Gransnet forums

Education

A levels results Day!

(33 Posts)
DaphneBroon Thu 18-Aug-16 09:05:10

A big day for teenagers all over the country!
It used to be a case of waiting outside school for those sealed envelopes, but I think most kids get their results on line now.
And DGC and proud grans out there with something to celebrate? Hope so!

rafichagran Mon 22-Aug-16 18:12:18

Congratulations to all who got good results, and sorry to the one's who did not get the grades they were expecting.

durhamjen Sun 21-Aug-16 22:39:06

Good, grannyactivist. Nothing like a good bit of online sleuthing.
Hope she did okay.

grannyactivist Sun 21-Aug-16 20:56:02

Thanks for PM's - I finally found my granddaughter's results, at least I think I did, although her name is quite common. smile

merlotgran Sun 21-Aug-16 12:49:01

Thanks, Lynnieg. He's thrilled that he got his first choice because his cousin is at Winchester and they are very close so they'll be able to meet up occasionally.

durhamjen Sun 21-Aug-16 00:26:27

Not at the school my granddaughter is working at, as they are only 11-16 year olds.

Lynnieg Thu 18-Aug-16 23:32:33

I work at Portsmouth University Merlotgran, your grandson will love it smile

grannyactivist Thu 18-Aug-16 23:20:59

Congratulations to all who are celebrating and commiserations to those who are not.

It's funny the way this thread has gravitated to talk of Manchester and Stockport as that's where my thoughts have been all day. I know that my granddaughter will have received her A level results there today, but as I'm estranged from her mum (my daughter) I don't know exactly which school she goes to, just that it's somewhere in the Stockport area (I think). I'm sure she will have done well, but I really would love to have confirmation. She gained the DofE Gold Award earlier this year and is a very hard working conscientious young woman.

I feel very sad today - even though it's been many years since I last saw her I still miss her.

Luckygirl Thu 18-Aug-16 22:02:32

Ruby - Aberystwyth is the ideal place to go to uni. Lovely setting; small/large enough not to feel too daunting; and a good academic reputation.

You will both adapt and have lots to tell each other when you do meet up.

Iam64 Thu 18-Aug-16 21:44:27

Congratulations to all those young people who worked so hard.

Sorry to hear your daughter had a bad time in Manc Luckygirl. Yes, it can happen anywhere. I wonder if stalking would be more effectively dealt with given the law now?

One of ours went to Salford and had a ball. She was well prepared but still shocked when during the first week someone tried to see her and her pals their baby. Your daughter sounds to have been in the same halls as mine durhamjen, gated with a resident caretaker. One of her friends in halls had lived in a very beautiful, peaceful town in the south west and was in a state of shock for some weeks till she got into the swing of Salford and Manchester. Great cities, both of them .

DaphneBroon Thu 18-Aug-16 21:42:28

He is probably relieved the waiting is over rubylady did he have the place guaranteed anyway or were today's results the deciding factor?
You will be moving on to a different life, both of you, but from what you have recently said he is ready for the next step and needs to spread his wings. Have no fear he will return to the nest, but you have to let him go willingly or, to continue the analogy, you will end up clipping his wings.

rubylady Thu 18-Aug-16 21:36:35

Thank you for my son's well wishers, I will pass them on to him. He is currently asleep on the chair, not had a drink even, not a drinker really. Probably shattered due to thinking about it all. Mixed feeling because it has only been us two for ten years so I am bound to be a little sad too that this is coming to an end, regardless of how much we both now need to move on with new starts. I'll miss our chats, midnight runs to Tesco, closeness, it wasn't all arguing. smile

Luckygirl We live close to Manchester but I do feel a bit worried if my son talks about going out in Manchester. Luckily it only came up once and then it got cancelled. Hopefully Aberystwyth is a little quieter. It must have been a terrible time for you all. flowers

