Gransnet forums

Education

Secondary school appeal update

(85 Posts)
gillybob Wed 07-Jun-17 13:00:51

Hi All many of you may recall that we are in the process of going through a traumatic secondary school appeal for my granddaughter.

The school concerned have been completely inflexible by saying that any appeal date given cannot be changed for whatever reason and the appeal will go ahead on the day/time whether you are there or not.

The appeal is being heard in an area notoriously hard to get to in morning traffic.

Yesterday an updated letter arrived to my DDiL stating that the appeal will now be heard over 2 days and if you wish to be present at the appeal you must be available from 09.00 - 16.30 on both days. The school will make their address on day one and they are not able to say exactly when you will be called in front of the panel on day two.

Is it just me? is this totally unreasonable? how can they be allowed to get away with this?

Are they hoping that by making things so awkward you will withdraw your appeal or not turn up?

I am fuming angry

MiniMouse Wed 28-Jun-17 20:56:19

Gilly that's absolutely fantastic! Well done to all of you for persevering, especially when it seemed to be such an unattainable goal. I'm feeling quite emotional on your behalf! blush

annsixty Wed 28-Jun-17 21:15:22

I just can't say how happy I feel for you all but especially for your GD who will be with her friends and who will spend a summer of happy anticipation and not of unhappiness. Well done in fighting for your beliefs.

gillybob Wed 28-Jun-17 21:26:54

We are all completely ecstatic ! DGD can't wait for school tomorrow so she can share her news with her teacher and the head of her primary . Tonight she is like a different child . Happily making plans and writing lists! Bless her she is planning her walk to school and what time she will leave the house etc. I haven't heard her do animated for ages .

I have my faith restored in human nature and common sense . Worried that the school might single her out as the " one who got in via appeal" but DH said I am being silly . ( nothing new ) smile

Can't tell you how much I appreciate all your lovely messages . Feeling tearful reading through the thread . Have had one or two wine just to celebrate. It would be rude not to . Xxx

mumofmadboys Wed 28-Jun-17 22:07:46

Keep smiling Gillybob! Great news!

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 23:55:28

gillybob - you can start a genuine school uniform thread wink

Chewbacca Thu 29-Jun-17 00:08:44

Brilliant news Gillybob , I'm so pleased for you and your grandaughter. A huge well done and congratulations to you all!

gillybob Thu 29-Jun-17 09:18:05

I noticed that one yesterday Jalima1108 grin

I wonder where I could get my DGD a pair of shoes/pumps for £2 confused

Seriously I am really looking forward to helping get her uniform together. She was excited at the prospect of wearing a blazer as she's never had one before . She's so tiny ( still wearing aged 6-7 at primary) that we might have to go "made to measure" wink

goose1964 Thu 29-Jun-17 10:17:34

I know it says you can chose your school but it's just preferences, it you meet the criteria to your first you will get a place, if not your second will be looked at. For an appeal to work you need to prove the criteria were met but you still didn't get a place

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Jun-17 10:20:45

I thought it was only DGS that got the pumps, the DGD gets Vans grin whatever they are.

gillybob Thu 29-Jun-17 11:29:00

There are times when the admission criteria is proved to be quite unreasonable too goose1964 although they may have followecitvto the letter . I don't want to say too much more on an open forum for obvious reasons. The problem arises when there is one school in one area and the next nearest is miles away .

gillybob Thu 29-Jun-17 11:30:56

Vans are a posh ( brand) name for plimsolls Jalima nothing special at all .

Just got the list for what DGD needs .... blimey need to take out a second third mortgage. grin

harrigran Thu 29-Jun-17 12:31:29

I have just read your message gilly, I am so pleased for you and your family, absolutely great news.
I was your GD 60 years ago and everything was fine when I got to the school my mother fought for, she even had to go to MP.
I know what you mean about uniform, GD's has to be bought through the school so no chance of cutting corners. GD has an appointment in two weeks to be measured and kitted out, list is more of a booklet shock

BBbevan Thu 29-Jun-17 21:15:08

How utterly wonderful for you all. Sense has prevailed. You can now have a lovely summer. Well done and good luck to your precious GD in her new school.

Norah Fri 30-Jun-17 06:16:02

Oh, uniform fittings, and bits. You will have a lovely time!

Anya Fri 30-Jun-17 07:12:28

Hi Gilly I've been away for a couple of days and only just read your great news.

I'm delighted for you.

Now your GD can relax and enjoy her summer sunshine

NfkDumpling Fri 30-Jun-17 07:28:39

Just caught up too - Fantastic News! I'm sure your DGD will be an asset to her school and they'll be delighted to have her.

I agree with Granny23 that it would be good if you could take this further once the dust has settled. There are so many parents having to go through this angst. There must be a better more sensible and sensitive way.

Well done to you and your family!

morethan2 Fri 30-Jun-17 07:57:51

Great news. Cheered me up no end. Well done all your efforts rewarded. Hope you have a little celebration with your beloved granddaughter.

gillybob Fri 30-Jun-17 08:26:54

Thank you again everyone for your good wishes and kind comments . DGD is still high as a kite and can't believe that she will be able to go to the school she can almost see from her bedroom window ( well the playing field anyway) . She is like a changed child . It's like someone has lifted a huge weight from her little shoulders . Well I suppose they have .
Am thinking about the future and would like to be able to do something for other children who may be in a similar position . Not sure What yet though.

Anya Fri 30-Jun-17 08:30:55

You could apply to be on school appeals panel. I did this a couple of years ago as they were looking for lay volunteers. I was accepted but then had to turn down the offer due to family commitments.

Nelliemoser Fri 30-Jun-17 08:33:58

Gillybob Well done for persevering. You should be really proud of yourself for all you have done to make this work.

I know how stressful you have found this process.
Big smiles on your behalf from me as well. grin grin grin grin

trisher Fri 30-Jun-17 09:26:47

Well done gillybob hope you and your DGD have a fantastic summer knowing she is taken care of. You worked so hard for it, so pleased you got such a great result.

moomin Fri 30-Jun-17 10:47:55

So pleased to hear your good news gilly, no wonder you DGD is ecstatic smile

silverlining48 Fri 30-Jun-17 10:49:57

So pleased for you. its sometimes worth the huge struggle with an immoveable force when you win. Well done. You must all be delighted.

Juggernaut Fri 30-Jun-17 11:11:03

Gillybob
Bloody Brilliant!
It just shows what us 'little people' can achieve when we really fight for what's right!
Your DH is right, there'll be no 'singling out' of your DGD. The Headteacher wouldn't dare do or say anything, and the rest of the staff won't know, stop worrying!
Many, many Congratulations on winning a hard fought battle! X

Penstemmon Fri 30-Jun-17 12:24:03

I am absolutely thrilled for you gilly and of course your granddaughter xx Great newsgrin wine