Gransnet forums

Education

Are you studying anything interesting?

(47 Posts)
laughinggran Fri 22-Apr-16 16:43:00

I'm recently retired and have just found Gransnet - what a marvellous place!
I am looking for various ways to spend my time now I'm not going to be working any more and I've decided I'd really like to learn something new. Can any of you inspire me with suggestions? Languages I'm not overly keen on - I speak French and basic German so not many but enough for me. What else would you/are you studying/learning? Thank you!

hicaz46 Wed 27-Apr-16 11:43:51

Join a local U3A they are all about learning through mutual help and support. You can learn languages, how to play a ukulele or recorder, how to play whist and bridge, how to play croquet or indoor curling and many, many other things . Look them up there is bound to be one near you.

lolarabbit Wed 27-Apr-16 11:44:42

I completed a course recently on Writing story books for children - not free but at a significantly reduced price using Groupon vouchers. Now I just need to get started on writing the book! Have also dabbled with a drawing course from Craftsy (lots if other craft options their too but again there is a smallish cost).
Big thumbs up for Futurelearn courses and other MOOCs (temporarily forgotten what that stands for) as you can just try things out to see if it interests you. I live in quite a remote location, so being able to access all these courses on line is a huge benefit although it does need a bit of self motivation, which I am sometimes rather lacking!

Craftycat Wed 27-Apr-16 11:49:59

Been learning Greek for a couple of years on & off. Lovely language. My Spanish & French is passable. I do a lot of craft classes which I really enjoy. I came late to painting & wish I had stared earlier.

EmilyHarburn Wed 27-Apr-16 11:50:31

I am learning Chines Brush Painting and Family History. Went to classes on how to buy and sell on Ebay which made me decide that it was not for me. Good Luck

Skweek1 Wed 27-Apr-16 12:03:20

Thanks for futurelearn advice, folks - will certainly look into this! I took an OU maths/computing degree when the kids were small, and would dearly love to do another in German/Spanish, but simply can't afford to do so. Currently doing courses in dowsing and herbalism with BSY, astrology diploma with Mayo school and various courses with magickaschool.com and have just enrolled with Stonebridge Colleges to do Clairvoyance. In spare time do gentle exercise, aqua aerobics and yoga, member of 2 choirs, have done some genealogy and am teaching myself computer software testing so I can test my son's games (he's studying Games Design). I would like to become a Webmaster and wouldn't mind studying book-keeping and proof-reading sometime. Not crafty enough to meet my own high standards, but DH does lace-making (making a tablecloth, not that we've got a table!). Local college only for kids (only classes open to mature adults are for basic literacy/numeracy/computer literacy and English for foreigners, none of which is for me!).Hope this gives you a few suggestions! How on earth did we ever find time to go to work?grin

hopeful1 Wed 27-Apr-16 12:05:38

I feel so lazy reading all the above. Still working and babysitting the GC as D works shifts but other than that not a lot! Im doing a mindfulness app if that counts!

Worthingpatchworkers Wed 27-Apr-16 12:21:56

Coming to the end of a level 3, City and Guilds in Textiles....patchwork and quilting....
Not sure what I will do next.....???

Sauron3010 Wed 27-Apr-16 13:12:12

Also doing OU. Nearly finished the second year of the history degree which I should have gone at 18. Hard work but satisfying. Found to my amazement that the fees were covered by a student loan.

Jane10 Wed 27-Apr-16 13:18:05

I'm enjoying learning to play Bridge with a U3A group. Well, I say learning! I'm so rubbish at it that I just have to laugh at myself. If nothing else its taught me that I'm completely uncompetitive -and its taught the others to try to avoid being my partner!

Bluecat Wed 27-Apr-16 13:36:45

I strongly recommend U3A. You can join as many or as few groups as you like - I belong to a philosophy and a history group, but I would like to go to the Shakespeare meetings if they didn't clash with my other commitments. The beauty of U3A is that everyone learns together and everyone can contribute. Each group has a convener, to manage the admin, but there is no teacher. Basically, everyone is a teacher and everyone is a student. In my history group, for instance, we concentrate on the Middle Ages and everyone chooses an area of interest to research. (Thank God for the Internet!) Then we report back to the group and there's a general discussion. It's very relaxed and enjoyable, with everyone's contribution being valued, and I've learned such lot.

Each U3A has different groups on offer, but there's always a wide range of subjects and, if you're interested in something which isn't already offered, you can always suggest it to the Group Co-ordinator. If there's enough interest - and groups can really be quite small - they'll help you to get going.

baNANAGran3 Wed 27-Apr-16 13:53:50

Bluecat I couldn't agree more and with a couple of others who recommended the U3A. We moved house and knew no one except family, now have a wide variety of interests by joining various groups and know lots of really nice people. Be careful though, or you end up having very little spare time! Just google U3A and you should find a local one, if not you could think about starting one!

NonnaAnnie Wed 27-Apr-16 14:22:03

I intend to learn to crochet, I can knit but I keep finding lovely crochet patterns.

notreallyagran Wed 27-Apr-16 14:44:04

I'm a great fan of MOOCs, too. I love being able to learn about all sorts of subjects without the effort of producing written work if I don't feel like it. Future Learn has free online courses on anything from Othello to the Higg's Boson. I've also used Coursera and edx for American poetry, world history, language revival, Greek mythology, historical fiction, etc. I'm pretty lazy, so I tend to stop if something gets at all boring or requires too much thinking, but I've made my way to the end of a surprising number of them.

JessM Wed 27-Apr-16 16:25:09

Cymraeg (Welsh) Moved to N Wales a couple of years ago and it's bilingual here. Born in S Wales so no excuse. Trouble is that if you try to use it you do get some random responses. e.g. today in Aldi bought some plants etc and thanked the assistant in Welsh. She responded.... I didn't understand. Apparently she was saying "the sheep ate all my plants". Context is helpful if you know what the context is... smile

NannaBanana Wed 27-Apr-16 19:15:42

Gastronomy with Coursera.

granjules Fri 29-Apr-16 13:21:22

Join a choir. You will learn to read music, get a real buzz from singing in concerts, travel to different places in the UK and maybe abroad and make new friends. You won't necessarily have to have a voice test; if you can sing in tune is all many choirs ask.
When choosing a choir, try to go to one of their concerts before committing yourself, to see if their repertoire suits you.
I've sung in choirs all my life and can really recommend singing!

mikedurant Sat 28-May-16 08:36:59

I love gardening, so just after I complete my graduation I started studying about seeds and all gardening things.

Maggers Fri 18-Nov-16 07:29:15

I'm 59 and I am halfway through a two year teaching diploma that will lead to qualified teacher status...

gettingonabit Fri 18-Nov-16 07:52:25

I'm doing OCN L3 in Employment Law, and a piano Teaching Diploma. Admiring maggers for going for teaching!

Thumbs up for a choir too.

Maggers Fri 18-Nov-16 08:08:07

gettingonabit I'm not going in to state schools! Together with a colleague I set up a school to train medical herbalists so we only get well behaved adults. I'm too old for a classroom of teenagers!

gettingonabit Fri 18-Nov-16 10:52:05

maggers I'm pleased to hear that! Sounds great.