Gransnet forums

Education

What exactly is this woman's position in the government?

(113 Posts)
Anya Fri 22-Apr-16 16:03:21

Government guidance for 7 and 8 year olds:

"Pupils should be taught to:
Use the diagonal and horizontal strokes that are needed to join letters and understand which letters, when adjacent to one another, are best left unjoined
Increase the legibility, consistency and quality of their handwriting [for example, by ensuring that the down strokes of letters are parallel and equidistant; that lines of writing are spaced sufficiently so that ascenders and descenders of letters do not touch]

And she means that 'sincerily' [sic]

rosesarered Tue 26-Apr-16 13:23:46

Satire is under appreciated( especially on forums) , and Elegran I agree, it's a good way to prick anyones balloon!

annodomini Tue 26-Apr-16 13:24:04

Elegran, maybe it's because you're in Scotland you hadn't noticed that Nicky Morgan is a female! Or so it seems. I suspect that Scotland's worst export, Michael Gove, is still pulling her strings. I would so enjoy giving her a Y6 spelling test. grin

Elegran Tue 26-Apr-16 13:44:09

Could be, anno, or it could be that I have been ignoring politics and politicians for a couple of weeks. Best way to treat 'em, stops them thinking they are important.

The rest of my post still stands - a bit of ridicule has a lot of effect.

trisher Tue 26-Apr-16 16:28:04

I think most teachers have passed the point of entering into any serious debate with education secretaries and are generally now to be seen laughing hysterically at anything they say or do.

trisher Tue 26-Apr-16 16:29:53

Sorry that should of course be education ministers. (If she was a secretary she would have been given the push a long time ago.)

Jalima Tue 26-Apr-16 20:48:45

And she means that sincerily'

With the reference to he and him I began to think you were talking about Hughie Green: "and I mean that most sincerely folks'

Who could probably do a better job.

Jalima Tue 26-Apr-16 20:50:00

Excuse punctuation in above post blush

durhamjen Tue 26-Apr-16 21:01:37

Is there any reason why you cannot laugh at Nicky Morgan and sign the petition to stop year6 SATS?

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/122038/signatures/new

daphnedill Tue 26-Apr-16 21:21:41

Anybody would do a better job, Jalima. She's a puppet.

oldgoat Tue 26-Apr-16 21:39:12

We think Nicky Morgan is Gove's glove puppet, which explains the startled look on her face whenever she answers a question on education.

trisher Tue 26-Apr-16 21:44:51

Oh no ! I now have a sickening image in my head of where Gove's hand is! And I am starting to feel sorry for poor old Nicky...

Jalima Wed 27-Apr-16 17:01:29

trisher !!! grin

durhamjen Wed 27-Apr-16 19:38:38

On parliament TV there is a 2.5 hour grilling of Nicky Morgan by the education select committee. It took place this afternoon.
She was just talking absolute nonsense.
They showed her that the academies that were rated good or outstanding before they became academies have got worse. How can making all schools academies be an improvement, if the sponsored ones have not improved?

She was complaining that there were eight chapters in the white paper and the restructuring was only one chapter. The fact that it is the most important one seems to have passed her by.

Eloethan Wed 27-Apr-16 20:18:43

It seems from recent reports that this policy might be "tinkered with", presumably to placate those Conservative local authorities whose supporters are annoyed that their schools will be affected.

I don't think academisation is a good idea and I certainly don't think it would be a good idea to allow "discretion" to be allowed so that certain schools in certain authorities will not have to convert to academies.

durhamjen Wed 27-Apr-16 20:48:45

She said something like - and I cannot remember her exact words - the reason they want to hand over all the schools to academy chains is so that there will be a coherent policy for all schools.
The looks of disbelief on the faces of the committee members have to be seen.

trisher Fri 29-Apr-16 08:42:32

You couldn't make it up could you? An education minister who can't write or spell, hasn't got a clue about how schools work and can't understand a white paper. Even George Orwell didn't think of that one!

durhamjen Fri 29-Apr-16 10:30:41

She was asked why it wasn't a green paper to start with, so it could be discussed properly. She said that there wasn't time!
Then she said that they were going to do it by 2022 so that there was enough time.
Eh?

Who do you think is pulling her strings?

Anya Fri 29-Apr-16 10:39:31

Mister Geppetto?

Anya Mon 02-May-16 13:30:57

Latest news from SPAG-land: (example just put up on twitter from a child's homework)

Tick the correct word to complete the sentence below.

Shall we go to the cinema ........ the park today?

Tick one

or

and

but

[Child ticked ‘and’ and was wrong.]

Anya Mon 02-May-16 13:42:12

Dear Ms Morgan, I've discussed the above with all my grandchildren and the unaminous decision is that we would like to do both as they are not mutually exclusive.

It was fine this morning but rain and wind are apparently moving in from the west after lunch. Therefore, unless it is expressly forgiven by your department, could we (please Ms) be allowed to go to the park this morning AND the cinema this afternoon?

Elrel Mon 02-May-16 14:42:46

Anya - Oh yes!! A pleasant half hour spent strolling through the park after the cinema.
Pen licence - pity the child who has a bad day and has the coveted pen licence formally withdrawn. Sure it can happen - especially to those who have been granted them wholesale by 'a kindly teacher' then gets someone less kindly in charge. Lessons in stress and humiliation for all. What a load of gentleman's appendages.

Luckygirl Mon 02-May-16 14:53:26

Anya - very good! But the really sad thing is that children and schools are being judged on this crap!

We have a little gem of a rural primary school here - the parents are happy, the children are happy - it is beyond price. Oh...I know, dear Nicky, why don't you destroy it and amalgamate it in some MAT. Grrr!

Elrel Mon 02-May-16 15:05:48

I hope the answer to OP is 'precarious', they'd be hard put to find someone worse. Or would they?

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 15:09:20

[Child ticked ‘and’ and was wrong.] grin Cinema, park and then the pizza place please!

Ah, the pen licence - I don't think it is taken away once granted. I am still awaiting mine with bated breath but apparently my scrawl is illegible, Miss said.

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 15:10:27

Beginning to be thankful that none of mine are in English schools.
(sorry, don't mean to sound smug.)