Gransnet forums

Education

What exactly is this woman's position in the government?

(113 Posts)
Anya Fri 22-Apr-16 16:03:21

Government guidance for 7 and 8 year olds:

"Pupils should be taught to:
Use the diagonal and horizontal strokes that are needed to join letters and understand which letters, when adjacent to one another, are best left unjoined
Increase the legibility, consistency and quality of their handwriting [for example, by ensuring that the down strokes of letters are parallel and equidistant; that lines of writing are spaced sufficiently so that ascenders and descenders of letters do not touch]

And she means that 'sincerily' [sic]

durhamjen Wed 15-Jun-16 20:06:12

I always look on links as showing you are up-to-date with technology.
A good letter, tessa. Is she going to be in a job next week, do you think?

dramatictessa Wed 15-Jun-16 13:42:32

Apologies for the link, but this letter to Nicky Morgan from concerned parents is well worth reading letthekidsbekids.wordpress.com/2016/06/13/letter-to-nicky-morgan-following-response-to-38-degrees-petition/

dramatictessa Mon 13-Jun-16 12:26:58

According to be Nicky Morgan (in the article from dj), Amanda Spielman 'has extensive experience in the frontline of education'. I always assumed that the frontline of education was the classroom - obviously I've been completely wrong in my thinking and the frontline is in an office in Central London as this woman has never taught. Why does this government mistrust experts so much?

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 12:14:33

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36500257

Something else being slipped through while attention is being diverted elsewhere. The two most important people in education are going to be two women who have no experience of teaching and support academisation.

durhamjen Sat 28-May-16 00:25:36

Similar to Denmark, although the teachers earn more.
Denmark also spends more per pupil than almost every other country in the OECD. That could be why they get good results, with happier pupils than the UK.
As well as the emphasis on teaching rather than testing.

daphnedill Fri 27-May-16 16:09:49

I agree. Teachers in Finland aren't paid a fortune, but education is respected by all sectors of society. Teachers study for five years and the Finns don't put unqualified teachers in the classroom to save money. Interestingly, children dob't start school until they are seven and all secondary schools are comprehensive, with virtually no private schools - yet Finland still always comes near the top of the PISA tables.

durhamjen Fri 27-May-16 12:39:48

It's the respected bit that's important, daphne.
This government has never had any respect for teachers or the education system. If it had, they wouldn't be leaving in droves.

daphnedill Fri 27-May-16 09:55:25

The Finnish system has been written about quite extensively. There was a good article in the Guardian last year:

www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jun/17/highly-trained-respected-and-free-why-finlands-teachers-are-different?CMP=share_btn_fb

Sorry about the link for those who don't like them, but it would take too long to paraphrase it and I think the article is worth reading in full.

durhamjen Wed 25-May-16 17:10:07

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/128202

The government response to the petition asking for the minister for education to be a qualified teacher.
It took quite a while for them to manage five sentences in support.

Another 60,000 signatures to get them to discuss it in parliament.

Anya Fri 20-May-16 07:24:29

Thank you DJ

Interesting article, especially if you follow the blues link within it for more information. The fact that Finland is third behind such countries as Japan and Korea (N or S?) but has a relaxed approach is worth investigating further.

I have friends with children going through the education system in Hong Kong. It is horrendous - the hours these children have to put in and the whole ethos of the education system.

durhamjen Thu 19-May-16 21:33:31

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/19/michael-moore-where-to-invade-next-world-hope

whitewave Thu 19-May-16 19:23:16

Well I don't know how to do links. In today's Guardian.

Anya Thu 19-May-16 19:16:45

Oh the irony WW but do you have a link to that article grin

whitewave Thu 19-May-16 09:12:19

Interesting article by Owen Jones.

Apparently Finnish educational results are amongst the highest in the world. They have barely a single private school and no academic selection. Children start school at 7. School days are shorter, play is emphasised and there is practically n homework.
So to quality for all and emphasis on wellbeing of pupils produces outstanding results. Finnish teachers are held in high esteem. Finland has a more equal society where research has repeatedly shown the link between deprivation and poor academic performance.

durhamjen Sun 15-May-16 23:55:11

That's in both school and further/higher education.

durhamjen Sun 15-May-16 23:54:23

Answered my own question.
In 2000 there were 120; now there are fewer than 50.

durhamjen Sun 15-May-16 23:49:06

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/128202

a petition to ensure the education secretary is a qualified teacher with years of experience.
I wonder how many there are in the commons.

durhamjen Sun 15-May-16 22:50:53

I also like 'if you do lose your job, make sure they do not replace you with Boris.'
It doesn't bear thinking about.

trisher Sun 15-May-16 22:20:37

Resignation letter to Nicky-so true, so heartbreaking to think this woman is lost to education.
Like the red 'e' in sincerely!
piclinegirl.com/2016/05/14/sorry-nicky-im-out/

Penstemmon Thu 05-May-16 21:58:10

Pen licenses have to be managed sensitively. As a rewardfor achieving clear legible handwriting consistently it is not a bad award. However for children who have a genuine physical difficulty in fine motor control (e.g. dyspraxia) it can be tough to know you are trying hard but just can't do it! Hopefully most teachers will also reward genuine effort.
And jingle for some kids who are not highly able the pen licence might be the one area they shine so awarding it to children who might be intelligent but are not successful at handwriting is not fair form those other kids point of view.

Hopefully the good school points out that we all have different strengths and one is not necessarily more valuable than another...just different grin

Deedaa Thu 05-May-16 21:38:47

I seem to spend a lot of time telling GS1 not to worry too much - it's only school and nothing to do with real life. This may not be the result the government is hoping for.

durhamjen Thu 05-May-16 16:37:48

Exactly what I think daphne.
The canary says things so much better than me. Anyway, I don't want to be accused of plagiarism.
It would take me so much longer to type than to give a link. I really cannot say, clearly and succinctly, what I think of Cameron. I would be banned from GN.
And I gave up teaching an English curriculum years ago.

whitewave Thu 05-May-16 08:30:27

Blimey don't I even qualify for a hedge??? I feel insulted ?

daphnedill Thu 05-May-16 08:12:38

Interesting link, dj. No point in reinventing the wheel when somebody else has already written it.

I saw it yesterday on PMQs. Errrrmmm...so Cameron wants everybody to have someting better than an Eton education? How about starting with the funding?

ww, I know a very nice ditch. ;-(

whitewave Thu 05-May-16 08:00:17

anya did you get out of the wrong side of the bed? You sound a tad stressed ?