Gransnet forums

Education

Such a good course!

(33 Posts)
Elegran Mon 05-Sep-16 19:24:39

See you soon Badenkate!

Badenkate Mon 05-Sep-16 19:13:40

I've just joined the Forensic Psychology course Elegran - see you there!

Badenkate Mon 05-Sep-16 19:11:25

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It was great fun.

Elegran Mon 05-Sep-16 18:55:49

Your post triggered me to look for Identifying the Dead - the next run of it starts on November 7th. I have signed up.

Badenkate Mon 05-Sep-16 18:53:25

I did the 'Introduction' one as well Elegran - that was a Scottish university as well, wasn't it? The Forensic Psychology one sounds interesting, I'll have a look at it.

Elegran Mon 05-Sep-16 18:51:22

I did the "Introduction to Forensic Science" course. Over six weeks, we gradually heard more about the evidence in a murder case, from the blodstains and fingerprints to the trajectory of the bullets. It was based on a real case. That was excellent too, lots of factual stuff about the different types of forensic evidence and how it is detected and analysed, interspersed with interviews with the people involved and accounts of how the results of tests threw light on what had happened (and on the discrepancies in witness statements.

It does show up the mistakes in detective stories!

Nxt week I am signed up to start the "Forensic Psychology" course, on what people say and what they mean.
I am looking out for "Identifying the dead" too.

ninathenana Mon 05-Sep-16 18:35:05

Oh thanks. Will show this to H, it's definitely his"thing"

Badenkate Mon 05-Sep-16 18:30:09

Some time ago I did a forensic science course on Futurelearn called 'Identifying the dead'. It was put on by the University of Dundee and Val McDermid wrote a lot of the story. The idea was that a dog walker (of course!) found some bones and it followed week by week how the dead person could be identified, and cause of death found, and finally who was responsible for the death, all using forensic techniques which are taught at the university.
This course was so good that it has been short-listed for a Times Higher Education Award! www.dundee.ac.uk/news/2016/identifying-the-dead-shortlisted-for-times-higher-education-award.php
I really recommend it for any of you who enjoy reading books about crime and detection - and it does tend to involve a lot of cake cupcake