Gransnet forums

Education

Secondary school appeal update

(85 Posts)
gillybob Wed 07-Jun-17 13:00:51

Hi All many of you may recall that we are in the process of going through a traumatic secondary school appeal for my granddaughter.

The school concerned have been completely inflexible by saying that any appeal date given cannot be changed for whatever reason and the appeal will go ahead on the day/time whether you are there or not.

The appeal is being heard in an area notoriously hard to get to in morning traffic.

Yesterday an updated letter arrived to my DDiL stating that the appeal will now be heard over 2 days and if you wish to be present at the appeal you must be available from 09.00 - 16.30 on both days. The school will make their address on day one and they are not able to say exactly when you will be called in front of the panel on day two.

Is it just me? is this totally unreasonable? how can they be allowed to get away with this?

Are they hoping that by making things so awkward you will withdraw your appeal or not turn up?

I am fuming angry

gillybob Fri 30-Jun-17 13:01:34

I feel genuinely tearful reading all these lovely messages. I would like to express my sincere thanks to all those who have offered good advice and support over the past months , it has all been worth it. We feel like we have won a major battle for the "little" person !

Yes I know you're right Juggenaut it's just me being my paranoid self. Actually the school telephoned my DIL this morning and she said they were lovely and said they can't wait to meet my DGD for the first time. They said they will take extra care to ensure she mixes well ( all the other children know each other from feeders) and asked her interests etc. Which I thought was very kind of them . The problem will now be finding a uniform to fit an 11 year old who wears an age 7-8 clothes ! grin

Notme Fri 30-Jun-17 13:08:24

So glad for you gillybob! smile You obviously love that little girl so much. Best wishes to her.

Jalima1108 Fri 30-Jun-17 14:37:54

Even if the other children know each other from feeders, if it is anything like the school my DC went to, they will mix them all up across the forms; there may not be more than one child per form who has come from a small village feeder school. DD was sick with nerves because we were new to the area and she knew no-one but she soon settled in and made friends.

mcem Fri 30-Jun-17 15:20:02

We moved from one side of town to the other as my DS moved up from primary to secondary. He was the only one from his ps but it was no problem at all.
After all your family has been through I don't think it will be a big issue especially as the school has made provision.
Enjoy the holidays!
(School term ended today for my 2 wee ones.)

gillybob Fri 30-Jun-17 15:34:14

There is a PAN of 195 for this year 7 Jalima all made up of the three main entrance criteria ; feeder children, sibling link and looked after children . For the past 5 years they have never admitted on appeal and have never reached the 4th criteria which is distance . Not sure if any other children got in on appeal
( we know there were 18 appeals) . The minx in me hopes there are others but the "granny lion"
in me has stopped worrying about other people's children. Hope that doesn't sound selfish . But in these appeals, boy is it each man for themselves ! Some people don't half show their true colours .. shock

Anya Fri 30-Jun-17 15:45:23

My GS is the only one from his primary going to his new secondary. It's hopefully a change to start afresh away from those who bullied him. He has a noticeable Ptosis in his right eye and is due to have it operated upon during the summer break. We are hoping the operation (which will have to be paid for privateiy) will be a success.

gillybob Fri 30-Jun-17 15:53:53

Yes Anya a fresh start indeed . let's hope so Poor little lad . I hate bullies . It's true what people say that you make a whole new group of friends in secondary school as you tend to meet and mix with others who share similar interests to you. My DGD was going to be at a school where she knew no one whether she had won the appeal or not it just means that winning the appeal means she will be close to home instead of miles away in an area she doesn't know . I do hope you little GS's operation goes well . They're nothing but worry are they ? I guess that's 'cos we love them so much . smile

harrigran Fri 30-Jun-17 23:25:08

My GD lives in a village and will be the only child from her school to travel to the next city for school in September. She has met her new classmates and has been allocated her house, so confident for one so young.

gillybob Sat 01-Jul-17 10:38:29

DGD will meet her new classmates in a couple of weeks time when she attends the new school for 2 whole days . To say she is excited is the understatement of the year !

Happy days smile