.

There are people on this site who are home educating their GC and I expect they will pop up with some ideas soon!

Properly done, home education can be an excellent option. Do not worry!

Bambi Sat 21-Feb-15 11:25:22

Do you have any experience of home schooling either through your own children or grandchildren? I don't, and would like to know other grandparents thoughts on the matter, as it is about to happen to two of my grandchildren. I have concerns, but wonder if I am just being 'old fashioned'.