Gransnet forums

Education

Denied toilet break

(169 Posts)
lexisgran Fri 28-Apr-17 10:28:58

My Daughter was telling me the other night that my granddaughter, 6 after lunchtime at school asked to go to the toilet and the teacher said you should have gone at lunch. she asked again later on and said she was desperate but was still refused.
She was absolutely bursting when she came to meet my daughter having waited nearly 2 hours

she is unsure whether to have a word? or is it common?

Riverwalk Mon 08-May-17 16:06:11

Precisely, works for you - what about the children?

I'm all for discipline and minimizing class disruption but you seem to relish being an awkward arse towards your charges.

So glad you didn't teach my children/grandchildren.

vicwarren Mon 08-May-17 15:57:46

Can I just say that today 10 minutes before lunch a boy asked if he could visit the toilet and thinking back to the posts on this thread I said yes and to be quick. A colleague brought him back to class as he was running down the corridor with another child who had been let out from another class, so much for giving him the benefit of the doubt. I decided that i would return to my old policy of no toilet during class

A girl asked if she could nip to the loo as she came in from lunch, I explained that she should have gone at lunch and the answer was no. She did ask again later on and said she was really desperate,but i stuck to my guns and said no, she hung on until the end of the day

Sorry if people disagree with my views on the subject, but not letting them out of class is what seems to work for me

Elrel Sat 06-May-17 01:55:23

It's subjective. I was refused a day off to get the church hall ready for my aunt's funeral and greet mourners some of whom had come from a distance. I was allowed to leave school at lunchtime with just time to get to the service, I was one of the last to arrive. I was my aunt's closest relative.

A staff member and his partner also on the staff were both given a whole day off for his father's funeral. Possibly two days, it was a while ago but still rankles.

A subsequent head closed the school for a day for everyone to attend her ex husband's funeral. I'd never met him and, being part time, was working elsewhere that day. A friend told me 'Your absence was noticed'.

trisher Fri 05-May-17 15:16:52

And you've got time off???? You must have the most sympathetic HT in the universe. Most of the schools I've taught in reluctantly gave funeral time for most relatives and for spouses perhaps a week, parents/siblings you might get a couple of days. if you wanted longer you needed to go off sick and produce the relevant paper work.

Ana Fri 05-May-17 14:46:16

Answer came there none...hmm

vicwarren Fri 05-May-17 14:25:44

We have had a death in the family Anya. My school is open still

Ana Fri 05-May-17 14:24:53

Never mind your current employment status, vicwarren, I'm waiting to hear your answer to Anya's question about whether you teach your pupils correct punctuation...

Anya Fri 05-May-17 14:19:49

Funny, my GC are all at school this week.

????

vicwarren Fri 05-May-17 14:18:11

Not at work this week Anya. The best part about not being at work is going for a wee when I want.

Anya Fri 05-May-17 13:49:26

And are you sure you ought to be posting on GN 'during lessons' (11.23am or are you in a different time zone?) vic - shouldn't you '.hold on' until 'break times/lunchtime and before going home'?

confused

Anya Fri 05-May-17 12:54:02

Do you teach them to punctuate too? hmm

vicwarren Fri 05-May-17 12:42:57

Yes i teach year 5, I do not let them go during class unless it is absolutely necessary, they go during break just like I do.

Anya Fri 05-May-17 12:36:50

That's not how it works. Of course they can use it when the need arises.

Have you ever worked in a primary classroom? I hope not.

vicwarren Fri 05-May-17 12:34:15

yes that they can use in the morning/break time/lunchtime and before going home, not during lessons.

Anya Fri 05-May-17 12:21:26

That is totally illogical vicwarren

In schools there are toilets close to classrooms. On the motorway you have no option.

Duh!

vicwarren Fri 05-May-17 11:23:34

There are many circumstances where a child might have to hold on. Making them wait until break time unless it really is necessary is no different from telling them to wait when your in a car on the motorway.

Like i said earlier never had any accidents or complaints, if they really need to go they just quietly tell me by coming to my desk or i go to them they do not have broadcast it around the room.

vampirequeen Thu 04-May-17 14:33:24

"...would never embarrass or make a child feel uncomfortable."

So making them say, "it really is urgent Miss" or "Can I please go Miss I'm bursting" isn't embarrassing or uncomfortable.

When I was younger I worked under a really draconian chief clerk who insisted on ruling virtually every aspect of our working lives but even she didn't demand that we only went to toilet at set times.

vicwarren Wed 03-May-17 19:54:38

Grannypiper

No of course i would not make your dd wait, as i assume you would inform me of a medical condition.

Since when have teachers used mobiles during class

grannypiper Wed 03-May-17 19:50:16

Do Teachers have to forfeit their break time everytime they use their mobile phones in class ?

grannypiper Wed 03-May-17 19:49:15

vicwarren as i pointed out in a previous post, my DD had a serious kidney problem and still the numbskull she had for a teacher would not let he out of the classroom which ended with my DD being very ill. Would you have made my DD wait as well ?

vicwarren Wed 03-May-17 19:48:28

Vampire

They do not have to explain in front of the other children or to me, they just have to say "it really is urgent Miss" or "Can i please go Miss I'm bursting". Being a women i do know what it was like first hitting puberty and would never embarrass or make a child feel uncomfortable.

vampirequeen Wed 03-May-17 19:30:25

So now children are being punished by loosing 10 mins playtime if they go to the toilet. Imagine an adult being told they'd have their pay docked if they went to toilets outside of certain times.

vicwarren I have to say that if you were my daughter's teacher we would be at loggerheads. You expect a girl who has just hit puberty to feel comfortable telling you she needs the toilet because she's on her period let alone doing it in front of other girls and, worse still, boys.

When I used to have periods my bladder was always affected and I had to go to the toilet far more often. I didn't have to share that information at work. I simply went to the toilet when I needed to.

What right have you got to expect to be told personal information that you don't need to know? What right have you to put a child in a potentially embarrassing or humiliating situation? Not going to the toilet when you need to can be painful. What right have you got to inflict pain on others?

mcem Wed 03-May-17 19:07:10

Very rigid in your opinions here vic.
May I just ask if Vic is an abbreviation of Victor or Victoria?

Madgran77 Wed 03-May-17 18:37:26

vicwarren I was referring to the original post not your comment ....its the 6 year old bit that I can't believe, its too young to be expecting them to wait ....shock

vicwarren Wed 03-May-17 16:45:06

If a girl indicated she was on her period or a child said they could not wait then i would let them go, but as a general rule its a no to toilet in class time, it is not that long before a break.

As sunlover says as a teacher you get to know your children well.