Gransnet forums

Education

School uniform

(55 Posts)
Antonia Wed 23-Nov-16 17:02:53

I recently visited the website of a school that I used to know well and was surprised (shocked!) to see that the pupils were wearing 'home' clothes. The school used to have such a lovely uniform. So what happened? My DH thinks that a lot of schools have abandoned uniforms now. I do remember being quite proud of wearing my uniform, although there were lots of rules which seem silly now, such as 'food should not be eaten in the street when wearing school uniform.' We were also forever being urged to behave well in public when wearing the uniform ( perhaps no-one cared how we behaved when not in uniform!), as the school would be judged on the public behaviour of its girls. The uniform was so strict too! One girl I remember had those 'Edna Average' type glasses with removable top wings. We wore a choice of four different coloured candy striped dresses in summer and this particular girl (hope she is not on Gransnet as I'm sure she will remember!) changed the colour of the wings to match the particular colour of the dress she was wearing that day. Such fun!!

rosesarered Wed 23-Nov-16 17:05:29

Yes, it was me! How dare you tell everybody.grin

rosesarered Wed 23-Nov-16 17:09:46

We wore blue and white candy striped dresses in Summer, made of some awful heavy material ( certainly not cotton) and it had to be well below the knee (this was in the swinging 60's, so you can imagine how stylish we all felt.) We also had to wear short white socks and clumpy shoes to complete the fuddy-duddy look, and a beret on our heads (ruining our back-combing.)Can you imagine 16-18 year olds wearing that now?

rosesarered Wed 23-Nov-16 17:10:50

Still, the boys from the neighbouring boys grammar school still fancied us.grin

Ana Wed 23-Nov-16 17:13:58

Wasn't it Dame Edna Everage, not Average?

I don't think schools are abandoning uniforms these days. They're perhaps not as strict as in our day (purple felt hats with the school badge on and purple blazers...shock) but most seem to have a dress code of sorts.

rosesarered Wed 23-Nov-16 17:19:35

Yes, its Everage.OMG purple felt hats! I got away lightly with a beret then.

tanith Wed 23-Nov-16 17:26:49

My Granddaughters High School has just introduced a more strict uniform of grey skirts/trousers white shirts, navy jumper, tie and blazer. They are very strict about the shoes they wear they have to be leather, black not patent or canvas. They all look very smart, of course sixth formers get to abandon uniform.

DaphneBroon Wed 23-Nov-16 17:31:35

I saw the thread title and thought ....."ere we go, ere we go, ere we go" but see I was wrong. grin

Ana Wed 23-Nov-16 17:32:14

Me too, Daphne! grin

DaphneBroon Wed 23-Nov-16 17:36:12

There is still time though Ana! grin

BlueBelle Wed 23-Nov-16 17:37:36

I thought it was the opposite all the schools in my area are uniformed not one primary or high without we have four high schools and numerous primaries

Antonia Wed 23-Nov-16 17:38:09

Yes, it's definitely Everage (this b....y autocorrect!) Rosesarered you are cracking me up!! I remember the name of the girl and somehow I just don't think it was you!

Thingmajig Wed 23-Nov-16 22:13:27

We've just found out that wee DGD will need a uniform for her nursery at the beginning on the year ... she will be 3. DD having much trouble finding stuff to fit as she is a wee skinny malinky. Can't help but wonder why the school (nursery is attached to the local private school) don't keep stock of small sizes. Not all 3 year old are built like tank after all!

I'm sure she'll look very smart, if somewhat drowned on her first day. grin

rosesarered Wed 23-Nov-16 22:24:35

Thingamajig are you in Scotland by any chance? what is a malinky? sounds scary.

rosesarered Wed 23-Nov-16 22:27:00

Oh alright Antonia It wasn't me ( didn't need specs until I was 45) but your school sounds much like mine.smile

Indinana Wed 23-Nov-16 22:50:16

We had a very strict uniform, available at only one store. The V-necked cardigans had a stripy button band made from the three school colours, which made it rather difficult to duplicate with a pair of knitting needles! One enterprising mother managed to do just that for her daughter, who was roundly ticked off in front of the whole school at assembly and told not to return to school without the correct uniform shock.
Straw hats in summer, felt ones for winter. each with the enamelled school badge pinned to the band. Regulation everything, even knickers! No-one I knew complied with that particular regulation, and I don't recall any nun asking a pupil to lift her skirt for inspection grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Nov-16 23:00:24

Non-compliance with knicker regulations, Indinana, how very slack! shock Weren't you caught out when you were getting changed for PE? Though perhaps you didn't have a mustachioed gorgon in a divided skirt and hockey boots prowling the changing room? Our knickers had to be navy blue, and yes, bought from one of two ruinously expensive outfitters. I don't know anyone who didn't comply!

My DD1 was (and still is) very dinky, Thingmajig, and I can remember having to order her an age 3 uniform from M & S when she started school, even though she was 5 a couple of weeks later. Happy memories!

Cherrytree59 Wed 23-Nov-16 23:17:50

* roses* yes a Scottish expression
According to my dad it went ...
'Skinny malinky long legs
Umbrella feet
Went to the dance
And couldn't get a seat,'

Skinny malinky.
Is a skinny person or child.
Its just like rhyming slang.

Yes all nursery and school uniform in our area
One primary has a lovely purple uniform with matching schoolbags

Daisyanswerdo Wed 23-Nov-16 23:18:41

Everage = Average in an Australian accent! Sorry if this was obvious to everyone. Clever name.

rosesarered Wed 23-Nov-16 23:23:53

Thanks cherry you are a mine of information smile we softy Southerners have no idea of the sayings 'beyond the Wall'.

ninathenana Wed 23-Nov-16 23:52:33

We didn't have to wear uniform at primary school but our secondary school colours were bottle green and gold. There was a delightful green gaberdene (sp) Mac and green beret, thank goodness they weren't compulsory.
Cherry one of our local primary schools wears purple blazers white shirts and striped ties, the girls wear purple tartan skirts. A bit OTT for 4-5 yr olds in my opinion.

Pippa000 Thu 24-Nov-16 06:40:30

One school I went to in the far east many years ago had a unique way of insuring we wore the uniform. The last term in the 'primary school' we had to make our school uniform for the 'senior' school in the sewing class. From measuring ourselves, to making the pattern, to actually cutting out and sewing it on old fashioned treadle machines, under the stern instructions of the nun in charge. One false stitch and it had to be redone.

Pippa000 Thu 24-Nov-16 06:41:31

that should have been 'ensuring', too buy sewing to learn how to spell!!

kittylester Thu 24-Nov-16 07:28:04

All the schools I know about have uniforms - I thought that there had been a bit of a u turn on that policy.

thatbags Thu 24-Nov-16 07:32:36

Did boys have to sew their own secondary school uniforms, pippa?