Gransnet forums

Education

LGBT history

(152 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 01-Nov-16 09:42:36

Corbyn has said his future government will add LGBT history to the school carriculum,

Yes ? No?

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 20:46:54

Daphne, if as you claim it's already happening in many schools why the need to add it to the school carriculum

daphnedill Sat 05-Nov-16 20:18:59

What's that got to do with LGBT in schools? Sorry, annie, I think we all know how much you disapprove of Corbyn, but not everything he says is wrong.

I suspect Corbyn will never get the chance to change the curriculum in schools, but it doesn't mean that what he would like isn't already happening.

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 19:18:08

A small ray of hope, the red labour and momentum candidate was not selected to stand for labour in the Kingston bi election

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 10:41:07

Some vote for a party, some vote for the leader of a party , I vote for a party and this is the first time I have a problem with voting. I think the person selected to stand for labour in the Kingston bi election will give me some hope or take hope away

durhamjen Sat 05-Nov-16 10:34:51

He said it at the Pink News Awards. What do you expect him to talk about?
Daphne says it's happening in many schools; that's not all schools.

Im68Now Sat 05-Nov-16 10:28:29

I've just been told that we vote for a party not a person, so it doesn't matter what he says, does it ?

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 10:17:23

Then the announcement at the pink news awards that if Corbyn becomes PM he will including it in the school carriculum was just more hot air said for applause

daphnedill Sat 05-Nov-16 09:58:05

It's already happening in many schools.

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 09:56:31

It isn't going to happen anyway, a really stupid idea

daphnedill Sat 05-Nov-16 09:50:34

Ana is right. It's 18, although a young person can choose to leave if he/she wants, and the local council has to provide a care plan and support until 21.

A person can consent to his/her own medical treatment at 16, but in law a person under 18 is till considered a minor for legal contracts.

www.netlawman.co.uk/ia/entering-contract-minor#Introduction%20-%20who%20is%20a%20minor?

The army is phasing out joining at 16, but between 16 and 18, a person needs parental permission to join.

A young person under 16 cannot consent to counselling or treatment for gender identification.

Parents can opt out of allowing their children to attend sex education lessons in school, but this is more problematic if LGBT education is embedded in the curriculum in a number of different areas.

I agree with you about Judi Blume, Iam64.

Iam64 Sat 05-Nov-16 09:08:58

Judi Blume and other writers helped children empathise with others whose lives may be different to their own. That's all those of us supporting information to help children understand more about LGBT people want.

durhamjen Fri 04-Nov-16 11:02:25

Not really to do with LGBT, but with children in care, there is a petition on 38 degrees to stop councils from getting out of their duty to protect children in their care.
It's going to be debated next Tuesday. The House of Lords can get it scrapped completely.
There are over 100,000 signatures already.

article39.org.uk/news/2016/10/15/peers-vow-to-vote-against-social-care-exemptions/

Anniebach Fri 04-Nov-16 10:22:30

They can choose to Ana , their local council have a duty to house them though , means nothing really, there are sixteen year olds sleeping in the streets in cities .

Classing them as children until eighteen is rather silly in my opinion

Ana Fri 04-Nov-16 10:14:16

I don't think they leave care at 16 these days, Annie, think it's 18.

Anniebach Fri 04-Nov-16 08:25:13

And Daphne, if LGBT were to be part of the school curriculum suddenly children who were confused would not need their parents to approve of counselling or any other treatment ?

And no, sixteen to eighteen is not a grey area, children leave care at sixteen , they can leave home at sixteen

daphnedill Thu 03-Nov-16 23:47:09

ab, We don't allow children to vote, but I agree that 16-18 is a grey area. Legally, they're still children until 18.

daphnedill Thu 03-Nov-16 23:45:16

I agree with you about gender identity issues. That's the point I was making. It's much more than being a tomboy and doesn't really have much to do with being gay. It's completely different. I once taught a girl, who identified as a boy. It was heartbreaking, because her parents were in complete denial and the child was very depressed about it all. The parents refused to authorise counselling or any other treatment.

Anniebach Thu 03-Nov-16 22:20:45

Good grief, do you mean in the infant classes?

hicaz46 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:10:06

Making children aware of the diversity of people in a safe environment like a school classroom can only be good. It doesn't have to be made into a major thing but surely children should know of examples of LGBT people throughout history and LGBT people today. And that not all families are a Mummy and a Daddy .

Anniebach Thu 03-Nov-16 11:53:52

Daphne, we allow children to marry, join the army , vote ?

Anniebach Thu 03-Nov-16 11:52:35

A child with gender identity iissues need expert help not a chat in a classroom

daphnedill Thu 03-Nov-16 10:07:57

@Hannah

If you ever met a child with gender identity issues, you'd know it's more than being a tomboy.

daphnedill Thu 03-Nov-16 10:06:22

@absent

Why should Jeremy Corbyn's comments only refer to primary school children? Young people are still children until they're 18.

Im68Now Thu 03-Nov-16 09:59:48

This is us. We can't see it.
1 Man--1 Woman = Children and so it goes on, Life is what we're here for, unless theirs some thing else

Anniebach Thu 03-Nov-16 09:21:38

This school is not a comp surely Zengran?