Gransnet forums

Education

Declining Student Resilience: A Serious Problem for Colleges

(31 Posts)
Gracesgran Tue 29-Sep-15 09:08:51

With family teaching in both FE and HE I didn't find this surprising but it is always a bit of a shock to see it in print.

Surely it is a parents job to prepare a child for adulthood. Why are we tipping these students out of the nest without the wherewithal to cope?

Anya Thu 01-Oct-15 08:44:45

You've never heard a parent blame something on an undiagnosed condition?

'Oh, he's hyperactive'

'He's must be somewhere in the autistic spectrum'

'He's so clumsy I think he's dyspraxic'

'He can't spell I think he's dyslexic'

Used to get this all the time when I was teaching. Still hear it from parents these days. In fact BES has just said as much in her post. Often it's phrased as a question 'he's so clumsy, do you think he's....'

I think you've misunderstood my post. I am talking about children who have not been professionally diagnosed just given a possible label by parents.

Anyway this is all getting away from the OP, even if an interesting diversion.

Anya Thu 01-Oct-15 08:46:36

Re your OP, I do wonder why parents are not doing enough to prepare children for the society they must live in.

Alea Thu 01-Oct-15 09:48:06

Someone may have said this already, but I think it is needy parents who are the problem, the "helicopter parents" who relive their youth by sitting on their student offspring's shoulder at Open Days, settling in, Freshers' Week, first week of lectures, forever descending on them at weekends, skyping them at every moment etc I remember somebody on GN who either said she did this or recommended leaving the laptop on for all-day continuous skyping because she missed her DC so much when he/she went off to college. grin
Let them grow up, teach them to be independent, NOT to need you (hard!).
Another anecdote I heard recently was about a Mum who cooks all the meals for her son and DIL and takes the food round for them to microwave " because DIL is pregnant" , not suffering from pre eclampsia or ill, just pregnant. And not just the odd casserole or cake, all their meals.

Of course I snivelled all the way home after we took each DD in turn to university, but they went off happy and ready for independence.

soontobe Thu 01-Oct-15 09:53:58

I agree about needy parents.
A thread in itself.
Start one Alea?

MargaretX Thu 01-Oct-15 15:09:20

I think they just don't get a chance. We had to go abroad and DS. had to get himself off to Uni . Friends took him in their car, treated him to pizza and left him.
I cried of course many miles away but after three months he was completely in control of his life and his finances. He knew that we could not come and help him so he coped! Its as simple as that.