Gransnet forums

Education

Homework Buddy (private tutoring) for parents, grandparents and carers

(31 Posts)
bev12345 Wed 01-Nov-17 08:23:24

As a primary school teacher, parents, grandparents and child minders all remark how difficult it is to support children with their homework. If a private tutor was to offer tutoring support to carers as well as children, tutoring in way that cut through jargon and simplified things, what would you be prepared to pay? What would your expectations be and would this be something you would take up? Look forward to reading your comments. Thank you!

Deedaa Thu 02-Nov-17 21:19:46

GS1 has a tutor to help with his writing and spelling. His latest one is very interested in the history and development of language and has been a great help. It's no good producing really imaginative work if no one can decipher what you write.

DavidSmith1 Thu 18-Jan-18 12:37:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Luckygirl Thu 18-Jan-18 13:37:23

Absolutely not! The homework that a primary school child (or indeed any child) receives should follow on from a lesson and be something that they are able to do entirely by themselves without parental involvement.

And frankly, primary school children should not have any at all.

I always make a point of not getting anything out of GCs' school bags when I pick them up. We have a hug, a warm drink of milk and lots of books to be read to them.

To hell with homework say I!

By the way, I took the same approach with my own children and they all have degrees, and one a masters. I cannot ever remember doing homework with them.

Elegran Thu 18-Jan-18 13:51:32

I found four grammatical mistakes in the opening post by bev, one in each of his/her other posts, and a completely unwarranted accusation that mcem's was ungrammatical.

I would not pay anything to have him/her tutor any child of mine.

eazybee Thu 18-Jan-18 15:40:50

Actually, some children enjoy homework and ask for it.
But it should always be something the child is able to do unaided, without adult help, and reinforce what has been taught in school.
Getting the child to start is another matter!