Gransnet forums

Education

Did YOU learn English grammar at school? Me no.

(106 Posts)
TriciaF Sun 24-Sep-17 14:09:20

giulia - is Italian similar to classical Latin?
I once met a group of young Italians (ages ago) and found I could communicate with them in a mixture of my schoolgirl french and latin.
I learned some english grammar in secondary school - the bit I enjoyed most was précis - (not sure if that's grammar).

giulia Sun 24-Sep-17 13:50:39

cherryhatrick PS: WOTZ PARSING?blush

giulia Sun 24-Sep-17 13:48:57

cherryhatrick - the subjunctive is a total nightmare in the Italian language but sooo easy in English. It's at this point I can boast about what a simple, logical language ours is on the whole. They say you only need 200 words of English to travel and be understood everywhere!

CherryHatrick Sun 24-Sep-17 13:41:50

My experience is much the same as yours, giulia. Basic English writing with strict correction of spelling and sentence construction at the Primary level and then English Language as a separate subject at Secondary level. My first Grammar School loved parsing as a teaching aid and had us define each word in the sentence. When I moved areas and schools and was asked to parse a given sentence, I did as I had previously been taught, but was told that all they needed was for me to state subject and predicate.
I think we were taught the names of the tenses, because they are in the text books of the time, but I only remember that in a perfect tense the action has been completed and in a continuous tense it hasn't....maybe...
Like you I have been asked to help neighbours and friends with their English, and working out which tense is which can be tricky, as English text books produced in Spain seem to have their own nomenclature that tallies more with the Spanish names than the English. Just don't ask me to explain the Subjunctive!

FarNorth Sun 24-Sep-17 13:32:41

I remember splitting sentences into principal clause, subordinate clause, nominative case etc, in primary 4. I think most of the class was totally confused by it.
In secondary school, it was handy to know that stuff when learning other languages.

My DD said she was very confused about English grammar until she learnt Esperanto and then retro-fitted its grammar to her knowledge of English.

giulia Sun 24-Sep-17 13:12:04

I think my State school education covered the period when this was at its best (around 1947 - 1963). My early memories of English Language studies were: spelling, dictation and reading reading reading from an early age.
I have vague memories at grammar school of adverbial adjectives versus adjectival adjectives but it was all Composition "Autumn is here, the Leaves are falling..." blah blah blah - and every mistake in punctuation or vocabulary was rigorously corrected. I remember also we were taught not to use "nice", considered a lazy person's adjective.
Living in a European country, I was constantly bullied by my neighbours to coach their kids in English "because you're mother-tongue". I eventually succumbed and was puzzled and worried by my total inability to explain our grammar "What the hell is present simple or past continuous or present perfect?!" Having to learn these Step-by-Step I thought my memory had gone as I did not recall ever having learned these grammatical structures previously. Several years later (and by now considered a very successful English teacher) I approached an American colleague in a school asking "Um..er..by the way - did you learn grammar when you were at school?" "No!" she replied. "No way!". Am I unique in this discovery that we learned our language in a purely hands-on way? To me this was perfectly adequate. What do you think?