Luckygirl Thu 18-Aug-16 20:35:36

Yes - I do understand that this sort of thing can happen anywhere; but as you can imagine mention of Manchester triggers it off in my mind - it went on unhindered for a very long time. I still berate myself for not ringing the police there and giving them a piece of my mind!!

durhamjen Thu 18-Aug-16 20:26:16

The school she's in has just had a brand new building, to open next term, with the old school being knocked down on the same site.
Can't remember the name of it.

annodomini Thu 18-Aug-16 19:43:08

Good to know your DGD is to be teaching in Stockport, DJ. I'm probably biased, but can confirm that we were always a good LEA when there were such things! I was a governor of two schools there.

durhamjen Thu 18-Aug-16 19:39:18

That happened to my granddaughter when she was in halls of residence in Salford. They made sure that nobody went out on their own while they were still living in halls. He couldn't get into the halls as they were gated with a resident caretaker.

durhamjen Thu 18-Aug-16 19:35:05

That's what I was thinking, daphne.
My eldest granddaughter took her degree at Salford, then did a PGCE while living in Manchester. She is moving again closer to Stockport where she has her first teaching post, but the south side of Manchester so she can enjoy the life without the long commute.
Sorry about your daughter, Lucky, but stalking can happen anywhere.

Luckygirl Thu 18-Aug-16 19:22:49

Yes - I do know that Manchester can be a great place for young people to be. My DD was just really unlucky that some mad pervert latched on to her. On the first occasion he sat by her on the bus and tried to feel her up. Then he used to look out for her and get on her bus. She had to let buses go by; or get off at the next stop. We used to tell her that she must make sure he did not know where she lived. She had no other way of getting about at that time and was in a right pickle. When he was eventually caught and detained, they let him out the next day because it was a first offence. How did that protect her? I was just a bit angry as you can imagine!

DaphneBroon Thu 18-Aug-16 19:14:20

Excellent news rubylady!!
Don't have mixed feelings about him going to uni, sit back and enjoy!! smile

daphnedill Thu 18-Aug-16 19:11:45

My daughter has lived in Manchester for five years and it's no worse than any city. She now lives in the city centre, so can walk to work and it's cheaper than London. I think it will be many years before she leaves for the quite life.

Sorry your daughter had a bad time, Luckygirl.

Greyduster Thu 18-Aug-16 18:43:12

My friend's daughter studied at Aberystwyth and really enjoyed it. She now has a PhD.

Luckygirl Thu 18-Aug-16 18:32:33

Aberystwyth is a lovely uni and a lovely place - I had an exhibition at the art gallery there and was so impressed with it all. Well done that boy!

rubylady Thu 18-Aug-16 18:29:22

Yes, Rubyson has got in at Aberystwyth, doing Robotics and AI (Artificial Intelligence). He went off this morning and I haven't seen him since, out with mates somewhere. My stomach is still settling down! I was taking him out for a meal but I'm too churney. 5 weeks tomorrow to him leaving then. Mixed feelings already. smile sad

Congratulations to all who have done well. wine

Luckygirl Thu 18-Aug-16 18:24:04

One of my DDs was at Manchester and to be honest it worried me sick. She was stalked by some pervert and the police were worse than useless. It was a parents' nightmare - so far away from her and so impotent - dreadful. She used to ring us most days to keep us up to speed on what was happening and to reassure us she was OK. We were all worried sick and she was very scared. She also had her car broken into several times! - so altogether not a great joy to us all! I was rather pleased when she moved away from there!

Sorry for the damper, but it was a very difficult time and is etched on my memory.

daphnedill Thu 18-Aug-16 17:32:44

My son has just done the opposite, DB. He didn't get the grades to do Economics at Manchester, so is going to do Politics at Leeds. My daughter was at Manchester and loved it.

DaphneBroon Thu 18-Aug-16 17:13:40

Sometimes the "second choice" turns out to be a blessing in disguise. DD 1 just missed getting into Nottingham to do Politics but got an offer to read Economics at Manchester. She loved it - the course, the life, the curries the people, and has stayed "north of Watford" ever since.