Gransnet forums

Education

School

(50 Posts)
Iamgran81 Wed 17-Jun-15 13:32:52

My grand son 12 school uniform has stayed the same after a no vote to a new uniform why would the school try and change to a new uniform ?

Uniform is school jumper
School polo shirt
School trousers black
And plain black footwear

New uniform not happend
School blazer
School tie
White shirt
School trousers
School shoes no plimsolls trainers or ugg boots

Gran11 Thu 18-Jun-15 16:19:10

My grandchildren at high school have the jumper and polo shirt wound not dream of the school they attend changing uniform it's been the same uniform fora about 20 years

Ana Thu 18-Jun-15 16:52:20

Those plimsolls again...they get everywhere, don't they? grin

Iamgran81 Thu 18-Jun-15 17:04:41

?

Anya Thu 18-Jun-15 17:34:44

Long story Iamgran81 some of us GNetters seem to have a shoe fetish hmm

Anya Thu 18-Jun-15 17:35:46

But you need two feet on the end of legs 11 .... as in bingo?? wink

Iamgran81 Thu 18-Jun-15 18:09:44

Just seen plimsolls trend my grandson wearers them aswell so her grandsons school isn't the only one

Greyduster Thu 18-Jun-15 18:57:20

Last year, just before the new school year started, I was sitting on a bus behind two ladies one if whom was telling the other what a struggle it had been to buy her child's uniform for his move up to secondary school. From the gist of her conversation, they were not very well off and there were other children in the family. I felt sorry for her - the rate at which children grow out of clothes must cause a huge headache for some parents. I am all for an identifying uniform being worn, but blazers, shirts and ties are outmoded and an unnecessary expense. Children either cannot or will not tie a tie properly anyway (neither for that matter can a lot of adult males!), so what is the point of them?

Iamgran81 Thu 18-Jun-15 19:45:55

It's rediculous for parents who have to but posh uniform my daughter can get my grandsons uniforms for under £30 school jumper polo shits trousers and plimsolls or they sometimes wear there black trainers

Ana Thu 18-Jun-15 19:47:51

Yes...hmm

feetlebaum Thu 18-Jun-15 20:40:42

The Headmaster at the large co-educational comprehensive that subsumed my old Grammar school, told me that his first action on arriving at the school was to abolish uniform for the pupils... and ban the teachers from wearing jeans and teeshirts!

When I started at the school just after WWII, we all had the whole uniform, the ganze megillah, although all that was mandatory was the cap. With each year after that, first form would be required to wear a further item, until after five years all pupils wore full uniform - but for me it was never more than that wretched, much-loathed cap...

Ana Thu 18-Jun-15 20:46:37

If there's no uniform at all though, there's so much pressure on pupils to wear the latest tend, most expensive trainers etc. Very hard on families struggling to make ends meet as it is.

At least a basic uniform levels things out a bit.

FlicketyB Thu 18-Jun-15 20:49:34

My DC's primary school did not have a uniform, but it had a dress code; no t shirts with pictures or slogans, no jeans and no plimsolls (this was the 1970s). But due to parent pressure (not me) a uniform was introduced for those who wanted to wear it.

My children didn't because, as I said to the HM. As the children go through life they will need to understand that you need to dress appropriately for the job/occasion and I thought the best way to learn that was at school, where they were not constrained by a uniform but learnt that some items were acceptable wear at school and some weren't.

I think children in school uniform usually look scruffy, especially those at secondary, the reason is that as soon as you insist children wear a uniform they instantly start subverting it; the rolled up skirts the unbuttoned collar button and loose tie etc etc. I was a past master (mistress?) of the art. Carefully treading a line that could be guaranteed to leave my HM, angry but frustrated, because I knew just how far to go without, quite, breaking the rules.

Iamgran81 Thu 18-Jun-15 21:29:26

Blazers and tie uniforms look silly when kids break uniform rules etc jumpers and polo shirt uniforms don't unless bright coloured trainers are worn etc

Dangran Fri 19-Jun-15 10:32:27

We live in an odd country whose citizens seem to think that wearing uniform clothing (that of the 1920s in a lot of private schools) improves intellectual performance. Most of the rest of Europe and indeed the world attach no importance to clothing when planning their education systems. When I worked as a secondary teacher, I was concerned to devote each moment of the lesson to imparting knowledge rather than issuing orders about 'tucking your shirt in', an obsession of some of my colleagues which I never understood.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Jun-15 10:36:31

I think the new uniform (not adopted) in the original post sounds much better than the current one.

And make 'em tuck their shirts in. hmm wink

Greyduster Fri 19-Jun-15 11:54:44

I'm sure there are a lot of places in the world that adopt some sort of uniform for their school children. When we lived in Singapore in the sixties, our apartment overlooked a village school. Every morning, the children would assemble in the grounds to raise the flag and sing the national anthem, all wearing either grey shorts or skirt, white short sleeved shirt and a necker not unlike the ones that scouts wear in a different colour to denote (so I was told by my Chinese ahma) their different year groups. Simple, smart and practical.

Iamgran81 Fri 19-Jun-15 11:57:12

It just baffald me why some schools insist on ties and blazers they look awful

Ana Fri 19-Jun-15 12:04:02

I think you've made your point, Iamgran81 grin

Iamgran81 Fri 19-Jun-15 12:29:47

I know wink

Iamgran81 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:43:13

Why do some schools have tie and blazer though ??

Ana Fri 19-Jun-15 18:47:42

Back again, Iamgran81?

Worth another go, I suppose, if you're bored. Someone might bite...hmm

soontobe Fri 19-Jun-15 19:07:59

I thought it was who I thought it was.
It has the magic word, plimsolls! grin

Iamgran81 Fri 19-Jun-15 19:14:41

? What about plimsolls confused

soontobe Fri 19-Jun-15 19:22:12

Ha! grin
49 posts. Very good.