Gransnet forums

Education

How do you score in a test aimed at 10-11 yr olds?

(109 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 16-Apr-16 10:58:38

www.sats2016.co.uk/think-youd-pass-your-sats-in-2016/

I had to giggle at the missing apostrophe in the link though.

jevive73 Sat 09-Jul-16 11:58:11

Yes, I am a teacher.

annodomini Sat 09-Jul-16 13:44:06

The reading test was what got parents and teachers up in arms. Of the three exams, that got the lowest 'pass' rate at 66%. The questions were, so I'm told, more difficult to understand than the actual passage which GS said he rather liked, though he didn't get to the end of the questions.

Nandalot Sat 09-Jul-16 14:45:57

Fortunately, I got a 100% but then I am a retired English teacher,..secondary school level. However, I agree that this seems excessive emphasis on the mechanics of the language. You do need a grasp of some grammar in order to understand correct usage and, as another poster pointed out, explanations of your errors, but some of the concepts tested here seem rather peripheral and are probably best consolidated through reading and writing. Enjoying using and exploring language is important too.

grannylyn65 Sat 09-Jul-16 15:47:50

Really badly!!

Bellanonna Sat 09-Jul-16 16:16:44

80%. Luckily I had come across "determiners" since starting to learn German recently, otherwise that would have stumped me. We did do quite a lot of grammar at school in the 40s/50s.
I didn't even look at the maths test. I have absolutely no interest in the subject.

Deedaa Sat 09-Jul-16 20:26:07

I see the Department of Education is disappointed in this year's results. I wonder if they realise that many of the children will have been like me and guessed a lot of the answers. The number of questions they actually knew the correct answers to would have been even less.

Jalima Sat 09-Jul-16 20:33:25

DGD (7) has just recited some of her maths games and sayings for me.
I got lost after the first few words

However, I did get a good mark for Maths in my exams.
confused

rascal Sun 10-Jul-16 00:03:42

I passed!!! grin